PDA

View Full Version : White Abysinnian ?

wayne0214
09-28-2002, 02:32 PM
One of the nearby animal shelters is advertising a "white Abyssinian". Has any one heard of such an "animal". In all the literature that I have read on Abys, I have never heard of a white one.

neko1
09-28-2002, 03:54 PM
I have never heard of a white aby. I'm sure the shelter just doesn't know what colors abys are. Maybe the aby is silver, cream or fawn. The CFA standard will disqualify an aby with white anywhere other than the nostril, chin, or upper throat area.

wayne0214
09-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Neco 1, your deduction is what I am thinking also. So many times the cats which are of some obvious breed are not listed as such, while those of no breed are listed as being such. They did show a small picture of the cat, and from what I can tell, it is all white.

..............wayne

neko1
09-28-2002, 04:17 PM
I also have noticed that on petfinder.org. Sometimes I go there to look for abys and they have more DSH listed as abys than actual abys. I've seen all black cats, tiger striped cats, etc...being listed as Abyssinians and that's just not the case. They are not abys. If the cat is all white, then he's not an aby.

Uabassoon
09-28-2002, 05:21 PM
I've seen that too on Petfinder, I look for SIamese but then these black cats show up listed as a siamese

jenluckenbach
09-28-2002, 05:54 PM
Shelter people do not have a clue on breeds, and this includes dogs as well as cats. So don't believe everything you read./ I have seen many a pet mislabeled at the shelters.

wayne0214
09-29-2002, 02:55 PM
yes, and if they weren't so far away, I'd volunteer my time at a cat rescue. While in Tucson, I did purchase 3 cat books, one is large and full of colored breed pictures.

......................wayne

The Cat Factory
09-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Usually on Pet Finder, If a cat is part Siamese, Manx etc. They will list "Siamese" on the main page. When you actually click on the picture you will notice at the top that it says, Siamese Mix. The white Aby that the shelter has is probably and Aby crossed with a domestic shorthair or a rare albino Aby. Which I believe do exist. The people at the shelters aren't idiots jenluckenbach. At least out here in Canada they aren't. When you go to work at a shelter you develop a love for cat or dogs and start studying breeds. Someone could have gave the white Aby up for adoption and listed it under white Aby. It's not the shelter it's the people that bring their animals in that list it a a certain breed or mixed breed!