PDA

View Full Version : Update on Dobby

Medusa
06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I haven't been able to find the original thread about Dobby so I've started this one so that you can see his progress. This is the email that I just received:

Latest on Dobby is that he’s wearing his leg brace nearly 12 hours a day. He has to do range of motion exercises three times a day and physical therapy on the back leg once a day. However, at worst, he’ll only need a tendon repair, at best, he’ll regain most of his function in that leg. The other two legs are not going to be operated on. The doctor and physical therapist feel that those legs have 75-80 percent function, the joints have fused, and to rebreak would put his weight on the severely injured leg. Right now, he’s going to PT every day during the week, and Rebecca and John are doing his ROM exercises morning, noon, and night. The orthopedist and PT are hopeful that no surgery will be needed. If it is, they are suggesting waiting for several months and letting him wear the brace during that time, to strengthen the tendons as much as possible. Part of the problem is that his leg was so injured, the tendons were lax. The brace not only forces the bones and muscles into the right position, it holds the tendons in place and it’s hoped that this will eventually cause the body to shorten them and bring them back into place too. The PT said it’s not unheard of.

He has an assortment of exercise equipment. We were lucky to have the funds, because even without the surgery, the rounds of x-rays, the daily PT, and all his accessories have cost money. But in the end, this kitty, although maybe never 100 percent “normal” will live out a happy, normal life. Rebecca said that everyone who meets him falls in love with him, and she’s had numerous people, even in the waiting room, ask about adopting him. I wish all special needs cats had such great stories. Even at the worst, he will be like Magic Max, who learns to do his little hop/run and is on glucosamine daily—and that is it for now.

In six weeks, the PT will release him, and he will go to his forever home with Mari. She will continue to do his exercises, and he’ll continue to wear the brace, but will follow up with Mari’s vet in Houston for x-rays in six months.

Laura's Babies
06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
That story has a GREAT ending.. What a wonderful update!!

GILL
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
GREAT NEWS, we just need more happy endings like this.

phesina
06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Such a wonderful story. God bless everyone who helped to bring this about!

catmandu
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Thats such an inspirational story on Dobby, and if some can snail mail me his address, there will be an AWA Mouse or Two on the way foe Dear Dobby to play with!!!
What a Brave Cat!!!
:love::love::love:

lvpets2002
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
:love: WoW that is such Great News.. So glad all is turning out good for him.. He is a brave wittle young man..

phesina
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Thats such an inspirational story on Dobby, and if some can snail mail me his address, there will be an AWA Mouse or Two on the way foe Dear Dobby to play with!!!
What a Brave Cat!!!
:love::love::love:

Gary, here is Darling Dobby's Web Site: http://www.tomballsos.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=1389799

Contact Dobby's foster at [email protected] for information about Dobby.

And here is his snail-mail address:
c/o Tomball SOS
Magnolia, TX 77354

Helene, are they anywhere near you??!