PDA

View Full Version : Harley's a Daddy!

stace1319
06-10-2009, 06:03 AM
my mom woke me up this mourning at 6 am... apparently she just broke into my house, lol, and handed me this tiny bundle of white spots. I know you're not supposed to disturb wild life, but her dog Cedrik got the baby and the mother never returned for it! I have to go to the feed store soone to find some colostrum and milk for it. I have no clue how to take care of a fawn. I've raised LOTS of wildlife but never deer so if anyone on here has, please give me some tips. Harley really seems to love the baby and has been guarding it (from what? only he knows) since it got here.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/stace1319/deer001.jpg
new baby in the house

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/stace1319/deer002.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/stace1319/deer003.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/stace1319/deer004.jpg
"i dunno what you are... but I like you"

beeniesmom
06-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Oh how adorable. I would ask the local spca how to care for one.

Seravieve
06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
That's so adorable!

I'd probably call around and find out what wildlife org to turn it over to. Fish & Game Dept probably but I'm not too sure.

lvpets2002
06-10-2009, 09:18 AM
:love: This wittle Fawn is so Adorable & Cute.. I would advise you contact your local Game Warden for help.. It is also against the law to have a wild animal & raising.. Now I hope you live in the country so no-one can turn you in..

stace1319
06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
it had maggots in the few poncture wounds it had. I cleaned about 99% of them out. I guess that is why it smelled so bad. After its bath and a few bottle breaks i sat it outside on a towl. Harley is helping ALOT. He is out there right now standing over it and licking it clean. I contacted the DNR and they said that the mother will find it but the dogs brought it in and it was left in the ditch all night. I just don't think she will take it back and I
m afraid it will starve to death. :(

mr.chiwawa
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
If that's the course nature chooses for the animal then that's what will be done. I am all for rescuing animals but sometimes after you call the correct office it is wise to do as they advise. I am sure I sound nasty but a friend of mine got into HUGE trouble when she tried to save a baby fox...

Husky_mom
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
soo cute!!...

someone else (not sure where) also found one in their garage.. and momma came for him the next day... so if thereīs a way you can have him visible for mom but safe from everything else.. I bet Harley can take the task...

I would too continue to feed until you are sure mom is there... I know what wildlife people say to leave it alone on his own.. but I just couldnīt leave it.. I could leave him nearby and very well fed... and check often and feed again if needed until momma came by...

happylabs
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
soo cute!!...

someone else (not sure where) also found one in their garage.. and momma came for him the next day... so if thereīs a way you can have him visible for mom but safe from everything else.. I bet Harley can take the task...

I would too continue to feed until you are sure mom is there... I know what wildlife people say to leave it alone on his own.. but I just couldnīt leave it.. I could leave him nearby and very well fed... and check often and feed again if needed until momma came by...

I agree. Now that you have medicated him and cleaned him up he should go back out. His momma is probably looking for him.

lvpets2002
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
:) The only problem is now that there is human, dog & medication smell all over the Fawn means the mother will not accept the baby back.. You will be very lucky if she does.. Good Luck
I agree. Now that you have medicated him and cleaned him up he should go back out. His momma is probably looking for him.

IRescue452
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
How's the baby? I think the old wive's tale about human smell on a baby animal and the mother not taking it back has been busted for a long time.