PDA

View Full Version : Boy, do I ever need input! *Update* 6/22/09; post #22

Medusa
06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
As you may recall, I've recently started a cat sitting business. I'm getting a lot of interest and have booked one gig so far and will be attending a fund raiser this month and will try to drum up some more business there as well. Anyhow....I spoke to one woman who is interested in my service but she has 23 cats. She laughed when I told her that I'm down to 6. LOL I've taken care of as many as 27 outdoor cats at one time but that's totally different from taking care of that many indoor cats. Those cats were rescues that I had altered, vetted and placed in homes after much socialization, etc.

I have a friend who still is active in rescue and TNR and he's forwarded my email to hundreds (no exaggeration) of people who have multiple cat households. He told me that some of the people haven't been able to go on vacation, etc. for years, one for 17 years and they're excited that I would be willing to take them on as clients. He himself hasn't had a vacation in 4 years and he has only 7 cats, so I booked him for September and he's thrilled.

So. I need as much input as I can get from those of you who have lots of cats. I'm sure that I'm up to the task but what I'm looking for are pointers, time savers, etc. that will enable me to be more efficient. The kicker is that this woman will be gone for 6 weeks, so this is quite a commitment from both of us. She wants to take her granddaughter on a trip to WA and I don't want to let her down so I'd like to go in there confident that I can put her mind at ease that I've got it all under control. Anything that you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. :)

Grace
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
For the woman with 23 cats - the first thing I thought about - if she doesn't have one already, she needs to put together a notebook. One page for each cat with a picture, vital statistics, and helpful info.

We are like you, with 6 cats, and I have done this for mine. Big help to the neighbors who cat sit for us.

pomtzu
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
All I can say is - YIKES!! I can't even imagine. :eek: The most I ever had at one time was 3. :)

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
That is a great idea Grace! I've only had to deal with 13 at once and they were all in a motorhome. It's wasn't bad actually.
I am guessing you'll go over a few times before she leaves to get acquainted a bit to them and her routine. That's my only suggestion.
Good luck with your business! :)

Medusa
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
For the woman with 23 cats - the first thing I thought about - if she doesn't have one already, she needs to put together a notebook. One page for each cat with a picture, vital statistics, and helpful info.

We are like you, with 6 cats, and I have done this for mine. Big help to the neighbors who cat sit for us.

I'm w/ya on that one. I have a form for each client w/all the pertinent info included.

moosmom
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
What Ellie said...YIKES!!!

Since I started my business I've gotten 3 gigs, all in August. One at mycousin's house with a full fridge, swimming pool and hot tub. Can't wait!!!!! All that and I'm getting paid too!!

You might want to ask a friend to come along and help. 23 cats is alot of cats (I've got 6 and that's too many!!)

Freedom
06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
My thoughts (beyond the YIKES of many others, lol!) --

1. most of us with multiple indoor cats don't have collars and ID tags on them. I did get all that and USED it when I had the kitchen renovation going on, as escapes were a higher possibility. Didn't happen, thank goodness. But I wonder if the person with 23 needs to have collars and IDs on for YOUR benefit and her cats' safety. Not for escapes -- you won't let that happen, you are a cat person. But if some issue arises and you need to get one to the vet, can you match a cat to a photo book with 23 pics? Also for her cats' comfort, as with the friendlier ones you will be able to address them by name as you cuddle them.

2. I like the photo book idea, don't get me wrong. Cats who aren't used to wearing collars do get them off quickly. (Tommy and Tuppence declined to wear theirs at all the entire 6 weeks of my renovation. :rolleyes:) Having a listing of the cats, any food or meds issues listed, it great, and a photo in case the collar comes off.

3. Don't need to tell you, with that many, are there any who don't get along with each other? Does she allow all the run of the house, or do 6 stay upstairs, 9 stay downstairs, several in the cellar. You get the idea.

4. How many litter boxes does she have? YOWSER!! :eek: I have 8 boxes and it takes me 15 minutes to scoop (alright so I am playing with cats as I go. And everyone seems to need to use THE BOX I am scooping which slows me down.) You will need to build in enough time for your daily visit.

Not sure what more to add. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Medusa
06-09-2009, 01:05 PM

1. most of us with multiple indoor cats don't have collars and ID tags on them. I did get all that and USED it when I had the kitchen renovation going on, as escapes were a higher possibility. Didn't happen, thank goodness. But I wonder if the person with 23 needs to have collars and IDs on for YOUR benefit and her cats' safety. Not for escapes -- you won't let that happen, you are a cat person. But if some issue arises and you need to get one to the vet, can you match a cat to a photo book with 23 pics? Also for her cats' comfort, as with the friendlier ones you will be able to address them by name as you cuddle them.

2. I like the photo book idea, don't get me wrong. Cats who aren't used to wearing collars do get them off quickly. (Tommy and Tuppence declined to wear theirs at all the entire 6 weeks of my renovation. :rolleyes:) Having a listing of the cats, any food or meds issues listed, it great, and a photo in case the collar comes off.

3. Don't need to tell you, with that many, are there any who don't get along with each other? Does she allow all the run of the house, or do 6 stay upstairs, 9 stay downstairs, several in the cellar. You get the idea.

4. How many litter boxes does she have? YOWSER!! :eek: I have 8 boxes and it takes me 15 minutes to scoop (alright so I am playing with cats as I go. And everyone seems to need to use THE BOX I am scooping which slows me down.) You will need to build in enough time for your daily visit.

Not sure what more to add. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

She has some on one floor, some on another and some in the basement, so apparently there are issues w/them getting along w/each other. I'll meet w/her next week. I told her that I can't give her a definitive answer until we meet and I see what her set up is, how her cats take to me, etc. Once I see what's really going on, I'll have a better idea. My rescue friend did tell me, though, that in rescue circles, 23 cats is not uncommon; some have more. I assume, though, that they also have help w/taking care of so many so to ask me, one person, to take care of all of them is a bit of a stretch but I won't make any judgments until I see for myself.

I have 10 litter boxes and it takes me a good 15 minutes to clean them, too. So I figure that I'll also either have to charge her extra so buy litter because she'll be gone for 6 weeks or she'll have to really stock up before she leaves. Same w/cat food. If I'm going to be running to the store for supplies, I'll need to be compensated for gas and time but, hopefully, she'll have planned ahead and will have enough of everything.

Anikaca77
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
4. How many litter boxes does she have? YOWSER!! I have 8 boxes and it takes me 15 minutes to scoop (alright so I am playing with cats as I go. And everyone seems to need to use THE BOX I am scooping which slows me down.) You will need to build in enough time for your daily visit.

What takes me the longest is after I clean a box someone has to go in the clean box and I end up having to go clean that same box again.

happylabs
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow. :eek: 23 cats...I would not know where to begin. I have 4 cats, 6 - 8 litter boxes going at a time and like someone else said it takes me 15 minutes to clean those. I hope you get some tips because I am always looking for an easier way to clean litter boxes.

I hope your business goes well too.

katladyd
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I only have two cats at my house, and my boyfriend has two at his. I really find it hard to go on vacation because one of my cats needs meds every evening, and he is not easy for anyone to pill but me. I would love to find a cat-sitter who can pill a large, very reluctant, Siamese.

Medusa
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I only have two cats at my house, and my boyfriend has two at his. I really find it hard to go on vacation because one of my cats needs meds every evening, and he is not easy for anyone to pill but me. I would love to find a cat-sitter who can pill a large, very reluctant, Siamese.

I'm pretty good at pilling. I tilt the head back and pop that pill in before they even know what happened. LOL

Medusa
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow. :eek: 23 cats...I would not know where to begin. I have 4 cats, 6 - 8 litter boxes going at a time and like someone else said it takes me 15 minutes to clean those. I hope you get some tips because I am always looking for an easier way to clean litter boxes.

I hope your business goes well too.

Thanx. I have some pretty steep competition, one of which is a vet tech but she handles all types of pets and I only take clients w/cats. This lady w/23 cats also has two dogs, one of which is a pit bull. She's going to kennel one dog but so far no one will take her pit bull. I told her "no exceptions". I dog sit for friends but I know their dogs and they know me. I had dogs for over 20 years so it isn't that I don't like dogs, I love them, but I don't want to have to walk them in inclement weather, etc. and in Ohio, we have plenty of that.

Husky_mom
06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
WOW!!....

I think someone is going to have a few sleepovers ;)

quite the task... but I bet you`ll get tons more after that... by doing this one the rest will be like a breeze...

Glacier
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
As someone just back from their first vacation in 10 years, I can tell you what we did for our petsitter.....I have nine cats and at the time had 25 dogs(down to 24 now:()

1. A book with a page per animal with pictures. Included the animal's name, age, sex as well as their most obvious quirks, habits and any special needs. It was very helpful for her. She didn't panic when she didn't see Felicia for a couple days because I had written that Felicia would hide for a couple days. There is no such thing as too much info! She took the book as a memento of her trip!

2. In that book was also a page of emergency contacts....vet, pet crematorium(thank god that wasn't needed), friends & neighbors who know my animals and would help if she needed it.

3. A full contact list of everywhere we were going and when

4. A page called "Bare Bones Basics"...the stuff that absolutely had to be done every day.

5. A medication page. Meds were outlined on individual pages too. Critters with multiple medications or complicated dosing, I bought those pill reminder packs and had them all laid out for the entire time we were gone.

6. Written permission given to every vet I use granting the petsitter my complete permission to make any and all medical decisions, including euthansia if the vet felt that was the most humane option. This was on file with the vets and a copy left with the sitter.

7. A couple hundred bucks in cash to buy extra food, toys ect if she wanted. (I gave the remainder to her when I got back to use for a treat for herself.)

8. A credit card for any vet bills.

9. IMO, there is no way to deal with the number of animals I have by dropping in a couple times a day. They are a full time job! My petsitter lived in my house for 2 weeks. I paid her travel to get here(since I could not find anyone locally). I filled the fridge with food and copious amounts of cider(trust me, my dogs will drive anyone to drink eventually!).

10. My sitter came over three days before I left. She watched what I do for two days and the day before I left, I watched and made sure she had the routine down. It was much less stressful for her to be able to ask me questions while I was standing there instead of trying to make a phone call to Cuba!

11. Your client needs to have realistic expectations. Not everything will be done the way she does it. I did not care that Tehya didn't get to go for an adventure while I was gone or that no catnip was dispensed! I was thrilled to come home to happy, healthy critters.

Medusa
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
As someone just back from their first vacation in 10 years, I can tell you what we did for our petsitter.....I have nine cats and at the time had 25 dogs(down to 24 now:()

1. A book with a page per animal with pictures. Included the animal's name, age, sex as well as their most obvious quirks, habits and any special needs. It was very helpful for her. She didn't panic when she didn't see Felicia for a couple days because I had written that Felicia would hide for a couple days. There is no such thing as too much info! She took the book as a memento of her trip!

2. In that book was also a page of emergency contacts....vet, pet crematorium(thank god that wasn't needed), friends & neighbors who know my animals and would help if she needed it.

3. A full contact list of everywhere we were going and when

4. A page called "Bare Bones Basics"...the stuff that absolutely had to be done every day.

5. A medication page. Meds were outlined on individual pages too. Critters with multiple medications or complicated dosing, I bought those pill reminder packs and had them all laid out for the entire time we were gone.

6. Written permission given to every vet I use granting the petsitter my complete permission to make any and all medical decisions, including euthansia if the vet felt that was the most humane option. This was on file with the vets and a copy left with the sitter.

7. A couple hundred bucks in cash to buy extra food, toys ect if she wanted. (I gave the remainder to her when I got back to use for a treat for herself.)

8. A credit card for any vet bills.

9. IMO, there is no way to deal with the number of animals I have by dropping in a couple times a day. They are a full time job! My petsitter lived in my house for 2 weeks. I paid her travel to get here(since I could not find anyone locally). I filled the fridge with food and copious amounts of cider(trust me, my dogs will drive anyone to drink eventually!).

10. My sitter came over three days before I left. She watched what I do for two days and the day before I left, I watched and made sure she had the routine down. It was much less stressful for her to be able to ask me questions while I was standing there instead of trying to make a phone call to Cuba!

11. Your client needs to have realistic expectations. Not everything will be done the way she does it. I did not care that Tehya didn't get to go for an adventure while I was gone or that no catnip was dispensed! I was thrilled to come home to happy, healthy critters.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this. I've thought of everything except the photos of the cats. Everything else is standard on my forms that they'll sign and get a copy. She told me that she only wants me to go there once a day. She was adamant about that for some reason. I assured her that I'm not an "in and out" kind of cat sitter. I do more than just feed, water and clean litter boxes. I know that I'll be there for at least a couple of hours a day. I can't spend the night because of my Fur Posse. I need to know that Pidge is alright since she's so old and on heart meds. I really don't want to do the overnighters anyhow. I'm hoping that she does indeed have realistic expectations. I tell my cat sitter that, yes, vacuuming, etc. is nice but my cats are the most important. Take good care of them and the rest is gravy.

smokey the elder
06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
When I went to Disneyworld last year I had a total of 17 cats in the house, one of whom was diabetic. They were in different parts of the house; I had the pet sitter (another rescuer) over a few times to meet the cats, give Moby her insulin, feed and clean, and generally find out where things are. So that's a perspective from someone with a load of cats (although not 23!)

I gave her a list of all the vet #s, and opened an account at each to authorize any needed care. (I didn't need it, fortunately, but with an aging diabetic you never know.)

Being able to get in contact with the petsitter is very useful, just as a safety net to ask questions.

RICHARD
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM

1. most of us with multiple indoor cats don't have collars and ID tags on them.

OH, I just had the most delicious thought......You open the door and every cat has a tag on their chest...

HI, MY NAME IS......

Or

Demand that they wear numbered jerseys....can't tell a player without a scorecard?;)

jenluckenbach
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, there are 25 cats here in my home.

18 have the run of the 1st and 2nd floor and 7 have the 3rd floor.

total of 19 litter boxes.

The 3rd floor (fosters) are free fed dry food, so just scooping, filling dishes with food and water woud be all that is necessary.

Resident cats eat 2 times a day. Some eat dry some eat wet. They go in their own carriers, but I am unsure if they would do it for a stranger.

Scooping done in am and pm.

3 cats get pills for medical reasons each day, and 3 get pills for behavioral reasons twice each day.

all but one are easy to pill (they are SOOOOOOO used to it)

With one helper (Charlie) I can do the basics in 45 minutes for the am and 60 -75 minutes for the pm duties.

Thisw does not include any house cleaning, just cat duties.

catmandu
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
One thing taht would scare me about cat sitting would be escapes, especially with 23 Cats where you cant count heads as so many are hiding from you.:eek::eek:
And litterboxes for 23 Cats , the taking in and bringing out is a headache , I know from my 8 Found Cats.:p:p
And with Multi Cat Houeshlds making sure that everyone is fed, and that some Cats arent getting more than thier share!!!;);)
Good Luck with Your Mew Career!!!
:love::love::love:

Medusa
06-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Good Luck with Your Mew Career!!!
:love::love::love:

Good one, Gar! :D

Medusa
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, I just got home from meeting w/her. She's a dear little lady who just can't say 'no'. She rescued all of her cats from a woman whose rescue shelter went bankrupt and many of the animals were euthanized. This lady originally planned on adopting them out but you know how that goes.

The cats are all well cared for, I will say that, no sick ones (one is on thyroid medication but I mean no sickness from URI's or neglect, etc.). They all appear happy and seem to get along w/each other. She keeps them in separate rooms just so that she doesn't get overwhelmed herself but I gotta tell ya, she's overwhelmed and just doesn't realize it. The cats in the basement are the ones who fare best because they have lots of room to run around and it's cool down there. The ones upstairs are more sedate and a couple are cranky and the rooms are small and the smell is just overpowering. I actually had stomach cramps by the time I left and was afraid that I'd vomit.

As it also turns out, she is NOT going to be gone for 6 weeks but only 6 days. She misspoke. I can handle 6 days, no problem. She, however, balked at my fee. We discussed my fee on the phone but she was so excited to find someone who might be willing to cat sit that I know she didn't really hear me. So I left it that I'll wait to hear from her.

A couple of the cats were downright adorable. They're all special, of course, but there is a gray one that when I bent down to pet one of the others, jumped on my back. And he loves giving head bumpies. And there's a calico there that just glared at me like only my calico RB Puddy could do. LOL Made me chuckle. I knew better than to extend my hand, though. The lady told me that she's had her for 3 years and she still won't allow her to touch her. Yep, that's Puddy alright.

So there's the update. When/if I hear from her, I'll keep you posted on how it's working out. :)