PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward... New Beginning? *UPDATED*

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm applying for a Certified Nursing Assistant Training Program here at a local health care center. It is free - although, they only allow 10 applicants, and require you to work there for a year.

Strangely enough, many people have told me I won't be happy working with the elderly. No one has faith in me that this is what I WANT to do. This is my calling. I love to take care of people. I WILL do this, and I will succeed. This is what I am meant to do - take care of people.

Wish me luck that I make it into the program. :)

caseysmom
06-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I volunteered bingo when my daughter was in gymnastics, I absolutely loved working with the older crowd.

Edit to add Good Luck!

Casper
06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
My mum has been working as a CNA for around eight years now and she loves it. :) It can be hard work... (as my mum would say, "if you do it right"), and it is usually go-go-go all shift long, but it seems like it is worth it. Nursing homes always need more compassionate people working there... there are too many employed at such jobs that are doing it just for the paycheck.

Best of luck to you!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm so excited. I finished up the application, background check and resume today, so it will be in the mail tomorrow. I just need to get a few more reference to put down. I hope I get one of the 10 positions and they see that I am beyond dedicated to everything that I do and that I would be perfect for this.

momcat
06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Please know that you have my 1,000,000% support and encouragement. My Mom spent the last years of her life in a geriatric center. The care she received was extraordinary and some of her caregivers came to her funeral. I believe you can do this and succeed. Wishing you the very best of luck with your application. They'll know a good candidate when they see your application. Please let us know how this plays out?

Catty1
06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
You go, girl!:D

Karen
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
We'll be pulling for you!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Aww, thanks everyone! I'm so excited! Fingers crossed. :D

Laura's Babies
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
What the world needs is more people like you! GOOD LUCK!!!

K9karen
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Having home cared both parents before nursing homes became a must, and now caring for my 96 y.o. uncle who lives alone (healthy as a horse) as well as visiting his wife in a nursing home 3x a week, I can't tell you how satisfying, alas, difficult, it can be to care for the sick and elderly. I greatly admire the CNA's who administer to them. You have to be a certain kind of person, and I know that special person is you. I'm praying you get the job. The world needs more people like you.

carole
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
The very best of luck Megan, i think you would be great at this job, it does take a special kind of person with patience and tolerance and kindness, and YOU are that person Megan,it is a tough job though, but hey girl i have 100 per cent faith in you, good luck sweetie, let us know what happens, fingers and all paws crossed here for the best outcome for you.:love::love:

joycenalex
06-10-2009, 12:40 AM
megan, i took my first classes in being an NA in high school, it put me on a very happy enjoyable and satisfying career. may you be equally happy.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, the letter is in the mail. All we do is wait now. =] I've got some REALLY good references down, so I hope between my application, resume and references, I'll get a spot in the class. =]

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
GUESS WHO CALLED ME THIS MORNING TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW????

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have an interview with the Staff Lead tomorrow at 10am for one of the ten training positions. I'm so excited! I'm one step closer! :D

K9karen
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck! I know you'll make it to #1!

davidpizzica
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I wish you very good luck in landing that job. I'm starting a "New Beginning", too. In the next few weeks, I'll be going into an assisted living facility ( haven't decided which one yet ) here in the Pittsburgh area.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Interview went really well. She asked if I'd be willing to work 2nd/3rd shift, willing to hold up the CNA duties (bed pans, dressing, feeding, bathing etc.), working overtime if need be, quit my current job and work with them full-time, etc. I said yes to everything.

She noticed I'm a dog groomer so we had a good conversation about her huge black lab. =] I'm positive it went really well, and she asked me which class time I would prefer.

I have to wait 3-4 weeks for her to finish interviews and then she'll call and give me an answer. Wish me luck!

K9karen
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
What time is the 2nd shift? 3p-11p?

I thought of you today when I visited my aunt at the nursing home. It's amazing how some CNA's are like robots, while others really give a hoot. Thankfully, my aunt gets really good care and her girls are very nice. Watching the CNA's run around, so busy, exhausts me! I don't think a lot of people realize what a demanding job it is. You're taking intimate care of a stranger who needs you. I always remind the CNA's that it could be them someday. I KNOW you'll get the job, hands down! Gee....besides being a terrific, perfect candidate, I think "dog talk" clinched it! :p:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-10-2009, 12:12 AM
That's what I thought! The semi-personal conversation about our dogs and my other job seemed like a really good sign. I'm so antsy! I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for a response, lol. Fingers are still crossed! :D

Thank you so much for the kind words. Makes me that much more hopeful!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, and if I remember correctly, I think she said that second shift was something along the lines of 2:15-10:30pm and third was 10-6am.