PDA

View Full Version : Slave Soldiers

Grace
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I read this earlier, and was in tears by the end. Finally these men are getting their just recognition.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/08/berga.recognition/index.html

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
True American heroes - so glad that they finally got the recognition that they deserved.

blue
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
At least one injustice was righted.

I was pretty choked up until this...

"To all who shall see these presents, greeting: this is to certify that the President of the United States of America authorized by executive order, 24 August 1962, has awarded the Bronze Star Medal to Private Samuel Fahrer, Army of the United States, for meritorious achievement while serving with Medical Detachment, 110th Infantry Regiment in the European Theater of Operations on 19 December 1944, in military operations against an armed enemy of the United States."

He had earned the medal 65 years ago, but due to clerical errors it had never been given to him. Fahrer beamed with pride. He had shed few tears since his time at Berga. But on this night, even Fahrer had trouble containing his emotions. "I'm not the crying type, but it got me right here," he said, his hand over his heart as he searched for words.

THat not only brought me to tears but makes me very angry as well.

I hope efforts are being made for all of the soldiers who survived Brga, not just the living that couldnt attend this reccognition.

Puckstop31
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Hooah! Salute!

Grace
06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
blue, that stopped me in my tracks also.

So did several other items –

the government in 1948 commuted the death sentences of two Berga commanders, Erwin Metz and his superior, Hauptmann Ludwig Merz. – why on earth would they do this?

Then the documents they had to sign – not to talk about escapes, people who had assisted them, people who had helped them.. Okay, that is reasonable – protecting those that assisted them. But the government must have worded those documents poorly – if all the men thought they were not to speak of the camp at all – ever again.

blue
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
blue, that stopped me in my tracks also.

So did several other items –

the government in 1948 commuted the death sentences of two Berga commanders, Erwin Metz and his superior, Hauptmann Ludwig Merz. – why on earth would they do this?

That brings much angry for me.

Then the documents they had to sign – not to talk about escapes, people who had assisted them, people who had helped them.. Okay, that is reasonable – protecting those that assisted them. But the government must have worded those documents poorly – if all the men thought they were not to speak of the camp at all – ever again.

That is the injustice that can never be righted. I can understand not naming names if those that helpped POWs escape cant be protected, but to keep silent?

smokey the elder
06-09-2009, 07:32 AM
The general admitted that the exit paperwork was poorly worded.

The honor for these soldiers was way overdue. I'm glad they were acknowledged while a few of them were still alive.

Laura's Babies
06-11-2009, 07:54 AM
My heart goes out to those men having had to go trhough that and then being told not to talk about it... It was a horriable thing that happened to them and they couldn't talk about it? How were they suppose to heal? That was SO wrong!