PDA

View Full Version : Chance and the Elk

Queen of Poop
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Chance has a problem with letting the elk in the yard. Usually they run from him, but not on Wednesday. This one stood his ground.

Seravieve
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
WOW! That's amazing it didn't back down.

cassiesmom
06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow just because I'm a city kid and how neat to see Chance and an elk together! Do they try to visit often? What is it about them that they shouldn't be in the yard?

Varga
06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Haha. That's some great photos :D I've only seen elks in zoos. We don't have them in my country.
It hasn't got antlers... so I'm guessing it's a female? Or is it a male who has lost his antlers?. .. if they do lose them at all? lol, I have no idea.

blue
06-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Cool pics.

My dogs will charge moose, scares the carp out of me when they do that.

Cinder & Smoke
06-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Chance: " :eek: "

Appears the 'backing down' came from the Mighty Protective of the Domain ...
who stopped to analyze his options before jumping in with 4 feet! :p

Zipp & Zopp did that with about a dozen DEER who were nibbling on the lawn
when we returned in the Bus one night. I didn't see a thing.
Z&Z spotted the 'intruders' whislt I was backing into the garage, and kept quiet.

Not knowing there'd be a 'problem' - I let my Protectives out to powder their noses.
Zipp & Zopp charged toward the pond with lil Fluffie Tailed Bowser trying to keep up.
The 3-way BARK-a-Thon started when they got close - which spooked the Deer Mob
into blind flight - Straight AT the charging Protectives.

:eek:

Thankfully, NUNbuddie got hurt - the Protectives never got stoppped before
the Deer Mob had skillfully jumped OVER the Mutts and fled across the road
and into the woods. Based upon the 'search pattern' the 3 Mutts were using ...
they had NO Clure where the Deer had vanished to.

:rolleyes:

Queen of Poop
06-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Pictured is the moose that Chance also chased from the yard, he's gotten pretty territorial it would seem.

We are on an elk path, they are constantly coming thru the yard. Now that it's greened up they are staying to have a snack. The other morning there were 15 of them to the west of the house and another 13 to the north, just having breakfast.

Yesterday Chance faced off with 9 elk. I'm thinking the leader was the same one he faced off with in the photos posted here. It was actually chasing him.

I was thinking the elk was a female that went head to head with him. But don't know enough about them to be sure.

These lovelies are in the yard pretty much every day, several times a day. Along with deer and most recently a moose. We also see coyotes but so far we've been lucky enough to have Chance in the house when we've seen them.

Varga
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow. You have lots of interesting wildlife in your yard... I'm jealous! :p

KYS
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Cool pics. It's not everyday you can see Elk in your back yard.
(I have to go camping for that) :)

Queen of Poop
06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Its quite cool to sit on the couch and gaze out the window at the elk. There was 20 or so here this afternoon. Just had 3 out the window half an hour ago.

Daisy and Delilah
06-08-2009, 08:35 AM
That is the way I want to live!! No neighbors, just beautiful animals. Those are great pictures. Chance is in charge of the guard duties for sure!!:)

Casper
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow, that dog has guts! If any of my dogs saw an elk they would be running the opposite way. Then again, most of my dogs are scared of kittens and the like. ;)

Thanks for sharing. Feel free to share more pictures of your wild visitors if you get the chance. I would love to see them! The most I ever get to see regularly where I live is an occasional deer or two in the front yard.

beeniesmom
06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, I agree with Terry! I'd rather have elks around my yard then some of my neighbors! hehehe

boomersooner
06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow! Chance is brave!! Boomer thinks he is doing something when he chases a squirrel out of the yard!!!

ParNone
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh that is too cool...

A friend of mine lives up in the hill country of TX and has herds of deer come up into her yard... We were in the house and Oz was out on the porch... A herd came up towards the porch, but Oz barely gave them a second glance. I'm not sure if he was scared of them or was too busy keeping track of me in the house. :) The friend was amazed though, because her daughter's dog will chase them if allowed off leash.

blue
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Ive heard of to many people and pets being trampled by them to let the Hellions try and chase a moose off.

I had a bull run over me, no contact, while crosscountry skiing as a kid.

ramanth
06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
That's really cool! :love:

My parents get the occasional White Tail Deer in their back yard, but they run the second the see or smell the dogs.

lvpets2002
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
:) I would say this Elk is a Doe = female && you know female always stand their ground to a male..:D