PDA

View Full Version : wifi help please....

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I need some help! I have two computers in the house and an ipod touch.

I bought a wireless router and installed it on one computer. It seems to be working and it detected the ipod.

I go on the ipod and it also detects the wifi network but it won't connect to the internet?

Also the other computer I guess needs an external wifi card? That is what sony said, they are both sony vaio's.

I am just wondering why the ipod isn't connecting since it shows it finds the network?

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I had a setting wrong, my ipod is now connected, I think I need a wireless thumb drive for the other pc now...reggie...hello???

Moesha
06-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Is the other computer a desktop or laptop? When we first got a wireless router, I got an external thingie, that's the non-technical term, for it. It worked well. My brother-law-installed an internal one in the other desktop. Since then the other desktop has been replaced, again without a network card. So I took the USB adapter from my desktop and installed in on that one. I have a laptop that I use now instead of my desktop. It worked well for what I needed it to do. Some people don't like the USB connected ones, but I had no problems. If your computer is a laptop, a thumb drive type adapter would be more portable.

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 04:57 PM
The other computer is a desktop.

Hellow
06-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Desktops are generally ran off of wired networks, although a USB WiFi adapter will work well for what you need. This is a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156152

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Reggie, yeah we are on cable so they cable company said to get a wireless router to have the internet in the other room.

Thats a really good price, I hope they have it at best buy everything I have seen was 50 to 70 dollars.

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Bought a USB wifi adapter and the other pc is up and on the internet, I am on it now. It was extremely simple.

I remote connect to work, now I have to get the cd for that and install it on this pc. Since I am working from home now with my foot I want my own space, the other pc is in my daughters room.