PDA

View Full Version : Bragging about my grandson

Grace
06-06-2009, 03:08 PM
My youngest grandson will be a senior in high school in the fall. He's been checking out prospective colleges and universities. His 2 criteria - a good engineering department and a Lacrosse team.

Thursday he received an unsolicited packet from HARVARD!! That's the Harvard in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Apparently they scout out kids whom they feel would do well there.

Who knows what will happen along this journey of his, but this has put a huge smile on all our faces.

Edwina's Secretary
06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
How exciting to have caught the attention of Harvard!

A "name" school can open doors...

But isn't Harvard strictly liberal arts? Do they have engineering?

gini
06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
How right you are to be so proud of him! I wish him great success!

Laura's Babies
06-06-2009, 03:38 PM
WOW! Forget bumper stickers, I think you should put that on Billboards!

Grace
06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
How exciting to have caught the attention of Harvard!

A "name" school can open doors...

But isn't Harvard strictly liberal arts? Do they have engineering?

Yes, they have a school of engineering, covering just about all the fields.

It's in the genes. My grandfather was an engineer, as was my father who graduated from Cornell. My son majored in Math at the Naval Academy, and both his sons are math/science oriented. The older grandson wants to go into the field of forensics.

Grace
06-06-2009, 03:42 PM
How right you are to be so proud of him! I wish him great success!

Thanks - we don't know where he will end up, of course, but this is shaping up to be an exciting year.

Grace
06-06-2009, 03:44 PM
WOW! Forget bumper stickers, I think you should put that on Billboards!

Thanks, Laura. I was so excited when I got the email that I wanted to shout it from the roof.

Medusa
06-06-2009, 03:52 PM
That's wonderful, Grace! Of course you should brag. He's done you proud! I wish him much success and prosperity. :)

Karen
06-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Harvard has many strong departments, including Engineering, and of course, he'll be not far from us! ;) I have friends who work there, not in Admissions, though.

Grace
06-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Harvard has many strong departments, including Engineering, and of course, he'll be not far from us! ;) I have friends who work there, not in Admissions, though.

Well, it's not a given that he will end up there :)

He's also checking out Penn, RPI, maybe Brown. And some of the smaller schools like Franklin & Marshall. His other grandmother was Dean of Students at F & M, so he could get in there tomorrow.

That's wonderful, Grace! Of course you should brag. He's done you proud! I wish him much success and prosperity. :)

Thanks, Mary.

pomtzu
06-06-2009, 04:29 PM
That's great, and of course you have bragging rights. I'm wishing him all the best.

My granddaughter will also be a senior in the fall, and right now she hasn't as yet decided on a definite field to pursue. She was leaning toward architectural design, but now she's also considering psychology. Pretty diverse! :eek:

lizbud
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
That's very flattering to hear from Harvard. :) I'd be proud too.:)

(Of course, Purdue has a very good Engineering Dept as well):D

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
My daughter is also a junior with engineering as her goal. She has received quite a few packets but none form Harvard:eek:

Her criteria is good engineering and diving.

The sad thing to me is most of her packets are because of diving and she has a 4.3 gpa and did really well on her SAT's but the schools are all about the sports.

Congratulations to your grandson for doing so well!

phesina
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Congratulations to your grandson, Grace! That's fantastic!

Grace
06-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Two weeks ago Harvard - today Cornell.

My father graduated from Cornell. We told him we would pay the application fees for both of these, when, or if, he applies :love: