PDA

View Full Version : A moment? 65 years ago.

RICHARD
06-06-2009, 07:33 AM
D-Day took place 65 years ago.

That means that a 20 year old soldier then, is a 85 year old veteran today.

We have had our minds occupied by the 'war footing' we are on today. It's not even close to what was happening in Europe and the Pacific Island then.

I am probably wrong by saying this, but today we get a blurb on the news and the 'talk/news' shows that give a 20 second moment to a soldier that was recently killed in the Iraqi/Afghan theater. A nice way to remember them.

Go back to the numbers that the government has regarding the number of men that were killed in Normandy and there is no way to acknowledge each and everyone of them and what they did to end the war.

It the last time the planet was acting stupid and we had to kill each other, in the thousands, to prove that without wars, there is no peace.

---------------------------

My mom was the best at letting me into what went on during those years here in the states and how people lived, while others died far away from home.

I had uncles and cousins who I never got to meet, because of that war.

It's only fair that we remember them, not because the were related to us-but becuase of what they did and what they gave, so we could sit here all these years later and give them a moment of our time.

Thanks to all the people who fought those many years ago and to the people who supported them at home.

Amen.

joycenalex
06-06-2009, 08:04 AM
amen, amen, amen....may they rest in peace

Laura's Babies
06-06-2009, 08:20 AM
AMEN Richard! Thanks for reminding us to remember those who died for our country.

Medusa
06-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been cleaning house all day and listening to the news while I work. Some of the stories of D Day are chilling and it makes me very thankful to have the freedom that I and all American enjoy.

Grace
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Colleville-sur-mer

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/09/sept_11/image/1_colleville-sur-mer.jpg

Freedom
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
General Eisenhower Warned Us

It is a matter of history that when Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, General Dwight Eisenhower, found the victims of the death camps he ordered all possible photographs to be taken, and for the German people from surrounding villages to be ushered through the camps and even made to bury the dead.

He did this because he said in words to this effect:

'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

It is now more than 60 years after the Second World War in Europe ended.. In memory of the 6 million Jews, 20 million Russians, 10 million Christians, and 1,900 Catholic priests who were 'murdered, raped, burned, starved, beat, experimented on and humiliated.'

It all started to come to an end, finally, on D Day.