PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Callie

catnapper
06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I know I'm rarely over here on the dog side -- 7 cats seem to take more time than one pup. :o

I'm REALLY concerned about Callie. She's had bad diarrhea all day and recently started to vomit a LOT. She's languid (but so would I be if I vomited like she's been) She's at the point where the puke is mucus and bile, no more food particles. She ate nothing out of the ordinary today... but last night she got her paws on the new bag of dental treats. She had 3 that I know of, possibly more. I did see chunks of dental treat in the yuck.

The dental treats are ones I've given her for a while. They're a good brand that promises 100% digestability. Could they be what's causing her tummy upset? Would they cause diarrhea too?

Picture of her with the newest baby in the house
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Callieandherpup.jpg

Seravieve
06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd say they could be to blame if she's had a lot more than usual for one day. We don't feed dental type treats because they give our crew bad bad bad stinkies...

When our dogs get loose stools or vomit a lot, we just fast them... and then ease into it with some plain rice. And if they keep that down ok, then next meal would be 1/2 rice, 1/2 kibble.

Karen
06-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Could be an allergic reaction to something in the dental treats - my body will do that to me, sometimes, especially if I have a lot of something that I hadn't connected to as a minor allergy before.

Just keep an eye on her, make sure she gets fluid. Are her gums still nice and pink?

catnapper
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
She's vomited several times since I posted. We've gone through every single blanket and towel in the house. I'm REALLY Worried about her. I have the feeling that she ate something -- cat toy, Cameron toy, etc.

Hubby thinks she's fine, I am worried. She looks so sad. you can tell she feels awful.

I'm going to go check her gums right now. EDIT -- gums pink.

What on earth did she eat?

Karen
06-05-2009, 11:25 PM
She's vomited several times since I posted. We've gone through every single blanket and towel in the house. I'm REALLY Worried about her. I have the feeling that she ate something -- cat toy, Cameron toy, etc.

Hubby thinks she's fine, I am worried. She looks so sad. you can tell she feels awful.

I'm going to go check her gums right now. EDIT -- gums pink.

What on earth did she eat?

Uh oh, is she drinking? Vet's office open tomorrow? Time for a visit, I am glad her gums are nice and pink. Make sure she's not getting dehydrated, with all the vomiting.

catnapper
06-06-2009, 07:26 AM
She's looking pretty pathetic this morning. I'm convinced its something stuck in her stomach. Hubby is equally convinced she's just got a cold because I was sick all day yesterday and one of the cats puked too.

I slept poorly so now I look like she does, and I have ot go to work. Hubby's home all day and will keep an eye on her. He knows there's a small window to get her to the vet before it becomes an emergency visit -- our vet is only open for a few hours on saturdays.

Grace
06-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Oh please - don't wait any longer - get her to the Vet. She has to be really dehydrated by now.

catnapper
06-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I convinced hubby that she is sick. We have an appointment for 10:00. I feel so relieved! I'm positivelt convinced its a bowel obstruction. I'd be willing to bet its a soda bottle lid, Lego piece, etc.

And the money? MY sister in law said she'd pay. She adores Callie and said not to worry if there's surgery because she'll pay for it all. That was another weight on my mind. With hubby not having a job, pet emergencies just aren't in the budget.

Shelteez2
06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Hope she is okay. Any word yet?

caseysmom
06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Okay I'm worried now....I hope we get a good update soon.

catnapper
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Sorry - I had to run to work right after the vet - I actually ended up being late to work :o

My little girl is one sick little puppy. But nothing time and a bland diet won't fix. It seems she went BONKERS thursday night with Cameron and his buddy. Those boys apparently fed her everything under the sun and then she ate the dental bones and raided the cat food.... all to create havoc on her tummy.

I got home a little bit ago and was amazed at the difference in her. She met me at the door, wagged her tail. No true enthusiasm, but a million times better than last night and this morning.

We ended up paying the $200 for the visit. I hope my sister in law will agree to pay the utility bill that the money was actually meant for.

Grace
06-07-2009, 01:41 PM
How is Callie doing today? So glad it was nothing more than over eating - rather than ingesting a foreign object.

catnapper
06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Callie's a hundred times better. I was never so glad to have a dog jumping all over me as I was when I got home from work tonight.

She still isn't 100% yet, but much better. Thanks for asking :)

In retrospect, it shold have been obvious that it was simply a matter of what she ate. When hubby, my daughter, and I got together and pieced out what she ate..... ummmm..... I'm not surprised her tummy didn't explode.

Here's a small hint at what she ate:
* boneless chicken breast stolen off the stovetop
* Cat food stolen out of their dishes
* Dental treats (not sure how many)
* Pizza crust - handed to her by Cameron
* Peanut butter cookies - given to her by the 4 year old my daughter was babysitting.
* A million dog treats, given to her by Cameron and the 4 year old.
* her own food
* Cameron's gummies (fruit snacks)
* Cameron's corn dog
* Couple of Kleennexes

Seravieve
06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear she's doing better, but...

LOL at the list of food!
No wonder she had an upset tummy!!

K9karen
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry I just saw this, but I love happy endings! I could certainly feel your worry, our pets are like our human kids when the get sick and they can't tell us. Please give Callie lots of kisses for me!

ramanth
06-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Poor Callie! Sorry to hear she had a major upset tummy. I'm glad she's feeling better though! :love: