PDA

View Full Version : Camping Thursday! - #319

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Because the unofficial start of Summer has gone by, I will honor a request to have a camp out Thursday.

I think we can put up some tents near the Mario garden and sleep out. For our friends that don't like to rough it, there are hammocks and cots on the back patio.:D

--------------------------

The DOTD is a Muddy Mango Margarita.

1 20 oz can of Mucho Mango Arizona Ice tea.
2 oz Vodka
1 oz Midori
Sparkling water-to taste.

The drink is murky and kinda sweet, so add sparkling water to counteract the sweetness. Pour over ice.

I will try this as a slushy........and let you know!

-------------------------

Someone bring some metal hangers for S'mores and I'll get the ORC to pitch tents!

P.S.

I am open to camping food menus!

smokey the elder
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll try one of those.

Hmm...camp food. If you have a Coleman stove, you have many more options. Nothing like coffee brewed over a campfire. Hot dogs (or brats, or other sausages) on a stick work well. Hmm...a bratwurst on a stick sounds really good!

Karen
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Metal hangers for s'mores? What kind of city kid are you??? I will bring plenty of sticks for s'mores, okay? I'll even sharpen the ends a bit with my jack knife. And I have some cinnamon grahams I can contribute, too.

Cinder & Smoke
06-03-2009, 01:50 PM
The drink is murky ...

"MURKY" ?? :confused:

Metal hangers for s'mores? What kind of city kid are you???

Don't they get kinda HOT to hold?

Pinot's Mom
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I'll have one of those 'murky' drinks :)...as for the menu...

We actually have a Coleman oven that goes on top of a Coleman stove - it makes good pizzas! I like mine with artichoke hearts, ham, and of course lots of cheese! ;)

ORC - what are you doing with those tent poles???:rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll try one of those.

Hmm...camp food. If you have a Coleman stove, you have many more options. Nothing like coffee brewed over a campfire. Hot dogs (or brats, or other sausages) on a stick work well. Hmm...a bratwurst on a stick sounds really good!

I have always wanted to try a Dutch Oven cake!...:D Or cornbread!

One brat on a stick, Bun and condiments on the side!

DONE!

Karen....

Oh, the thought of tearing down nature's resources for a snack!;)

Us Tree Huggers recycle the hangers. :D:rolleyes:;)

Done!

C&S,

It looks like a peach juice. Not very pretty but really tasty!:cool:

Plus I could not think of an "M" word that would work? As the heat travels up the hanger is dissapates pretty well, ya just have to remember not to grab it close to the heated areas!

DONE?

PM.

Oh, I bought some HUGE artichokes the other day...two for a dollar! They were about softball size and really good!

One drink and a Coleman Pizza!

DONE!

Wait until David shows up, knowing him he'll play sword fighting with the Orc and THEN put up the tents!:D

davidpizzica
06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm here, RICHARD. As soon as I stop playing Errol Flynn with Orc, I'll get the tents set up and the ceement mixer going with the slushies. Nothing like roasting marshmallows over an open campfire!

lvpets2002
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
:) Someone say Camping.. Oh right.. Lets me bring my hammock & some treats.. Ones of thems drinks please Richard.. Did I read Orc is putting up the tent..:p

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/digimarc.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/deliplatter.jpg

Oh Here is Orc some help from the Cattitudes

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/ShowLetter5-1.jpg

Medusa
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Can't do the camping thing. Gave it a good try several times. Hate it. But I'll have the DOTD, RICHARD. And can you believe I've never had a s'more?

Grace
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't 'do' camping either. Not since Girl Scout camp eons ago - when one night I had to dig 'the hole in the ground'.

I'll find a nice comfy, feather bed someplace close - but far away from bugs, snakes, and with indoor plumbing.

Pass me one of those murky concoctions.

Karen
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Karen....

Oh, the thought of tearing down nature's resources for a snack!;)

Us Tree Huggers recycle the hangers. :D:rolleyes:;)

Now, dear, you've perhaps never been in real woods? Deciduous trees shed sticks on a pretty regular basis - us using them for s'mores is actually just using what nature has discarded. I could mail you a bundle of self-shed maple twigs if'n'ya need proof!

I could go on and on ... and the lower thin branches on trees in a thick forest aren't getting enough sunlight to thrive for long anyway - either I break off a couple to use, deer eat them, or they just die, dry out and become lethal to walk into after dark!

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Now, dear, you've perhaps never been in real woods? Deciduous trees shed sticks on a pretty regular basis - us using them for s'mores is actually just using what nature has discarded. I could mail you a bundle of self-shed maple twigs if'n'ya need proof!

I could go on and on ... and the lower thin branches on trees in a thick forest aren't getting enough sunlight to thrive for long anyway - either I break off a couple to use, deer eat them, or they just die, dry out and become lethal to walk into after dark!

LOL,

The only 'natural' sticks I encountered regularly were the wooden pointers that the nuns used to 'reach out and touch' you and the pine switches Dad used to prove his point.:eek:

The last time I saw anything Maple was at Ikea?:D;)

We'll go natural!

DONE!

Grace and Medusa,

Both of you can sleep on the couches near the fireplace!

Two DOTDs and one S'more?

DONE!

LP,

Two trees close together and a large Drink. Thanks for the cattitude!:D

DONE!

David,

You do look swashbuckling today. You can drive the mixer and we'll leave the Orc to do the 'dirty' work!

DONE!

Lady'sOtherHuman
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Metal hangers for s'mores? What kind of city kid are you??? I will bring plenty of sticks for s'mores, okay? I'll even sharpen the ends a bit with my jack knife. And I have some cinnamon grahams I can contribute, too.

I'll bring the hersheys, I'm all for the stick for cooking over the fire. I brought some watermelon and trail mix.

KYS
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
CAMPING!!!!
Count me in!
Slushy drink and smores sounds wonderful.
Nothing beats camp food bbq and good company around
the camp fire. :D

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 11:36 PM
CAMPING!!!!
Count me in!
Slushy drink and smores sounds wonderful.
Nothing beats camp food bbq and good company around
the camp fire. :D

Hey you, long time!:D

A slushy and s'mores?

DONE!

LOH,

Mmmmmm, Trail mix!

Trade you for a slushy?

DONE!

Has anyone ever done the bread on a stick using the Pillsbury dough?:D

blue
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Has anyone ever done the bread on a stick using the Pillsbury dough?:D

No but that sounds good.

Lady'sOtherHuman
06-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Richard I will gladly share my trail mix with you. And thanks for the slushie. That hits the spot. Hey I brought my fireplace popcorn popper, but you have to have strong arms to use it (all the shaking back and forth in the fire) I guess we could get Orc to do it or we could all take turns.

Hope everyone slept well. Did you use your mosquito nets? Well I'll put the coffee on and bring out the cortizone for any bug bites and other kinds of itchy skin. Where's the cast iron frying pan? We'll get a camping breakfast going. Eggs, bacon or sausage, some hash and hashbrowns. I'll try to make toast too but it will take a few minutes.;)

aTailOf2Kitties
06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
{{{{yawn}}}}.....{{{stretch}}}...... good morning everyone:)

Pinot's Mom
06-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Good Morning everyone! Breakfast smells good - coffee? :)
Anyone seen Orc?

RICHARD
06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Good Morning everyone! Breakfast smells good - coffee? :)
Anyone seen Orc?

He's out washing his face and gathering wood!

COffee? DONE!

TO2K,

GLad I didn;t keep you up with my snoring! where is your cup?
DONE!

LOH,
Gosh, A REAL corn popper! NO 2,0,0 and press start!;)
Let me get you the pan! I'll peel, chop and ? if you like!
THe bugs love me - scritch, scritch.....

DONE!

Blue,

From what I remember, you pop the can of dough, roll it into a long 'rope', wrap it around a stick and stick the stick into the dirt next to the fire!

DONE?

catland
06-04-2009, 10:02 AM
pour me a tall one barkeep. I'm taking tomorrow off so this is my Friday at work.:D

gini
06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a good friend who says he loves camping - just find him a Hilton closest to the camp site.

I don't drink murky drinks too well - so just a cup of hot coffee would be great and maybe a sausage on a stick later.

RICHARD
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a good friend who says he loves camping - just find him a Hilton closest to the camp site.

I don't drink murky drinks too well - so just a cup of hot coffee would be great and maybe a sausage on a stick later.

Well, we can get you a regular slushie later on, coffee and a sausage later on?

DONE!

CL,

A tall one for you!

ANd a long weekend?

DONE!

Lady'sOtherHuman
06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey Richard, you know what we should? We should get some jars and poke holes in the tops so we can catch fireflies or lightning bugs. That will be fun. Of course we won't keep them long we'll let them go when we're done.

Can we sing camp songs too? Or maybe not, I don't know if I could handle Orc singing.

RICHARD
06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey Richard, you know what we should? We should get some jars and poke holes in the tops so we can catch fireflies or lightning bugs. That will be fun. Of course we won't keep them long we'll let them go when we're done.

Can we sing camp songs too? Or maybe not, I don't know if I could handle Orc singing.

DUDE!

Wait, I have a real bone to pick with you Easterners!;)

I have only seen the insects that light up while waiting in line at the Pirates of the Carribean ride.:( THEY WERE FAKE.:(

An afternoon thunder storm, lightening w/a light rain to cool things off...
We don't get some of the neat things that the east coast has..

But, I can live vicariously!

I'll get the Orc to hum!

DONE!

cassiesmom
06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.firepies.com/bigstick500.jpg

The "Big Stick" Hot Dog & Marshmallow Roasting Fork
Do the younger campers wanna get in on the campfire roasting and toasting action? Make sure you have the right equipment if you decide to let them. The 18" super long wood handle on the Big Stick Roasting Fork makes it easy for both kids and adults to hold. The smaller tines make it suitable for either marshmallows or weenies, and the long handle design keeps little hands back from the fires. Chrome plated steel with a hardwood handle. Overall length of the Big Stick Fork is 33".

I would much, much rather roast marshmallows on a fork than a stick. I know the fork is clean when i put the marshmallows on it :)

Can I please have one of those mango and seltzer drinks, but without the vodka and Midori?

Lady'sOtherHuman
06-05-2009, 07:22 AM
DUDE!

Wait, I have a real bone to pick with you Easterners!;)

I have only seen the insects that light up while waiting in line at the Pirates of the Carribean ride.:( THEY WERE FAKE.:(

An afternoon thunder storm, lightening w/a light rain to cool things off...
We don't get some of the neat things that the east coast has..

But, I can live vicariously!

I'll get the Orc to hum!

DONE!

Poor city boy. You city folks have to many lights at night that's why you can't see them. You'll just have to come on out here to the country and we'll show you some lightning bugs. August good for you? You can bring the Orc too I know we can find plenty for him to do.:D

Pinot's Mom
06-05-2009, 07:39 AM
We actually have those roasting sticks, but I didn't want Orc to get hold of them so I didn't mention it:). Lord only knows what he'd do!!

As far as the "little rain to cool things off"...we've had rain for about a month and a half. The turtles are swimming in the garden and the toads are having nightly parties they're so happy!

I'd like some sausage on a biscuit with some coffee, please! Something warm and easy (don't comment on that, Richard!).

catland
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
*yawn* - ok, rise and shine happy campers. Lets get that hot coffee on the fire and make some blueberry pancakes!

Anyone want to go down to the lake to go fishing for some trout?

RICHARD
06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
*yawn* - ok, rise and shine happy campers. Lets get that hot coffee on the fire and make some blueberry pancakes!

Anyone want to go down to the lake to go fishing for some trout?

TROUT!

I am there!

I'll pour coffee and bait the hooks!

DONE!

PM,

Sausage and biscuit with NO GRAVY?:eek:

I'll put some on the side for you! Coffee?

DONE!

LOH,

The city lights also cut down on my star gazing.:( August with the ORC in tow?

Sounds good! Oh you reminded me of the meteor shower that happens in August!

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/

Coffee?

DONE!

CM.

LOL, It's only tree sap!:eek:;)

One sparkly mango drink?

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry, no computer at home, had to get to work to catch up on PT! :)
Richard, I'm one of those odd people that doesn't like gravy...I know, I know, it's just one of those things!
Also, I thought of you last night - we were out on the deck with a glass of wine and guess what we saw for the first time this season??
LIGHTNING BUGS!!
:)
...thought you'd appreciate that...

RICHARD
06-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Sorry, no computer at home, had to get to work to catch up on PT! :)
Richard, I'm one of those odd people that doesn't like gravy...I know, I know, it's just one of those things!
Also, I thought of you last night - we were out on the deck with a glass of wine and guess what we saw for the first time this season??
LIGHTNING BUGS!!
:)
...thought you'd appreciate that...

Happy birthday....I have to figure out a way to bake a cake over a campfire!

Don't like gravy? I have never heard that before! That's o.k.!

LBs! I am jealous!:D

DONE!