PDA

View Full Version : pitbulls

primabella
09-27-2002, 05:35 PM
hey everyone! i was just curious with your opinion on this.
all last week, in french class, we've been looking at stories of dogs. one of the stories was describing the pit bull and how strong it is and the cases about it.
i personally think they can be as kind, gentle and sweet as any other dog, but i'd like to know your opinion on this. plus, i needed an excuse to make a poll. ;)
this post is not meant to anger to anyone who owns or loves pit bulls. :p

Aspen and Misty
09-27-2002, 05:49 PM
I love pitbulls! I think they are the cutest dogs! I don't like the image that society puts out about them! I think that we need to look at the bigger picture, people. And the people who are destorying a great breed. They do not need to turn any dog mean and I feel that people need to stop being breedist!!!! (like sexest but hate a certain breed) If a golden retreiver bit someone tey porbly wouldn't report it. But thesecond a pit bull bite them they owuld report it. My science teacher is one of theose people who beleave god put animals on earth so that we as humans could benefetfrom them and so that ives us the right to treatthem theway we want to. She told me the other day that shegother dog just for protection she doesn't really like him and had him sent away for a month to havehim trained. She said she usually keeps him tied in the back yard exept at night when she brings him in and sets him loose in the house. I asked her is he destoryed thins andshe said no she just finds him a bother, I mean what are dogs good for? :rolleyes: Well I've said more then my two sense.

Ashley

primabella
09-27-2002, 06:00 PM
i agree with what you said about the golden retriever and how nobody would report it. that's awful, how your teacher treats her dog! :mad:
ps- you wrote sexIest instead of sexest..;) lol :D

Aspen and Misty
09-27-2002, 06:04 PM
O I hate my teacher. She kills bugs all the time! Sorry I like buggies! Althought I run all the other way when they come near me.

PS: Thanx about the sexIest thing :D I can't speel. :D :rolleyes: :p

Kfamr
09-27-2002, 06:05 PM
Pit Bulls. My abosolute favorite breed. They have the beautiful block head, and muscular body. Very strong dog. their strength makes people assume they are killers, the owners make them into killers. THe owners are the only ones to blame. Assinine people train them to be aggressive, weather it be for protection [normally drug dealers] or to fight them for money. It's cruel and it's stupid.

A dog can only be as sweet as you train it to be. Any chihuha [sp?] could be just aggressive as a Pit Bull... But because of the Pit Bull's strength they can do more damage.

The whole reputation Pit Bulls have pisses me off so much. The media always picks for the bad thingys in people or animals. Just like if a rapper did something wrong, tehy would blow up aobut it. Befor i go into depth aobut my feelings, and start using innapropriate words, I'll stop here.

Cincy'sMom
09-27-2002, 06:46 PM
I agree with both #1 and #3. Pit Bulls can be great dogs, but if you get down to only responsible owners should own any dog! ( wouldn't that be an ideal world!)

Andie
09-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Bull is 50 someodd lb. (and still growing) of mostly muscle and teeth and he gets beat up on a daily basis by a 10 lb. cat with no front claws and 3 teeth.

YOU tell me how mean he is. LOL

I agree pitbulls rap is unfairly bad!

Uabassoon
09-27-2002, 08:08 PM
I agree with 1 and 3 too. Pitbulls can be the sweetest dogs if the owner spends time with them. I'm not saying that they need more time then any other breed. But if the get loved and played with and socialized they will be just as sweet as any other dog. But if an owner abuses or ignores a pitbull they can get just as aggressive as any other dog in that situation. But pitbulls are such strong dogs that is why people are scared of them. Little dogs can be mean too if you abuse them and can bite and hurt you, but they can't overpower you the way a pitbull could. So that's why I agree with 1 and 3.

Kfamr
09-27-2002, 08:33 PM
http://dogoftheday.com/archive/1999/September/29.jpg
http://dogoftheday.com/archive/1999/November/14.jpg
REAL mean huh?

Karen
09-27-2002, 08:45 PM
I met a very sweet pitbull in the Petco parking lot the other night. Midori was in a car about three away from mine, and stuck her head out the window and was barking at me as I approached my car. Well, of course, I said, "Hey, pooch, this is a public parking lot, I can walk in it, silly!" I put my stuff in the car and went over to skritch her, as I could see her furiously wagging tail while she was barking. Her owner was in the car, and when I started petting her, he brought her out of the car so I could meet her! She had a black collar with silver "studs" on it, and her owner was a young man who some people might not have given a second glance to, thinking he was a "tough guy" but they were both quite nice!

Midori was 11 months old, very waggy, very much a busybody, and obviously loved. We had a discussion about the perception some people have of pitbulls, while she was wiggling, wagging, sniffing around, just trying to patrol the entire parking lot while wiggling and wagging. I though of you, KayAnn, you might have dog-napped this girl if her owner wasn't so obviously proud of her and loved her so! She was tan and had a darker stripe from her nose all the way to her tail, had that wide bully-grin, and a whip of a tail!

I didn't vote, but I think that EVERY dog needs to be raised carefully according to his or her temperment and breed. There ARE bad dogs, but that is rare. Just like there rae mentally ill people, I think there are mentally ill dogs. I feel sorry for them. But more often "bad dogs" are dogs raised to BE bad. Pitbull or poodle, it doesn't matter.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-27-2002, 09:06 PM
I LOVE American Pit Bull Terriers! They can be so sweet, and gentle, if trained right! I personally love Pit Bulls!:) ;)

Dixie Belle
09-27-2002, 09:07 PM
I agree with 1 and 2. My cousin has a pit bull and he just licks you to death. But they can be turned mean. Any dog can. I have an ankle bitter in Prince, yet my boxer would hand the key to a stranger. It just depends on the way the dog was raised. Who would guess that a dalmation would try to take someone's hand off? Blue did.

Aspen and Misty
09-27-2002, 09:27 PM
I strongly disagree with number 2. If you think that they should not be kept as pets then why should a golden retriever be abloud as pet? I tink people need to lighten up on the poor dogs. Its like me saying I think 5 year olds are dangerouse and feel you should not be aloud to "own" them because they could grow up and be abusive. The probliblty is slight, but think about it, it could happen. Sometimes I don't understand people, they dislike something because of a reputation it has. I mean look at Simba "the killer" pitbull mix. :rolleyes: He just might kill you by sufacting you with his tounge Hee hee. What a sweetie! There were 3 pittbulls at our pound about a week ago. I had to ask to get them out they were just so pretty. All three were sweet, one was a 2 month old puppy, o was he adorable! I am a big lover of the pit bull. There so pretty and sweet. THey just need to be raised right.

Ash

Kfamr
09-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I strongly disagree with number 2. If you think that they should not be kept as pets then why should a golden retriever be abloud as pet? I tink people need to lighten up on the poor dogs. Its like me saying I think 5 year olds are dangerouse and feel you should not be aloud to "own" them because they could grow up and be abusive. The probliblty is slight, but think about it, it could happen. Sometimes I don't understand people, they dislike something because of a reputation it has. I mean look at Simba "the killer" pitbull mix. :rolleyes: He just might kill you by sufacting you with his tounge Hee hee. What a sweetie! There were 3 pittbulls at our pound about a week ago. I had to ask to get them out they were just so pretty. All three were sweet, one was a 2 month old puppy, o was he adorable! I am a big lover of the pit bull. There so pretty and sweet. THey just need to be raised right.

Ash

Hehehe.... I love you. And so does Simba!!!:D

Aspen and Misty
09-27-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Hehehe.... I love you. And so does Simba!!!:D

Well what can I say? I'm in love with your pretty little Simba! ! O what a sweetie! Love you and Simab to!! I need some new pictures of him sometime btw.

:p You've just been licked. Give that to all the pitt bulls out there. Expesially Simba, Pork Chop and Smokey! What sweeties they all are!

Ashley

Twisterdog
09-27-2002, 10:38 PM
I agree with number one and number three. ALL dogs can be sweet, if treated well. And ONLY responsible people should own a dog, any dog, regardless of the breed.

primabella
09-28-2002, 08:58 AM
thanks for all voting. i guess it was pretty dumb of me to put 1 and 3 seperate because they kind of go hand in hand. oh well, sorry about that. :o
i have never actually seen a pit bull LIVE, so i can't say anything about them. the only time i do see them is when the news is doing a special report on another attack. :rolleyes:

pupper-lover
09-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Addie is part pit-bull. It isn't real obvious in photos, but in person she looks exactly what you'd expect a lab-pit mix to look like. We get a lot of negative responses from people that are "breed-ist". Addie is the sweetest dog, I have ever had. As I was posting these pics, she had her head on my leg and was looking up at me with her beautiful light brown eyes. Wherever I go, she is always there at my side. I have never had such a close bond with any other dog in my life, and I think it is sad that people hate and fear her because of what she looks like. Like most pit bulls (and many breeds of dogs), Addie is stubborn, dominant, extremely strong, intelligent, loyal, and very very very energentic. I could see how this could be a problem with an irresponsible owner, but I have made every effort possible to socialize her with adults, children, dogs, and even cats. :D She is a pure sweetie. She had an abusive past, that I can tell will haunt her forever, but an agressive killer, she will never be.

It is very nice to know, there are so many people at pet talk that can love and respect a breed that has all but been thrown to the thugs of the society.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p9fe6d4407fb7f244e2323ced3439af52/fda086cc.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/pd60f64a8f1cfc6267ce05af17b4b7531/fda086cf.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p9f8694c9a56579364e003e4c42745971/fda086d2.jpg

Kfamr
09-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Actually, you can tell Addie is part Pit. She has that cute block head pits do. What a beauty!

When i take Simba and My brother's dog Honey for walks [their both pit mixes] People will pet and pet them then ask what breed they are i say "GSD/ pit mix and lab/pit mix" then they say "oh" and back away. It pisses me off to much. :mad: And then theirs some people who judge Pit Bulls without ever meeting one in real life. But then again... There are alot of morons in this world.

manda99
09-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Pit Bulls are WONDERFUL dogs!!
Of course, owning one comes with challenges and you must be aware of the type of dog you have, simply because of all the negative press they recieve.

Back in the day, when APBTs were largely used for fighting, any Pit Bull that showed agression to humans would be put down immediately. The owner HAD to be able to get in the middle of a fight or be able to mend an injured dog after a fight without the dog biting the human.

Yes, they do have a tendency to be dog agressive but if they are properly socialized there should be no problems. For example, I started taking Smokey to puppy classes when he was 10 weeks old. He meets other dogs at the park and on walks... I have never, not once, seen him show any agression towards any of these dogs - even after some of them have jumped on him or tried to start something. After we get out of the situation Smokey would lay down and whine and just want to play. (What a mean, vicious dog, huh??? :rolleyes: )
Pork Chop, on the other hand, was not socialized as a pup except for the other APBT we had at the time. And as a result of that I'm weary of taking him out because I don't know how he'll react. I'm almost sure if a dog jumped on him he'd tear it up on a defensive reaction.

BUT - Pork Chop loves people like nobody's business. Smokey, too.
People are always surprised that Smokey is a pit bull, or that he is just SO friendly.

Anyway, what's the point here?
Oh yeah, I love American Pit Bull Terriers! I hope everyone read the poem I posted about them a while ago.
These wiggle butts are the best! I've never owned another type of dog.

primabella
09-28-2002, 11:45 AM
thanks for all the reponses! :D

i just had to mention something that i learned in class: pit bulls are able to have stitches or sugery (sp?) without having to be on anethesia (sp?) because they are so strong in that way. ;):p

manda99
09-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by primabella
thanks for all the reponses! :D

i just had to mention something that i learned in class: pit bulls are able to have stitches or sugery (sp?) without having to be on anethesia (sp?) because they are so strong in that way. ;):p

I don't know about that... They do have a really high pain tolerance but ...

I know our dogs were both put under to be neutered.
Maybe just regular sutures for a cut or something don't require anything but ...

Kfamr
09-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Even if they could tolerate the pain, i wouldn't do it that way.

Lynn101
09-28-2002, 04:23 PM
I love pitbulls! They are adorable. They cost alot of money too. I think you have to be responsible to own a pitbull, but I would never be afraid of owning one because they can be just as loving as any other pet. Every dog gets a little bit mean at times. But hey, what can you say? :)

Lynn101

turner
09-28-2002, 05:28 PM
I personally think pitbulls can be just as sweet as any other dog. My husbands friend had 2 pitbulls, and they were the most gentle dogs and he has 3 kids that the dogs just adorded(spelling). I don't like the rep pitbulls and Rottweilers get from the press.

Cincy'sMom
09-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by manda99

Yes, they do have a tendency to be dog agressive but if they are properly socialized there should be no problems.

I think you are right, but I think that may be a something of a (perceived?)terrier trait. There are a lot of dogs that don't like other dogs in their face or are "dog aggressive" I think maybe it is a little more common is terriers then say retreivers, but I know a Golden who is very dog aggressive, a border terrier, a standard poodle, a chiuhuahua...you get the idea. And I know terriers (like Taggert) who LOVE other dogs and LOVe to play...I think socilaization is important to any dog, but even then some dogs just don't want others in their face. Like humans, all dogs have different personalities.

wolf_Q
09-29-2002, 04:04 AM
I also agree with #1 and #3. Here's my own 2 cents. Yes, I think they can be just as sweet as any other dog. But dog breeds like them that were bred for many years to be fighting dogs, naturally have more of that instinct...to be dog aggressive. That doesn't mean that they will be, of course. But I think they should only be owned by responsible pet owners. Of course that really applies to any dog!! A dog like pit bulls and many other breeds like german shepards, akitas, rottweilers, etc. can be pretty strong willed and will most likely require a firm owner with plenty of training and socialization. That said, ANY breed of dog can be a wonderful, sweet, loving dog! It's not the breed that determines the dogs complete disposition, it's the owner.

And it really pisses me off how societry portrays some of the dog breeds. It's not fair at all! People think huskies are mean too! We went to petsmart and I had like 5 people ask me if Nebo was mean or if he would bite!! They didn't ask that once about Lady! And Nebo was being much more well-behaved then she was, lol.

I've met several dogs of the "mean" breeds, and oh boy they sure were "mean." :rolleyes: I met a pit bull puppy a long time ago, and it was the sweetest little pup you'd ever see! And all of the rottweilers have just been big overgrown babies, lol. My uncle has one, and oh no, she might lick me to death!! Ahh! There was (what looked like) a black pit/lab mix puppy running loose in the park today, and she sure was cute! She really wanted to play with Nebo, but she was too big of a wuss to get close enough, lol.

Aspen and Misty
09-29-2002, 12:53 PM
geisthexe posted this and I thought you all should help!!! Here post-

This news station has a poll up asking whether pit bulls should be banned... right now the results are 58% yes, and 42% no.
The poll is in the middle of the right hand side on this page....

http://www.theiowachannel.com/

So come on and vote. I personally hope no wins. That is just awful if yes wins :(

Ashley

turner
09-29-2002, 10:10 PM
I voted for "No" to ban pitbulls. Ok so if we are going to ban "mean" breeds like pitbulls.....lets ban stupid pet owners! I think that one is better.

geisthexe
09-29-2002, 10:34 PM
I believe we need to work on this breed about getting them back an able to have a pit in our back yards. I use to recsue them so I had nine at one time and they were good dogs, even the ones I had that were pit fought. Needed to be worked and trained but all in all great dogs. But I still love my American bulldogs, But that does say I would never own another pit cuz I would if one needed a home. Thanks to all your help about the poll I posted we again need to save this breed. Hexe

http://home.attbi.com/~geisthexe/images/Stud/JawzTy3.JPG
My son Tyler and My Male AmBull Jawz

Dakota's Mommy
10-02-2002, 10:08 AM
I personally think it's all in the way that they're raised, just like any other dog! These breed of dog really has a bad name but a few of my husbands friends have sweet and loving ones. I personally don't want a pit, but I think if they are raised properly, they can be just as good of a dog as any!