PDA

View Full Version : Disaster in the kitchen

kokopup
06-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Earlier today while reading A PT post my wife came in the Great Room saying the dish washer was leaking. She had stopped the washer to get up all the water that had run on the hardwood we have in our kitchen.

I closed the door and turned on the washer and sure enough water came running out on the towel we had put down to soak up all the water that had already come out. I noticed that the water coming out and the water in the washer was soapy. After several opening/closing run cycles I noted the stuff running out was almost pure soap suds. It dawned on me that dishwasher soap does not foam.

I looked under the sink where the dishwasher soap is kept and found a different container and the actual dishwasher soap was there but had a plastic pitcher upsidedown on top. I ask my wife what she had put in the washer and her defensive responds,"what I always use dishwasher soap". I picked up the other container and ask her if she was sure she hadn't used this. Before she saw the label she said yes that's what I used.

I can tell you that you do not want to use Soft Scrub in your dishwasher. I had to dip out all the suds with a cup and then force it to run in rinse cycles 4 times to get all the soap.

My wife was disappointed because she could see a new washer on the horizon. She said she wanted a new quite efficient model. I told her we could just go to the ultra quite efficient washer like we had when I was a kid. That is hand wash and hand dry model. That's what my sister and I had to do every night. She washed and dried :D

When i told her that maybe it would be a good idea not to use Soft Scrub in the future,
her response was well maybe you need to take over dishwasher responsiblity. Then she
proceeded to tell me how clean the dishwasher was now. It is a no-win no-win when
dealing with wifes.

pomtzu
06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
:eek::eek: I feel your pain. My ex decided to use dish detergent once when we were out of dishwasher detergent.

I have a dishwasher and couldn't tell you the last time I used it. I actually prefer the old fashioned quiet models too. :D

Taz_Zoee
06-02-2009, 02:31 PM
My boyfriend did the dish soap in the dishwasher once. We couldn't figure out why it was all sudsy then he realized he had used Dawn instead of Cascade.
Yeah, not a fun clean up, that's for sure.

Do you think maybe she did this in order to get a new dishwasher? ;) (kidding)

Catherinedana
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I have the most fabulous model of dishwasher you could ever want. Unfortunately, there is only one of it's kind. . .it's my husband, Barry! I cook and he does the dishes - and that includes the bird dishes most of the time too! AND he's gorgeous! :D

Cathy

davidpizzica
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I, too have one of those quiet and efficient dishwashers. It's 60 years old and it's still around. The make is David P and it's a human model!

Medusa
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh boy. I had a pipe leak under my sink and got water on my new hardwood floor in the kitchen and I was not happy but, fortunately, the wood didn't warp. Maybe your wife wasn't wearing her specs when she grabbed the wrong bottle? At least that's my excuse. ;)

pomtzu
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
The old models were much more fun too. My brother and I used to switch off each week with the washing and drying. I hated it when he dried. He would wait till the towel got pretty wet, and then twirl it around and snap me with it. That hurt!! :eek: It was all in fun tho, and he would chase me around the kitchen with it, so it always took longer to get the intended chore accomplished. Funny how a post about a dishwasher can bring back memories long forgotten. I miss that guy - wish he was still around to irritate me. :love::D

lvpets2002
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
:) I hear ya David.. My dishwasher is model name is Helene.. :D
I, too have one of those quiet and efficient dishwashers. It's 60 years old and it's still around. The make is David P and it's a human model!

happylabs
06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Oh dear what a mess that must have been. I :love: my dishwasher and hope I never have to be without! I remember standing on a chair when I was a little girl and washing dishes. My absolutely most unfavorite task.

caseysmom
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I did that once when I lived in an apartment, I was out of the soap for the machine so I used regular. I got a really clean linoleum floor out of the whole fiasco...I felt like I love lucy!

Laura's Babies
06-02-2009, 09:19 PM

I hear ya David, I have one only it is a Laura S make, human model and a few years older than yours... works well still!! (just a little slow sometimes getting started)

kokopup- Did you tell her that a new one would do the same thing if she put sudsy soap in it too so there was no use in getting a new one?

Now and then we get a new deckhand on the boat that will do that and he'll spend the night cleaning up the mess it makes...:D

kitten645
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh my! This apartment was the first one with a dishwasher I've had. So I went to the grocery store and found DISHWASHING DETERGENT. Wasn't it a Brady Bunch episode when the kids flood the laundry room in suds? That was me! Scooping them up and trying to wash them down the drain in the bathtub! :eek: I feel your pain! At least my floor is linoleum!
Claudia

kokopup
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
post by Taz_Zoee

Do you think maybe she did this in order to get a new dishwasher? (kidding)
We upgraded the Kitchen a year or two ago and she got new everything but a dishwasher. I wouldn't put it past her.:D

Post by Laura's Babies

kokopup- Did you tell her that a new one would do the same thing if she put sudsy soap in it too so there was no use in getting a new one?

I think she knows the consequence of using the wrong soap. She is 11 years my jr. but I think she is getting more senile than I am.

I don't know why we need a new washer, because she cooks twice a year for her family, Christmas & Thanksgiving. I usually wash all my dishes with my other washer the Bill, human model. The rest of the time the washer will accumulate cups and glasses for a week before it is run. Maybe I should go ahead and assume that weekly duty, if for no reason but to avoid the tedious cleanup of the floor and washer.:D

lvpets2002
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
:) You are so bad.. Your wife is going to read this & then we will all be in trouble.. You for sure will be in the Dog House..:D

I think she knows the consequence of using the wrong soap. She is 11 years my jr. but I think she is getting more senile than I am.

I don't know why we need a new washer, because she cooks twice a year for her family, Christmas & Thanksgiving. I usually wash all my dishes with my other washer the Bill, human model. The rest of the time the washer will accumulate cups and glasses for a week before it is run. Maybe I should go ahead and assume that weekly duty, if for no reason but to avoid the tedious cleanup of the floor and washer.:D

kokopup
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Koko and I have been in the dog house for years now. :) I'm fortunate that my dog house is down stairs in my Home Theater. If She Had her way we would not set foot or paw anywhere in her domain. We pretty much live down there. I will soon have a bedroom finished down stairs so neither Koko nor I will shed a single hair for her to clean up. Rascal Koko's cat has pretty much moved down stairs with us too.:D

lvpets2002
06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
:) Well there ya go.. Sounds if the important humannss live down stairs..:D
Koko and I have been in the dog house for years now. :) I'm fortunate that my dog house is down stairs in my Home Theater. If She Had her way we would not set foot or paw anywhere in her domain. We pretty much live down there. I will soon have a bedroom finished down stairs so neither Koko nor I will shed a single hair for her to clean up. Rascal Koko's cat has pretty much moved down stairs with us too.:D

joycenalex
06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
EVER!:D angel alex the wonder dog could lick a pan, plate, pot so clean you could almost put away....kinda like the soap&water joke of yesteryear...princess peanut, not so good:eek:

kokopup
06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
post by joycenalex

EVER! angel alex the wonder dog could lick a pan, plate, pot so clean you could almost put away....

We also have that prewash cycle for all our plates & bowls. Rascal
will prewash what Kallie finishes and then Koko will make sure it is
absolutely clean before we do the finish cycle.:D

pomtzu
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
post by joycenalex

We also have that prewash cycle for all our plates & bowls. Rascal
will prewash what Kallie finishes and then Koko will make sure it is
absolutely clean before we do the finish cycle.:D

Ewwwwww!!! You let your pets lick your dishes???? That's gross!!!! :eek:

Down boy!!! - I'm only joking. I personally don't know any pet owners that don't do this. And then there's my stuffy BIL & SIL that wouldn't even let an animal in the house, let alone lick a dish. Oh well - their loss! :(

MoonandBean
06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Sunny is the best plate cleaner in the world....and the intensity on her face...priceless!

Loved your story...you told it quite well and I started laughing when I got to the point about the wrong soap...that's SO something I would do :)