PDA

View Full Version : Please help my Bulldog

ShirleyB
06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a 5 y/o English Bulldog. He had eyelid surgery a year ago, my husband was the one to take him back & forth to the Vet.
Ever since then he growls at my husband when he goes to pet him. His whole body stiffens as he does this. Then he will turn around and grab his rope and want my husband to play with him. Sometime when my husband comes home he will run up to him shaking his butt all happy to see him. My husband can pet him for a moment and then it's like he remembers he's supposed to growl and he does. I have tried scolding him, telling him no and squirting him with a water bottle. Nothing works. A dog trainer suggested giving him treats and then petting him but he still growls. I am so afraid one day he may bit him. My husband threatens to get rid of him if he does bite him.
I would just die, my baby is the light of my life and I could not get rid of him.

Can anybody help or have any suggestions?

Karen
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Perhaps your husband should, for a time, take over things like feeding the dog, and walking him, so he begins to associate your husband with all things good? Whenever he gets a treat, make sure it is your husband who gives it to him. Keep it up with the spray bottle, just be sure to be completely consistent with it - any growling is met with a spritz in the schnoz.

Bulldogs are known for being stubborn - you just need to be MORE stubborn. You may even try the N.I.L.I.F. method - Nothing In Life Is Free. The dog has to wait for you to eat before he eats, etc. Every treat must be earned, and so on.

joycenalex
06-08-2009, 04:56 AM
welcome to PT....have you both tried karens' suggestions yet?