PDA

View Full Version : dog urine?

scrain2329
05-31-2009, 11:37 AM
What can I do to reduce the strength of trey's urine? every time he goes, it pretty much turns yellow on the spot, and he drinks A LOT OF WATER a day which we think would dilute it... but it still is killing the grass... does anybody know of anything that we can give him to help with not torturing the grass?

P.s. going out to see kayshas half brothers and sisters. should be back with more pictures. they are leaving for a road trip to the pinto world show (Horse show) where most of them are meeting their new moms and dads : ( I am going to miss them!

Freedom
05-31-2009, 02:59 PM
This sounds nutty, but it works. Have a water can full of water ready. Each time he pees, immediately soak that spot with no less than 1 pint (2 cups) of water. This dilutes the minerals which are too strong for the grass, and you avoid the yellow spots.

I know someone who just keeps a small pot with water (picked it up at a yard sale) it holds the right amount of water, and she fills it each time, leaves it by the back door ready for the next trip. With 4, I need MORE than one pot of water, lol. Anyway, each time out, she picks it up as she goes by, uses it, refills it from the hose, sets it back in place for the next trip. (Yes, she is VERY organized. :rolleyes:)

scrain2329
06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
ok, doesn't sound nutty. we pretty much do that but we spray it off when we are home with the hose. haha! This isn't working though. first of all, he pees for a good 30 seconds. This is a long time. I mean, its a lot of urine... :eek:
second, we cant watch him all day to spray it off, plus I think we are drowning the grass, I mean actually drowning it by the time he goes and we are spraying it off. We have herd there is a natural herb you can ad to their food like a powder that helps, um... black olives(???:confused:???) , tomato juice? My mom was just trying to find stuff but I told her no people food, to many risks for poisons. I tried to find the post from a couple months ago that was talking about poisonous foods but I couldn't end up finding it.
I was going to ask if anybody knew what was OK for them to eat, if they have herd of any of this.. and what your thoughts were?

Catlady711
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Has your dog been checked by the vet to be sure the drinking alot of water and urine strength isn't a UTI, or kidneys or diabetes problem?

IRescue452
06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I second the vet check. Diet is also a big factor.

scrain2329
06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
he has already been to the vet for it. We tested fecal, urine, blood, and brain pretty much. Anything and everything has been tested for problems or infection. He started to limp a little bit a while back and I immediately called it, he tore his ACL. He is a little overweight but no diabetes. Other than that, nothing medically wrong with him with infection, or with his organs. Just looking holistically for something to give him to see if it can make it not so hard on the grass.

kfitzp1
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Adding water to your pet’s diet can help dilute urine, leading to less concentrated nitrogen deposits and a less affected lawn. Canned dog food has a lot more water in it but it also has its drawbacks. Feeding a high quality diet may also help since the protein is more digestible and there are fewer waste products. Watering the yard daily helps in some cases but it may not be enough; if you are using fertilizer, you should probably stop, for the sake of your lawn. Per Google, lol.

ChrisH
06-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Grass Saver (http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Grass_Saver_Biscuits)

No idea if they really do work but worth a try, eh?

wolf_Q
06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Is he neutered? I've noticed that unneutered males tend to have a lot stronger urine....at least that's my observation from cleaning up lots of it at work.

scrain2329
06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
yup he is neutered.
he gets more water in his bowl than food when we feed him haha. He chokes and throws up if we don't put water in it... he literally inhales it. I will have to take a video one day and show you guys, maybe you have idea for that too:p

I will try the grass saver. couldn't hurt to try, thank you!

Jags mom
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
My male Jagger has the same problem. His urine is so stong you can smell it a mile away and hes neutered as well. luckly he walks when he pees, so there is not a real consentrated amount of it in one spot. I have not heard of any way to reduce the consentration. Just the way he is maybe. the watering down of the spot works but i gave up on runnig out to wash it down every time he goes. my yard wouldnt be mine without the brown spots.

scrain2329
06-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Jags mom
sometimes he walks around.. like when we go on walks and hes hunting. but when hes on nice green grass... he is sitting still haha!