PDA

View Full Version : Seriously...

blue
05-31-2009, 12:21 AM
There is only 5 or 6 people that are regular posters on PT that are conservative/libertarian/AIP. I may be wrong on this, if I am please correct me, but I believe I am in the minority as a conserevative/AIP member.

Do posters that try to speak for the majority on PT need to make trolling posts/threads to try and chase off the minority?

Does my being pro Second Amendment, or pro choice make me a second class or inferior dog/cat owner? If it does, why?

pomtzu
05-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Do posters that try to speak for the majority on PT need to make trolling posts/threads to try and chase off the minority?

No, but it won't stop as long as there are those around to feed the ones that try. You notice I didn't use the "T" word. :rolleyes:

IMO - the "majority" just prefer to avoid a confrontation, and they also respect the beliefs and opinions of the "minority". They lurk, read the posted comments, form their own opinion, and keep their mouths shut.

And with that said - I will shut up.

Medusa
05-31-2009, 07:19 AM
If we have a little time to actually think about a point made, it's possible that we'll realize that our argument is important only to ourselves and we'll think twice before posting it. Sometimes it's good to let the opinions of others gel a bit, rather than to reply in rapid fire.

moosmom
05-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Amen, Ellie!!!

I choose my battles very carefully.

Karen
05-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Blue, many people here follow the rule Grandma tried to teach us, "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all." Still others prefer not to discuss their politics here on a pet board, others decide not to discuss them publicly at all.

Not everyone thinks fighting about politics is fun. And as this is a place mainly for pet discussion, I know some think discussion of politics is out of place.

Do not assume anyone's political leanings because of their lack of posting on the subject. The one thing we have in common here is love for our pets - that's all that matters!

chocolatepuppy
05-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Blue, many people here follow the rule Grandma tried to teach us, "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all." Still others prefer not to discuss their politics here on a pet board, others decide not to discuss them publicly at all.

Not everyone thinks fighting about politics is fun. And as this is a place mainly for pet discussion, I know some think discussion of politics is out of place.

Do not assume anyone's political leanings because of their lack of posting on the subject. The one thing we have in common here is love for our pets - that's all that matters!

Well said Karen. ;) I prefer not to spend all my pc time in the doghouse, although I do lurk. I come here for 'pet' talk. On most things though, I must say, I agree with you Blue.:cool:

Pam
05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
No, but it won't stop as long as there are those around to feed the ones that try. You notice I didn't use the "T" word. :rolleyes:

IMO - the "majority" just prefer to avoid a confrontation, and they also respect the beliefs and opinions of the "minority". They lurk, read the posted comments, form their own opinion, and keep their mouths shut.

And with that said - I will shut up.

Ellie hit the nail on the head. I hardly ever venture into the Dog House any more and have stopped posting comments. Trust me, there are lots of us around but we choose to not deal with the rudeness.

K9soul
05-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with the others. I lurk and browse but do not participate in political discussions and arguments. Political issues are much like religious issues in that you just generally are not going to change how someone feels about it. A lot of the political fights seem to mostly be one side versus the other side and who can get the best pot shots in at the other and who can do the best job of proving the other party "wrong." I have no desire to get involved in it.

caseysmom
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
There are many people with differing political views than myself that I have the utmost respect for. Many times blue you come across as condescending and arrogant, just keeping it real.

RICHARD
05-31-2009, 01:17 PM
People wear their politics on their shoulder. They assume that who ever has an 'opponent' ideal and they cannot say, "Oh, you have an opposing view and I respect that."

Nope, they go ALL G-STRING and walk around trying to pluck out an opinion that just don't sit right with them.

Tough shoot, because when anyone that sits at opposite ends of a table decide to get their craniums outta the nether regions, things work out.

They move the table out of the room and everyone parties.

I look at politics like this - If you start a convo with a person about politics, and still are able to sit in each other's presence - you managed to respect each other.

I find some politics funny, others serious and most boring.

The only difference between a politician and me is when I eff up, hardly anyone takes notice.

The real reason that some people are so adamant about THEIR politics is that they invest so much of their lives into backing their candidate, they cannot admit they elected an effing moron.

All the effing morons I elected/voted for don't define me, 'speak' for me or care about me.

They just spend my money!:rolleyes::eek::D

aTailOf2Kitties
05-31-2009, 01:33 PM
has anyone ever changed their political opinion on anything just because they read an opposing view on a message board? Discussions usually start civil enough but eventually turn into cut-and-paste-battles between worthy opponents with a case of the blabber-fingers, posting endless articles and stories supporting their views.

This is a pet forum and I've never seen "a certain person" post anything about his pets since I've been here. Have I missed something?

Randi
05-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Blue, I can tell how miffed you are that most PTalkers don’t agree with your political views, or your desire for arming the citizens of USA. What a bummer, eh!

You most definately are in minority here, or I would not be here!

Years ago, we used to have fun on PT, we shared good advice and stories about our pets. :) I fear that many people who browse PT and see all kinds of political bickering, refrain from joining - they would surely expect this Forum to be for pet lovers.

Having seen your posts over a period of time, I was beginning to wonder if you have any pets yourself, because you seem to be posting about everything else than pets.

There are Forums out there for people like you - maybe you should join one. I’ll provide a link here for you:
http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/
... and one more: http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/

It’s outrageous that you can accuse ES for being a troll and turn her thread about a National Park into a political fight! It doesn't seem ES can anything without a nasty comment from you. :mad: I believe quite a few of us are SO fed up with it!

Karen
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
blue does have two dogs, and a cat who adopted him. He has talked about them, just not in the Dog House.

Pam
05-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Blue I don't know enough about your posts to comment. I have stopped reading the Dog House for the most part and definitely stopped posting. To be honest I wish that the Dog House had never been invented. It has caused me to see a side of some people that I would have preferred remain hidden, and I have lost respect for a few PTers. I am not alone in my feelings on this.

Catty1
05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
So much is in how something is said...

It's the difference between:

1. "Dogs should be on leashes all the time!" and
2. "I think/it's my opinion that dogs should be on leashes all the time."

The first expression makes it sound like an absolute truth - the second expression, the speaker OWNS their opinion, and makes it clear that it is THEIRS only.

So, speak FOR yourself, for your own side, not AGAINST anyone else. That works a lot better.

JMO ;)

Medusa
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, blue has talked about Erp many times.

And well said, Catty1. :)

moosmom
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
My Mom always told anyone that came to our house that the 3 things you do not discuss with my father is sex, politics and religion.

Now I know why. Only took 50 years to figure that out.

Arguing or debating about those three subjects is the same as my ex-husband renting space in my head. Gets me nowhere and wastes my time.

Or...

Never argue with a chicken. It wastes your time and p*sses off the chicken.

Take your pick!

lizbud
05-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Blue, I can tell how miffed you are that most PTalkers don’t agree with your political views, or your desire for arming the citizens of USA. What a bummer, eh!

Years ago, we used to have fun on PT, we shared good advice and stories about our pets. :) I fear that many people who browse PT and see all kinds of political bickering, refrain from joining - they would surely expect this Forum to be for pet lovers.

Having seen your posts over a period of time, I was beginning to wonder if you have any pets yourself, because you seem to be posting about everything else than pets.

There are Forums out there for people like you - maybe you should join one. I’ll provide a link here for you:

It’s outrageous that you can accuse ES for being a troll and turn her thread about a National Park into a political fight! It doesn't seem ES can anything without a nasty comment from you. :mad: I believe quite a few of us are SO fed up with it!

I agree & the last few weeks, the rudeness has really been over the top.

Grace
05-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Holy cow - those forums are frightening!! People posting there, and others who post on the opposite side of the spectrum - they are the kind whom I can envision doing evil things - like the man who shot Dr. Tiller earlier today.

Fanatics, rabid fanatics - that's what they are.

Cinder & Smoke
05-31-2009, 06:25 PM
It’s outrageous that you can accuse ES for being a troll and
turn her thread about a National Park into a political fight!

It doesn't seem ES can anything without a nasty comment from you. :mad:
I believe quite a few of us are SO fed up with it!

*Agreed*! :cool:

The frequent *jumping to conclusions* and sometimes pointless *bashing*
are getting a bit hard to read ...

Blue and a couple others might want to *give it a REST* and
tell a few Pet Tails.

;)

phesina
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Never argue with a chicken. It wastes your time and p*sses off the chicken.

Another version: Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Edwina's Secretary
05-31-2009, 07:47 PM
It has caused me to see a side of some people that I would have preferred remain hidden, and I have lost respect for a few PTers. I am not alone in my feelings on this.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Pam!

moosmom
05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Phesina,

Pig, chicken, duck, I knew it was one of those. I'm having alot of senior moments lately. Makes me want to call the Alzheimer's toll free number to see if that's one of the 10 signs I'm getting it.:p

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
These are the times that try mens souls... I think it is time to stop focusing so much on "style" and more on substance. Now I know that sometimes things are juts so over the top that it deserves no responce.

But all we get any more are the "sides" cheerleading each other. Nothing is every really discussed because, again IMO, certian people are either unwilling or not able to offer original thought. Its a lot of "I agree" or posting a news article and saying "this is stupid" or "I agree".

FWIW, I am more than willing to debate, really debate, any of the "touchy" subjects with anybody who would have it. :) But you have to understand that politics is a contact sport.... Sometimes you get a bloody nose. Which is good for ya, now and then. I've had my share and appreciate it. Its how we best learn... Not by just cheerleading along with people whom we agree with.

Karen
05-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Politics need not be a "contact sport" here on Pet Talk. If you want to really argue about politics, instead of having polite, respectful discussion, there are other boards where that is more appropriate, and welcome.

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Politics need not be a "contact sport" here on Pet Talk. If you want to really argue about politics, instead of having polite, respectful discussion, there are other boards where that is more appropriate, and welcome.

I understand. But to REALLY debate politics, the gloves NEED to be able to come off. (Not talking about demeaning the other person.) Read some of notes from our Constitutional Convention...

IMO, there it is very rarely wrong to say what you mean, and mean what you say. How much better would our country be if we ALL just played our cards face up? Yeah, that means some people would "out" themselves... But is that a bad thing? LOL

sparks19
05-31-2009, 10:26 PM
I am also one that doesn't really venture here all that often anymore. I don't have the time. I'm busy with hannah and "just counting beads".

But my opinion is those in glass houses shoudlnt' throw stones. and that goes for everyone.

This section of the forum would be great if we just stuck to the subject and talked about that. But it ALWAYS ends up being about how someone can't spell or how their grammar isn't perfect or reading words taht aren't there and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Can't we jsut read what is on the screen... take the info (despite any spelling errors) and go with that and talk about THAT?

it seems that we can't.

I'm just not into putting people down based on the way they spell or the job they do in life or antyhing else. It's not the person I want to be and not the person I want people to think I am so I have stayed away for the most part.

caseysmom
05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
I am also one that doesn't really venture here all that often anymore. I don't have the time. I'm busy with hannah and "just counting beads".

But my opinion is those in glass houses shoudlnt' throw stones. and that goes for everyone.

This section of the forum would be great if we just stuck to the subject and talked about that. But it ALWAYS ends up being about how someone can't spell or how their grammar isn't perfect or reading words taht aren't there and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Can't we jsut read what is on the screen... take the info (despite any spelling errors) and go with that and talk about THAT?

it seems that we can't.

I'm just not into putting people down based on the way they spell or the job they do in life or antyhing else. It's not the person I want to be and not the person I want people to think I am so I have stayed away for the most part.

Good post and I couldn't agree more. The originator of this thread nit picked my spelling and thats when I lost respect.

Twisterdog
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I will post occasionally in the Dog House, if there is a topic that I just can't leave alone. I usually just scan the headings, yawn, and move on. I am interested to a certain point in politics, but a little bit goes a long way with me. Discussing it in great detail for months on end just puts me to sleep.

I agree with others, this a pet-related site. Sure, it's nice to have the General and Dog House categories, because while pets are big part of lives, they are not our whole lives. We also like to talk about our families, jobs, etc. But the base of this site is animals, not politics. I think that is why you don't see a huge interest in detailed political debate. Just like people registered on political website might mention their pets in a thread or two in the general section, but you're not going to see anything like we have here concerning pets. Just different interests, different focus.

RICHARD
05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Hee Hee.

Some of my most cherished contacts here on PT have OPPOSITE views of mine.

They have a great sense of humor and know when I am tweaking noses.

They rock because they can tweak back. I understand where they come from and am able to have a good 'disagreement' with then and later on laugh about it.

Politics is a contact sport.

The sound of two glasses clinking during a toast, is the way that politics should be handled. After a spirited discussion, break out the booze.

Contact enough!
-------------------

Politics is a very personal subject, as is sex and religion....

GD it, those effing politicians are screwing us again!;)

-------------------------

As I said on the morning of 9/11 to my parents, when I decided to go to work.

"The terrorists don't care about an old Mexican couple in California."

Neither do the politicians, so do not place yourself on a pedestal rooting for those SOBs that get into office on OUR vote and laugh at our stupidity.

Karen
05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
I understand. But to REALLY debate politics, the gloves NEED to be able to come off. (Not talking about demeaning the other person.) Read some of notes from our Constitutional Convention...

I do know that about politics. That is why I chose not to join political sites. And politicians of the past were not all always civil or respectful, but they were not part of Pet Talk, either.

blue
06-01-2009, 02:11 AM

An honest debate is a good mental exercise, political fighting is a different animal all together. I dont try and disguise a political thread when I post here, and I dont delete it if it dosent go the way I thought it would.

There are many people with differing political views than myself that I have the utmost respect for. Many times blue you come across as condescending and arrogant, just keeping it real.

Many of my liberal real life friends come across as more then condescending and arrogant, that dosent stop me from being friends with them or have any less respect for them.

People wear their politics on their shoulder. They assume that who ever has an 'opponent' ideal and they cannot say, "Oh, you have an opposing view and I respect that."

Nope, they go ALL G-STRING and walk around trying to pluck out an opinion that just don't sit right with them.

Tough shoot, because when anyone that sits at opposite ends of a table decide to get their craniums outta the nether regions, things work out.

They move the table out of the room and everyone parties.

I look at politics like this - If you start a convo with a person about politics, and still are able to sit in each other's presence - you managed to respect each other.

I find some politics funny, others serious and most boring.

The only difference between a politician and me is when I eff up, hardly anyone takes notice.

The real reason that some people are so adamant about THEIR politics is that they invest so much of their lives into backing their candidate, they cannot admit they elected an effing moron.

All the effing morons I elected/voted for don't define me, 'speak' for me or care about me.

They just spend my money!:rolleyes::eek::D

I just like your posts, you do bring the funnay.

has anyone ever changed their political opinion on anything just because they read an opposing view on a message board? Discussions usually start civil enough but eventually turn into cut-and-paste-battles between worthy opponents with a case of the blabber-fingers, posting endless articles and stories supporting their views.

This is a pet forum and I've never seen "a certain person" post anything about his pets since I've been here. Have I missed something?

I voted for Bob Barr because of a discussion on an Offroad Forum, and Im currently wearing a McCain tshirt.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147044

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147045

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147043

I hope the pics still work since my yahoo account expired.

If the pics in the threads still work Ill include Bailey.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147075

I wish I still had pics of my fish and sting rays.

I am in no way miffed Randie, if I where I would have been a thread deleter and made a thread back pedaling my position.

I dont mind being in the minority but when I post a political thread I dont try and disguise it as something else and delete it when it doesnt go how I thought it would.

Scroll up just a little above for my pets. FWIW my digi cam sucks and other then showing my dogs do great on a tandem lead on the over head cable run I realy havent much to share. I know I realy should be taking more pics of the Hellions and Erp, I do know Im going to regret it later when they are gone.

If the 2 links you posted are anything like the DemocraticUnderground they arent interested in a honest debate. I may take the timne to look at them later but to tell you the truth, preaching to the choir is boring.

ES even posted that her original National Park thread was to provide a political balance at PT, after I agreed that the NPS is a worthwhile spending of Federal Funds in that thread. I corrected a few historical facts in the deleted thread. I've called her a troll but not in the National Parks thread. She has accused me of trolling as well, Im sure you arent in anyway outraged about that. Besides, I at least have a backbone enough not to delete the thread and back pedal.

I agree & the last few weeks, the rudeness has really been over the top.

From both sides.

Holy cow - those forums are frightening!! People posting there, and others who post on the opposite side of the spectrum - they are the kind whom I can envision doing evil things - like the man who shot Dr. Tiller earlier today.

Fanatics, rabid fanatics - that's what they are.

Again I will bring up the DemocraticUnderground, I havent looked at the forums Randie posted, Im jusssayin.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Pam!

More National Park pics! Thats all I realy wanted.

Good post and I couldn't agree more. The originator of this thread nit picked my spelling and thats when I lost respect.

The irony is I am dyslexic, have ADD, and you make spelling errors that are very obvious to me. Thats pretty rare.

I do know that about politics. That is why I chose not to join political sites. And politicians of the past were not all always civil or respectful, but they were not part of Pet Talk, either.

Most political sites all preach to the choir and the cheerleaders lead, the ones that dont play along to get along join the band.

caseysmom
06-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Two crutches????

blue
06-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Two crutches????

That I have learned to overcome quite well, thank you.

caseysmom
06-01-2009, 02:43 AM
That I have learned to overcome quite well, thank you.

Must have if your so comfortable being the critic.

blue
06-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Must have if your so comfortable being the critic.

Ironic aint it?

Medusa
06-01-2009, 06:55 AM
You see? It just doesn't stop. Sparks19 pointed out that insults and criticisms fly which is the reason she and several others hesitate to join in at the DH but it still doesn't get through to some people. "She can't mean me" is the attitude that seems to prevail here. I was so one-pointed when I first joined PT that I didn't even notice the DH or General. I was focused on my cats and their health and well being. It was probably a couple of years before I ventured into DH territory. This is a pet site after all.

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 07:14 AM
I like the DH and some of the threads here.

I don't take someone's 'opinion' to heart and I can handle the barbs tossed my way.

I don't judge anyone for their views and find that when a discussion breaks down to name calling, it just means that the name caller didn't do their homework, can't debate a point and should not be so pompous that they cannot admit another's view is just as valid as the next.

Politics does make strange bedfellows-just sleep with one eye open-those Lefties are a kinky bunch, the Righties want to regulate what happens between the sheets and the mods are too busy trying to hide their proclivities.

P.S. I have never posted amongst the gods- and still have not!:eek::rolleyes:;)

K9soul
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I was so one-pointed when I first joined PT that I didn't even notice the DH or General. I was focused on my cats and their health and well being. It was probably a couple of years before I ventured into DH territory. This is a pet site after all.

I was just thinking about this last night. I joined PT and didn't even wander out of Dog General for the first few weeks. Most people come here for pet-related reasons and spend their initial time here introducing and talking about their own pets and getting to know the pets of others here. By the time I "discovered" the Dog House I had already become attached to members and their pets, knew their "good" side so to speak, and was better able to respect their viewpoints on more controversial topics.

Blue, the first posts I ever saw by you were in the Doghouse, during a heated election time. You put political statements in your signature soon after you joined. It is only natural it put people on the defensive and made them wonder about your motives for joining. Yes I have seen rudeness and pettiness on both sides, but you feed into it just as much as anyone else, so I don't understand how you can accuse others while participating in the same level of behavior yourself. I'd love to learn more about other aspects of you and your pets, but I really only see you in the Doghouse. Because of that, your posts here define you. I guess what I am trying to say is it would be nice to see the other sides to you more often besides the debating/political side.

Cinder & Smoke
06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
As a follow-up to these thoughts >>>

Politics need not be a "contact sport" here on Pet Talk.
If you want to really argue about politics, instead of having polite, respectful discussion,
there are other boards where that is more appropriate, and welcome.

I do know that about politics.
That is why I chose not to join political sites.
And politicians of the past were not all always civil or respectful,
but they were not part of Pet Talk, either.

I offer a quote from a long-time Pet Talker who most folks know well:

"I think it’s OK with the odd political thread,
but the Forum is flooded with them now.

Ha, just think about it ... I’ve been telling my friends from a Cat group
that PT is such a nice and friendly Forum, with good stories
and advice about pets. If they take a look and see this sort of rubbish,
imagine what they will think!"

Let's TRY to remember that PT was and IS supposed to be about our PETS -
IF I want to read about the World's Problems and how the politicians are
stealing & wasting my tax dollars, there are a zillion other web sites I can visit ...

I come to Pet Talk to **ENJOY** myself and swap Pet Tails ...
NOT to get all wound up in tales of grief, mayhem, and rottten politics.

Let's get back to Basics ... the subject is PETS.

/s/ Phred

lizbud
06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I understand. But to REALLY debate politics, the gloves NEED to be able to come off. (Not talking about demeaning the other person.

You say" I understand" but you still don't seem to understand what
Karen is saying. This is not a "debate" forum. It's a pet forum. I like
to post on current events as well as pets , and for that I'm glad there
is a dog house.

JenBKR
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I am not a very political person, but sometimes I will comment in the political threads. Shortly after the elections I made a comment that got me flamed by a PTer who did not understand at all what I said (I was making a joke about not being able to keep up with the elections because of Ty). I apologized and edited my post, but I suppose that wasn't good enough for this person. Soo, I haven't been in the dog house much lately (although I haven't been on PT much, or even the computer, because I have been so busy with Ty). Maybe we should all think before we respond. I do think that there are some people on here who can be condesending, or seem to take it personally if someone has a different opinion. There are people on here who I greatly respect, even if I don't share their opinions on everything.

Alysser
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I am not a very political person, but sometimes I will comment in the political threads. Shortly after the elections I made a comment that got me flamed by a PTer who did not understand at all what I said (I was making a joke about not being able to keep up with the elections because of Ty). I apologized and edited my post, but I suppose that wasn't good enough for this person. Soo, I haven't been in the dog house much lately (although I haven't been on PT much, or even the computer, because I have been so busy with Ty). Maybe we should all think before we respond. I do think that there are some people on here who can be condesending, or seem to take it personally if someone has a different opinion. There are people on here who I greatly respect, even if I don't share their opinions on everything.

The same thing happened to me, Jen. I was not rude to anyone in my statement either just had a different opinion, and because I'm 16(which someone mentioned as they were posting) I "don't know anything about politics". So I just edited the post and left the Dog house and I've not posted in a political thread since.

Just saying that Blue isn't the only one who is rude in some of the threads, many people are on both sides. We all need to come to a compromise, not just him.

pomtzu
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Just saying that Blue isn't the only one who is rude in some of the threads, many people are on both sides. We all need to come to a compromise, not just him.

A wise statement from a teenager. Thank you. ;)

JenBKR
06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
The same thing happened to me, Jen. I was not rude to anyone in my statement either just had a different opinion, and because I'm 16(which someone mentioned as they were posting) I "don't know anything about politics". So I just edited the post and left the Dog house and I've not posted in a political thread since.

It can hurt to be shut down like that. I am sorry it happened to you...I personally think that you are a very mature teenager.

smokey the elder
06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
A line from a song by a group ironically titled "War" asks, "why can't we be friends?" There are places where I'll weigh in, others that I decide that the debate is too hot and "ad hominem" for my tastes. I would hope that we collectively consider what we write, and read it again before hitting "send".

lizbud
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM

If ever you feel mistreated in a thread again, please call the person
on it, myself included. Don't be afraid to say a comment was not fair.
The other person then can explain/or not.

I usually make a mental note of what & who made a snide or insulting
comment in a thread. You can see it go downhill after that.

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I seen you 'round for a long long time
I really 'membered you when you drink my wine

Why can't we be friends?

I seen you walkin' down in Chinatown
I called you but you could not look around

I bring my money to the welfare line
I see you standing in it every time

The color of your skin don't matter to me
As long as we can live in harmony

I'd kinda like to be the President
so I can show you how your money's spent

Why can't we be friends?

Sometimes I don't speak too bright
but yet I know what I'm talking about

I know you're working for the CIA
they wouldn't have you in the Mafia....

--------------------------------

It's all about people not wanting to budge from an ideal.

If someone comes to me with an idea and they aren't confrontational about it, I am more apt to listen to them as opposed to someone who starts to hem and haw.

------------------------

The people who I have butted heads with in the past and have come to accept my stupid and moronic posts, are the best and 'funnest' members on the site. They see it's not a personal difference-it's more a difference of opinions and they don't venture into the "I don't like you because of your politics".

They see that politics do not define the person, it's the civility and respect we show each other.

----------------------

I think I'll tune in Keith Olberman and make snarky comments about his manhood, hairstyle and stupid comments.

He can't hear me.:D

Hellow
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Alrighty, time I butt myself into this thread

Political debate is one thing. Debating is good, you generally have reasonable outcomes from such things. When we talk about tech in some of the places that I frequent, debates come up often. Nothing bad generally happens, and we seem to get things done faster after one (I dont know how, dont ask). When things turn from a debate into a all-out war, then things change. Blue is not the only person to blame for doing the latter that I mentioned.

People that cannot hold their tempers, people that always try to force their opinions onto others do not need to participate in these types of debates. Bad things happen when they do. I know that fact very well.

Those things aside, politics are a very rough area in the first place. History shows that, and people need to realize it. That's my $0.02 on that subject.

On the subject of blue expressing his opinion in his signature, and ill be blunt with this, did that impair your ability to browse this forum? Was it really that controversial that you had to call him on it? People express their opinion all the time, its a part of life. Deal with it.

Daisy and Delilah
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I am not an expert on politics or do I feel I can discuss politics on much of any level. This is why I avoid the political threads.

I have to say that I've noticed that blue is not the only person that needs to be pointed to here. As a matter of fact, I've noticed, on a couple of occasions, he has been blasted for simply stating his opinion. That opinion was not necessarily damaging enough to be criticized either.

blue: I really hope we can keep you on this board and you don't feel the need to leave. I always get upset when a community member feels overwhelmed and ends up disappearing.

I want to also mention; excellent post from Alyssa and Collin. You two really give young people a good name.:)

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Alrighty, time I butt myself into this thread

Political debate is one thing. Debating is good, you generally have reasonable outcomes from such things. When we talk about tech in some of the places that I frequent, debates come up often. Nothing bad generally happens, and we seem to get things done faster after one (I dont know how, dont ask).

Deal with it.

Great post.

Tekkies are always looking for things that will make the 'system' easier.

Someone in that convo sits back and goes "Effing Bingo! That is the answer."
Their excitement at solving a problem gets voiced at the table and someone sees another solution-they blurt out their thoughts and soon the original subject gets buried because the table buzzes with ideas on how to approach the problem.

The satisfaction of solving a problem, then seeing a solution is the drive that gets people to compromise, work together and get "rid of the table in the room".

With politics, everyone has a solution, but it cannot be put into motion because the AHs that represent us only listen to the people who have money to buy their support.

Again,
Politics do not make me form any personal opinions.

It's the personal opinions about politics than make me give out the stink eye.

-----------

God bless technology!:p

---------
Today's Tom Sawyer, He gets high on you,
And the space he invades, He gets by on you.

No, his mind is not for rent, To any God or government.
Always hopeful, yet discontent, He knows changes arent permanent, But change is.

And what you say about his company, Is what you say about society.
Catch the witness, catch the wit, Catch the spirit, catch the spit.

JenBKR
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
If ever you feel mistreated in a thread again, please call the person
on it, myself included. Don't be afraid to say a comment was not fair.
The other person then can explain/or not.

I usually make a mental note of what & who made a snide or insulting
comment in a thread. You can see it go downhill after that.

Thank you for that - you are someone I have always respected. I think that when the incident I was talking about happened, I was sort of taken aback because it was not at ALL what I was saying, and I tried to explain myself, but I don't think it helped much. The other poster isn't someone I had really ever talked to either...and sometimes I can take things a little personally. It's hard on the internet though, you can't see body language or tone of voice...not to mention that I have a rather odd sense of humor sometimes that not everyone gets ;)

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
If this sounds like Kissing Arse, TFB.

A while ago I joined PT and found myself getting riled up about topics and had a few rows with people on the site.

Karen and Paul could have easily told me to, "Take a walk you loser!"

Since then, I have tried not to be a jerk in my posts. They have give me MILES of latitude and gave us a place where we can be "Slightly Controversial".

They have been the guardians and Moderators of PT and every single post since it started.

I think that one of the most important things about this site, the Dog House and the citizens who call PT home, is that we do respect each other and K& P especially, they do the dirty work in keeping the site running, The least we can do is to respect their time and not act like morons.

-------------------------------

Oh, I want to blurt out &*$^% or #@^%$^% when I read a post-then I think about getting a PM about my behavior.

That's enough to keep me from being a real jerk.
:eek:
----------------

When I read a post that is especially harsh and in-your-face, I pass the urge to comment.

It's like the post about wrestling a pig?

It could be worse, you could wrestle a clown and he'll ask you to stick your hand in his pocket!:(:o:mad:

Thanks Karen and Paul.

One day I'll learn to behave and you will be proud of me.:eek::D

kitten645
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I gave up on the Dog House a while ago. It seems a very few people were monopolizing the forum and trying to provoke people. I'm definately one that doesn't think that a "bloody nose" ever helped a situation. Ever. I've also come to realize that my political views are not likely to change much less be changed by someone I don't respect so what's the point in aggrevating myself? :rolleyes: I'm open to learning why people feel the way they do but the bashing is too much. I totally agree this is a PET site. I do love the Ignore feature here but as I mentioned, the forum is dominated by a few that I have on ignore and therefore it's pretty pointless reading the threads.
I for one do not find the arguements disguised as debate, enjoyable.
I take my politics seriously but I express my feelings not in cyberspace but in the real world. I would never be arrogant enough to think that I could change someones mind, particularly someone I've never met. I'll stick to cute kitty pics :p The world has enough negative energy. :love:
Claudia

PS Funny that the song from War was quoted. They played here over the weekend and a bunch of people ended up stabbed!:eek: So much for "friends"! LOL.

Pinot's Mom
06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I have not been a member for THAT long, but I have posted a bit. I have not posted in very controversial spaces because, as it's been noted before, this is not that forum. I have had one post deleted by Karen, and I actually thanked her for it because it was the right thing to do. Sometimes you have to take a step back and realize you're posting a visceral response that's not right. As Richard said "The least we can do is to respect their time and not act like morons."

'nuff said.

Maggie

K9soul
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
On the subject of blue expressing his opinion in his signature, and ill be blunt with this, did that impair your ability to browse this forum? Was it really that controversial that you had to call him on it? People express their opinion all the time, its a part of life. Deal with it.

I suppose this is directed at me since I was the one who made mention of the signature, and you took it completely out of the context of which it was posted. I was pointing out to blue, since he started this thread and I was posting to the thread he started, that the manner in which he jumped into PT, going immediately to the Dog House without participating in any other part of the board first (that I saw), and immediately putting political statements in the sig. Those things combined were enough to make people question the motive he joined: Was it to join a pet board or was it to plunge into debate and argument? No where did I "call him out" for the sig. No where did I express that I was upset about what he had in his sig or that I was offended by it. I could care less what it says. It was a simply a piece of a whole picture in the first impression that I was trying to explain. Each of those little pieces put together can have contributed to people being more defensive and less open in conversation than they might have otherwise.

And this is another reason I rarely post in here. People nitpick phrases, pick one sentence out of an entire post so it is out of context and then only respond to that.

I stated I'd enjoy seeing other sides to Blue other than the debating/political side, and I would. It's the only side I've really seen other than some kind condolence messages to people with losses. I'm sure there is more to get to know. Until then he's just "that guy that argues in the doghouse all the time about politics."

That said, yes the private little wars that seem to be going on have gotten so very personal and seem to infiltrate other threads that aren't even to do with politics or in the doghouse. It's tiring and discouraging and makes me forego giving opinions on some things I might otherwise have joined in on.

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
As Richard said "The least we can do is to respect their time and not act like morons."

'nuff said.

Maggie

But have you ever wrestled a clown?:eek::confused:;)

Thursdays is still the place to be in the Dog House.:D

K9soul
06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
All right, I had walked away from the computer but kept thinking to myself, people still aren't going to get what your point is, they'll see it as choosing sides. So let's take names and specifics out of it and create an analogy:

I find a message board about pets. Most of the forums have to do with pets but there's a general section and in THAT section is a forum for more controversial subjects. I join this board at a time there is some intense argument going on whether they will make the site colors orange themed or purple themed. The first thing I do is jump into that thread and make it known purple theme is the best way to go and I fight tooth and nail with anyone who says otherwise. I make a signature right away in which I promote the purple theme vigorously. These people who are part of the pet board are looking at my posts, they're looking at my signature, and they are thinking "This person joined just to argue and fight over this hot controversy. She really isn't interested in talking about her pets or participating in the thing this whole board is truly about. She's not one of us."

They are going to be less civil to me, less tolerant of me. They will be more dismissive of my arguments. They are going to have their preconceived notions of what I'm about, that I'm only here to argue and prove my own views to be the correct ones.

And so that was my point: The things you say and do when you first meet up with a group of people, whether in person or on a board, influence the reception you will be received with. Just some food for thought.

blue
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
All right, I had walked away from the computer but kept thinking to myself, people still aren't going to get what your point is, they'll see it as choosing sides. So let's take names and specifics out of it and create an analogy:

I find a message board about pets. Most of the forums have to do with pets but there's a general section and in THAT section is a forum for more controversial subjects. I join this board at a time there is some intense argument going on whether they will make the site colors orange themed or purple themed. The first thing I do is jump into that thread and make it known purple theme is the best way to go and I fight tooth and nail with anyone who says otherwise. I make a signature and right away in which I promote the purple theme vigorously. These people who are part of the pet board are looking at my posts, they're looking at my signature, and they are thinking "This person joined just to argue and fight over this hot controversy. She really isn't interested in talking about her pets or participating in the thing this whole board is truly about. She's not one of us."

They are going to be less civil to me, less tolerant of me. They will be more dismissive of my arguments. They are going to have their preconceived notions of what I'm about, that I'm only here to argue and prove my own views to be the correct ones.

And so that was my point: The things you say and do when you first meet up with a group of people, whether in person or on a board, influence the reception you will be received with. Just some food for thought.

Point taken.

K9soul
06-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Point taken.

I hope that means we'll get to see and hear more about your pups soon ;). I'll be keeping an eye out :D

blue
06-01-2009, 11:07 PM
I hope that means we'll get to see and hear more about your pups soon ;). I'll be keeping an eye out :D

I checked my posts, I have 12 pages of non DH posts and the minority are of the RIP or good thoughts type.

Hopefully Ill get out rafting soon and have lotsa pics.

K9soul
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I checked my posts, I have 12 pages of non DH posts and the minority are of the RIP or good thoughts type.

Hopefully Ill get out rafting soon and have lotsa pics.

I admit I don't always keep up well here, especially in the general section, but I will certainly keep an eye out for your pictures. I tend to see more threads that people start than ones folks reply in, but I don't doubt I still miss quite a bit.

blue
06-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I admit I don't always keep up well here, especially in the general section, but I will certainly keep an eye out for your pictures. I tend to see more threads that people start than ones folks reply in, but I don't doubt I still miss quite a bit.

Heck I think your posts and Reggies are the only ones Ive read in this thread today. I need to backtrack and see what was said about my sig, I may put that off till tommorrow night..

blue
06-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Sparks19 pointed out that insults and criticisms fly which is the reason she and several others hesitate to join in at the DH but it still doesn't get through to some people.

Sparks is a very tough cookie. She can handle her own as I have seen on another forum.

Hellow
06-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I suppose this is directed at me since I was the one who made mention of the signature, and you took it completely out of the context of which it was posted. I was pointing out to blue, since he started this thread and I was posting to the thread he started, that the manner in which he jumped into PT, going immediately to the Dog House without participating in any other part of the board first (that I saw), and immediately putting political statements in the sig. Those things combined were enough to make people question the motive he joined: Was it to join a pet board or was it to plunge into debate and argument? No where did I "call him out" for the sig. No where did I express that I was upset about what he had in his sig or that I was offended by it. I could care less what it says. It was a simply a piece of a whole picture in the first impression that I was trying to explain. Each of those little pieces put together can have contributed to people being more defensive and less open in conversation than they might have otherwise.

And this is another reason I rarely post in here. People nitpick phrases, pick one sentence out of an entire post so it is out of context and then only respond to that.

I stated I'd enjoy seeing other sides to Blue other than the debating/political side, and I would. It's the only side I've really seen other than some kind condolence messages to people with losses. I'm sure there is more to get to know. Until then he's just "that guy that argues in the doghouse all the time about politics."

Sorry, I tend to take things out of context when I get on a roll :).

That said, yes the private little wars that seem to be going on have gotten so very personal and seem to infiltrate other threads that aren't even to do with politics or in the doghouse. It's tiring and discouraging and makes me forego giving opinions on some things I might otherwise have joined in on.

Another reason why I rarely post in any forum other than General.

blue
06-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Another reason why I rarely post in any forum other than General.

Trying to keep posts G rated can be tiresome huh?

Hellow
06-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Trying to keep posts G rated can be tiresome huh?

Yep. Others I know find it impossible to do that, though.

blue
06-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Yep. Others I know find it impossible to do that, though.

LMAO, you are a cool kid.

Hellow
06-02-2009, 01:17 AM
LMAO, you are a cool kid.

Heh, thanks :).

Medusa
06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Sparks is a very tough cookie. She can handle her own as I have seen on another forum.

Blue, this is exactly what everyone is talking about! Stop nitpicking and look at the meat of the comment, would ya? You and a few others, women included, like to poke your finger in our eyes and, I for one, am tired of it. I have defended you but I will not be called out. This is primarily a PET SITE.

pomtzu
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I personally think that some people tend to post negatively because they have a veil of anonymity. It's like they have an attitude of: "who cares - I'm never going to meet this person face to face - so it doesn't matter what I say or what they think". That doesn't make it right tho.

And I've seen plenty of negative, rude, ignorant, remarks in other areas too - not just in the DH. A differing opinion, no matter where it is, seems to bring out the worst in some people.

And btw blue - you bear an uncanny resemblance to my first born. It's okay tho - I won't hold that against you! :p

kokopup
06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I recall back in the CB radio boon you had the same mentality. I thought that the same aseole followed me everywhere I traveled. They were not happy unless the were creating havoc on the air. They were always looking for a fight. I really don't understand this mindset.

Early on, on this forum I responded to one of pomtzu's post in a belittling way. Medusa, a class act, called me on my statement and I ended up apologizing for my post. Since then Ellie has become one of my PT friends. I learned from my insensitive statement that it is better to way carefully what you post, because unthinking responses can hurt.

pomtzu
06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Early on, on this forum I responded to one of pomtzu's post in a belittling way. Medusa, a class act, called me on my statement and I ended up apologizing for my post. Since then Ellie has become one of my PT friends. I learned from my insensitive statement that it is better to way carefully what you post, because unthinking responses can hurt.

Thanks Bill - I value your friendship - even tho it did get off on the wrong foot. I may also have been overly sensitive (or pms'ing even tho I'm way past that), that day, and blown it out of proportion in my mind. :eek: I've since learned to tone it down too. :D

Puckstop and I went head to head once quite a while back - and I actually like him now too.

blue
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Blue, this is exactly what everyone is talking about! Stop nitpicking and look at the meat of the comment, would ya? You and a few others, women included, like to poke your finger in our eyes and, I for one, am tired of it. I have defended you but I will not be called out. This is primarily a PET SITE.

And I have not been confrontational or controversial outside of the DH. I in no way called you on anything and i did not intend to sound like I did.

Yes this post is a back pedal.

Medusa
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I in no way called you on anything and i did not intend to sound like I did.

Ok, then we're good. Can we move on now? :)

Medusa
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanx for the kind words, Bill, although if you could see me in my sweats and no makeup, you may change your mind about calling me a class act. ;) Seriously though, it takes a big person to be able to say "I'm sorry" and/or "I was wrong".

Hellow
06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
This is primarily a PET SITE.

Primarily. The forums under the subsection "Other" are not pet-specific.

Medusa
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Primarily. The forums under the subsection "Other" are not pet-specific.

The word "primarily" in my post already made that clear.

blue
06-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I recall back in the CB radio boon

I miss the days of my mobile CB. Ild love to get a Galaxy or a General Lee in my ZJ or get my pogo stick and base set up here at the house. Due to the terrain the local offroad crowd is getting into VHF and a repeater setup, so Im looking into that as well.

caseysmom
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Ellie hit the nail on the head. I hardly ever venture into the Dog House any more and have stopped posting comments. Trust me, there are lots of us around but we choose to not deal with the rudeness.

I miss you around here so much Pam, your my favorite Republican you know:love: I hope I didn't offend you during the elections, it got pretty ugly around here.

blue
06-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Thats pretty messed up that some of yall chased off those you considerred friends.

Hellow
06-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Thats pretty messed up that some of yall chased off those you considerred friends.

I've seen it many times. Others have chased me off, too.

blue
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I've seen it many times. Others have chased me off, too.

If my tax thread offended you in anyway Im sorry, but others shouldnt be bridled to pull for others and see no benifit from their labors.

beeniesmom
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM

I'll agree with that.

Hellow
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I'll agree with that.

Why did you have to revive this thread? Please, tell me. Do you just *want* to restart the flaming that was going on here?

beeniesmom
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I didn't mean to 'revive' anything.
I was gone for over a week and was reading all the threads I missed.
Sorry to have replied to anything today that I may have missed ... :rolleyes:
I didn't know I had to justify every single comment.

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Why did you have to revive this thread? Please, tell me. Do you just *want* to restart the flaming that was going on here?

For crying out loud, why can't Carmen reply? This is not an old thread that needed 'reviving,' the last post was 5 days ago. Actually, I thought that this was a good thread, and the post that she quoted was an especially good one. I have no idea why you would post such a thing :mad:

blue
06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I didn't mean to 'revive' anything.
I was gone for over a week and was reading all the threads I missed.
Sorry to have replied to anything today that I may have missed ... :rolleyes:
I didn't know I had to justify every single comment.

No worries, it was a good post.