PDA

View Full Version : Wish us luck

sparks19
05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Well.. Unplanned....

this is hannah's first night without her binky (pacifier).

I really wasn't planning on weaning her until she had all of her teeth since it seems to bring her relief... however... circumstances have made that impossible lol

first... the other night she went to bed with her binky and when she got up the binky was NOWHERE to be found... it was gone. We have searched everyway and tore her bed apart... it's GONE.

Today... while getting her ready for bed and her snuggles we searched high and low for her other binky that she has been using. GONE. seriously it's nowhere to be found. We looked EVERYWHERE. GONE.

So despite our best attempts her binky is no more... so she went to bed tonight without one.

she actually did so much better than I thought. She cried for the first 45 minutes... which was hard for me to not go in and snuggle her. but I let her cry it out this time and she fell asleep. she woke up about an hour later and this time she was really upset so I went in and got her and snuggled her for a little bit. She was REALLY stuffed up... yeah she's also got a bit of a cold so Nice time for her binky to disappear lol.

I put her back to bed a few minutes later and since then she has been fast asleep. I really can't believe how well she has done without her binky... although I guess I shoudlnt' be surprised. she adjusts well to everyting.

So wish us luck that the next few nights go as well

Medusa
05-29-2009, 05:45 AM
I remember those times well. (My son would kill me if he knew I posted this.) Just like you, I was surprised at how well it went, too. I'm sure it'll be fine from now on, Mom. :)

Cookiebaker
05-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Oooh, good luck and hang in there, Mama!

I DREADED the binky weaning process so much, but when we actually went through it, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. I was convinced in my head that she couldn't sleep without it, and that it would be the end of naptime if I took it away. But as it turned out, that is so not the case at all. yes, it was a rough 3-5 days, but we got through them to the other side. So hang in there, and you both can do this! :D

pomtzu
05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Good luck - hopefully she won't miss it for too much longer.

I was fortunate and never went thru the binky blues, since neither of my kids ever had one. My oldest had colic, and the doctor recommended that I try a binky, but he would just scream and spit it out. He even gave up the bottle when he was only 7 months old, and demanded to drink out of a sippy cup. My younger son was contentedly sleeping thru the night when he was 2 weeks old. I look back now and realize how fortunate I was. I probably won't have such good luck in my next life! :eek:

moosmom
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
My daughter had a binky when she was little. My father was so appauled, he yanked it out of her mouth and shoved her thumb in her mouth. He said no granddaughter of his was going to walk around with a pacifier in her mouth. His reasoning was when a baby has a pacifier, they have full use of both hands. This way, in order to use their hands, they have to take their thumb out of their mouth. Needless to say, my daughter sucked her thumb for 5 years and it effected her teeth. She wound up having braces for 3 years at a hefty price. We had to bribe her with a dollhouse in order to get her to stop. We tried everything to get her to stop. Nasty tasting stuff on her thumb, wrapping her thumb in gauze. You name it, we tried it.

Babies need to suckle. It calms them. The only thing I don't believe in, is a older child walking around with a binky. I get aggravated whenever I see it. But, to each his own.

gini
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I remember the "we are all grown up and don't need a binky" period with my little niece. It didn't sit well for a day or two - but she lived and life became normal sans binkies.

sparks19
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah they actually started Hannah on the binky when she was in the nicu because she couldn't eat for the first couple of days so she had to satisfy that need to suckle somehow. and then after she came home she still just had this really strong urge to suckle ALL the time. so then her binky dependance was formed lol. After that I found that it really brought her relief to suck when her teeth were coming in.

And she always used it to sleep so I was really prepared for a fight.

But... she did really well. She woke up that one tmie about an hour after she fell asleep but I think that was more because she was really stuffed up and not about the binky because I just snuggled her a little and changed her diaper and she went right back to sleep.

She woke up once about 4:30 am and I went in and changed her bum and gave her a little bit of milk while I was changing her and when I put her back to bed she fell right asleep. although I can't wait to hear how naptime at daycare goes today lol but she really handled it a lot better than I expected :)

So I guess we are officially binky free since I still haven't found it laying around anywhere haha.

catnapper
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I sometimes think we grownups make more of an issue than they do. I was prepared for binky withdrawl on Cameron. Like you, weaning happeneed simply because all binkies were lost. As soon as he was weaned, they all started popping up in the strangest places. I found one in the trunk of my car just last week! How is my trunk strange? Because I got the car AFTER he was weaned off binkies! :D

Then I thought weaning him off the blankie would be horrific! I told him the blankies were all dirty and he could get them out of the washer in the morning. He never asked, and I never gave them back to him. Who thought it would be that easy?

Like I said, we adults figure it'll be a fight. And a lot of the time, its something they deal with just fine.

caseysmom
05-29-2009, 06:51 PM
When my kids were born in the early nineties it was frowned on so my daughter started sucking her thumb. I had to pay sevently dollars for a device that wouldn't allow her to suck her thumb.

Her teeth were damaged from the sucking. My other daughter had to have a blankie with the silkie trim, we lost it in tahoe one weekend, spent the whole next day looking for another one.

caseysmom
05-30-2009, 08:55 PM
How is our sweet Hannah doing today? I hope its not too hard on her or either of her parents:D

sparks19
05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
How is our sweet Hannah doing today? I hope its not too hard on her or either of her parents:D

She did REALLY well last night.

Tonight she really fought it though lol. but she is fast asleep now. PHEW

I think it's harder on us than it is on her lol... MUCH harder

moosmom
05-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Sparks19,

Boy did you get off easy!!!! Glad to hear she's doing well.