PDA

View Full Version : iMac 17" dual core....MacOS and Windows both...HELP

Catty1
05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I will be talking to two tech friends on this, but there are people on PT who always have suggestions that no one else thinks of.

1. Client has iMac that runs both Windows XP and a Mac OS (don't know which one). She "did something" and now has lost the desktop button (in the tray) where she can "switch to Safari". (She has Safari on Windows too, but she means the Mac...this makes my head hurt). :eek:

I have used the "option" button technique, but the keyboard is a bit sticky...having a four-year-old around helps that, I think.

Any idea where I might find the Boot Camp file in Windows?

2. This computer - the Windows side, anyway - has a 40GB HD. That is FAR below the specs for a new one of these; I think someone 'refurbished' it.

Once I get #1 figured out, how do I back up files for two OS's????

3. I want to install a replacement 80G HD (should serve the purpose). Can a regular HD be used, or does Mac have special ones?

THANKS VERY MUCH for any information you can provide.

Hellow
05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Only one I can answer is the 3rd one:
Macs use specially-designed hard drives to fit within the space requirements for the computers they go into. Other than that, I know of no other differences between a regular hard drive.

blue
05-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Is the hard drive partioned for NTFS and the mac format system? I thought Boot Camp was for running XP inside of OS X, not a true dual boot?

Do you have boot/live CDs for the mac OS and XP? Maybe a partion CD for good measure.

jennielynn1970
05-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Ugh.. I hated starting Boot Camp for Mac. I ended up wiping out windows and just using Mac. I know, I know... I should learn it, but Windows had me frustrated.

As for the hard drive, I have had 2 in this one already. The first one was not an Apple brand hard drive, as it was put together by a hacker for me. The 2nd hard drive is also not a Mac drive. I bought it at STAPLES and had them install it for me (for $30) and it can run windows and mac. You don't have to have the Mac drive from Apple in order for it to work. Just had to correct Reggie on that one. It does have to be a specific size hard drive (inches that is), but you can find them, like I said, I got mine at Staples.

Catty1
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
The client does not have the discs. I think the guy who put this together for her wasn't above-board. He has disappeared in Toronto somewhere (I was going to email him, but no go).

She might as well stay with Windows.

The weird thing is when the computer boots up, it starts with that Mac musical chord! Then boots into Windows.

Will call my local Mac store soon...and my sweetie's Partition Magic CD is stuck in the drive..."Program bad configuration...press any key"...that does nothing and the CD stays in there.

On to the manual and the use of my Philips screwdriver!

Thanks!

Puckstop31
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
IIRC, with Boot Camp the Windows install is not a file, it partitions the drive and uses one for Windows and one for Mac. Parallels is the VM solution for Mac.

When my Mac clients need Windows, I try to get them to use Parallels. MUCH easier.

Good Luck!

Hellow
05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Just had to correct Reggie on that one. It does have to be a specific size hard drive (inches that is), but you can find them, like I said, I got mine at Staples.

Macs use specially-designed hard drives to fit within the space requirements for the computers they go into.

Heh.

Catty1
05-29-2009, 07:46 PM
:rolleyes:

It turned out to need nothing more than a new keyboard!!!!

The very slim keyboard she had had sticky keys; there is a 4 year old in the house. So, I DID have a hunch, but no extra keyboard. :p

Because the Mac store, Westworld, is in the city (thanks, Evan, for the free checkup!) and I am not, I left 3 messages for the client. I didn't want to buy a new keyboard without her say-so as she doesn't have a great income. I called 5 times when I was still in the city and her phone was off - so I left messages and the phone # and location of the store so she could go get the keyboard herself (the store is also keeping the iMac there til Monday).

I hope I hear from her! But I couldn't keep hanging around the city and wondering where she was....

Thanks, all!