PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin and Dr. Sova

neko1
09-27-2002, 02:04 PM
I took Pumpkin to the vet today for her annual shots. She's now at 7.8 pounds, that's a pound down from last year! Science diet light really works. She was such a naughty girl, she was embarassing me in front of my boss! She would not let him touch her. She didn't try to bite or hiss but she swatted the heck out of him! I was holding on to her for dear life cause she was flying all around the table. She's never been this bad before, usually she's just so scared that she backs away, but today she defending herself. When we returned home she jumped out of the carrier, ran under the couch and I didn't see her again for over an hour. Then when she came out, she swatted at my abyssinian for no reason!!
What a naughty kitty!!

Cataholic
09-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Pumpkin, you are a very naughty (but funny) kitty! Congrats on your weight loss, you skinny minny! Funny, my cats are on SD light, and I just don't notice any weight loss.

My cats also swipe out without reason at the other cats when they return from the vet! So funny:D

Logan
09-27-2002, 02:50 PM
LOL!! I'm glad she was ok and had a weight loss if that's what you wanted!! Both of my cats turn into Jello, literally, at the vet's office!

Mimi went this morning. I couldn't find my cat carrier anywhere, and for a minute, couldn't find Mimi anywhere!! Got Lilly Golden Retriever in the car and took one last look, and there Mimi was, so I snatched her up and put her in the car without a carrier! She came right to me at the vet's office. She was nestled up beside Lilly in the back of the Jeep!! LOL!! They were able to give me a carrier, which she proceeded to go to the very back of and stay there until we literally drug her out of it!!!

We had a good report too, and unlike your Pumpkin, Mimi had gained a pound....not a bad thing at all for her. She is a whopping 7 pounds at this visit!! :D But at 13 years old, I am pleased with the good report we got.

Hugs to Pumpkin, who was just probably playing "tough guy". :p

neko1
09-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Both myself and my abyssinian have forgiven her for her desire to beat everyone up. So sweet and innocent on the outside and a tough girl on the inside, but I love her to pieces!!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-28-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry that Pumpkin was so nasty at the vet. My cats are so scared that they are angels. They are also on a lite formula dry cat food but I haven't noticed any weight difference. Usually when one of my cats come home from the vets the other two will sniff them and sometimes even hiss at them because they smell like the vets. :p

wayne0214
09-29-2002, 05:16 AM
Good for pumpkin, at least everyone knows that she is up to par. Fortunately, none of my cats, whether past or present ever lashed out at the vets. I think that the technicians are responsible for how a pet is treated, and whether they like to visit the vet or not. Most all of them are conscientious (young women) who handles and cuddles my cats in the most caring manner. Some of the furkids were a bit fearful but otherwise they all co-operated with the program.

...........wayne

neko1
09-29-2002, 08:07 AM
I agree (I am a technician). It's so funny how differently some animals will act around us as opposed to the doctors. I was playing with a dog in the exam room once and as soon as the doctor walked in, the dog just turned! Animals definately like us better than the doctors!:D

Edwina's Secretary
09-30-2002, 01:26 PM
I think that the technicians are responsible for how a pet is treated, and whether they like to visit the vet or not.

I wish that were true! All the technicians at both clinics we have taken Edwina to have been wonderful -- sweet, gentle and caring. Edwina on the other hand has been a MONSTER! Her performance begins before we even get to the door and involves hissing, growling and just general awfulness. She bit my husband last time and that was during her good behavior part of the visit!

It is that evil twin of hers perhaps?????

tatsxxx11
09-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Awww, poor Pumpkin! Who can blame a kitty! In my nursing career I've been witness to how incredibly frightened humans, especially children, can be. And that's despite the fact we can explain, reason with them, etc.! On can only imagine the "terrors" that are running through the mind of a dog or cat. Of course I agree completely that a kind, calm, reassuring approach by the "medical team" can do wonders to calm nerves and ease the situation. I hate when I see vets, groomers confront a frightened animal, espeically cats, with force, grabbing and pulling their scruff, talking sternly, forcing them down on the table. I have found that while dogs may become more submissive with a stern word, (not that this should be done) this approach goes nowhere with kitties and often makes the situation much worse! I prefer the "therapeutic, 'can we talk' approach!";) And I agree with you Neko...patients, animal or human, always respond better to the nurses, techs!! On the lighter side, I'm so happy that Pumpkin is doing so good on her lite diet!!! Good job, Pumpkin!!

neko1
09-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Definately... cats hate to be pinned down and the more force you do it with the more agitated they become. Sometimes holding the scruff is the best way (so you, the tech or the Dr. doesn't get bit). But I always tell the kitties that they are good (even when they're not). It's not nice to be mean to a frightened animal.