PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with old litterboxes???

Catty1
05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Just wondering...I got my cats a hooded one, and the other one is in good condition except for stains.

I would even grow radishes in it if I thought it was ok. Or, recycle it if there was something that would take the stains right out (or fade them a bunch).

Any ideas???

Thanks!:)

Laura's Babies
05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I have always just thrown mine away but why not use them for flower containers? I like that idea!

moosmom
05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I scrub them clean and donate them to shelters.

Catty1
05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Donna, WHAT do you scrub them with? I have Vim and even Clorox powder with bleach.

Elbow grease is plentiful...just need ingredients!

Thanks.:)

moosmom
05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I scrub them with Chlorox Green. If I don't have that, I'll use distilled white vinegar, or Nature's Miracle. I let them air dry.

MoonandBean
05-23-2009, 03:56 PM
That's great Donna! I just sold one at a yard sale for $1.00 :)
Then, I spent the dollar on 2 stuffed animals for Sunny to destroy :)

kitten645
05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I usually freecycle mine but I'm keeping the next one to plant and herb garden. Are the stains inside or out? I would assume in...if it's covered in dirt anyway..problem solved!:p

kb2yjx
05-24-2009, 08:24 AM
We have 11 litterboxes, and this is one question that I have never considered!!! However, I would definitely clean them with bleach and rinse well, then off to the shelter!!!

Catty1
05-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Well, I poured in enough straight vinegar (not distilled) to cover the stains.

Later I added baking soda....it fizzed like mad!

Then I took it to the bathtub - sprayed Fantastik on it and left it for a while. Then I got the Comet with bleach, a plastic scrubbie...then switched to an SOS pad, and it's WHITE again! :D

USE RUBBER GLOVES!

Thanks, everyone!:)

catmandu
05-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I soak them with bleach and hot water , let them soak for a few days , put an old towel in and presto , I have a bed for a Porch Cat , inside a cardboard box in the Winter.:D:D
A simple way for the Porchies:love::love: to have a place thats soft and warm!!!:love::love:

Pinot's Mom
05-26-2009, 08:43 AM
We clean them out and my husband uses them for soil when he's working on the deck planters. He mixes the blend of soils and fertilizers he needs and carries it up to the deck with a small shovel. We haven't had as many as some of you, though!

sirrahbed
05-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Never gave this much thought! I know they go out to hubby in the garage and at least one of them is used for oil changes:D There is also one with assorted screws and tools, pencils, junk, etc. In this house, they are garage accessories.

GILL
05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I agree a good cleaning with bleach, then vinegar. We then let them set on the deck for a week or so, to sun bleach. They can be used for almost any thing, planters, or donate to a shelter.

treybabe
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
We clean ours out good and usually toss them. Using them for something else has never occurred to me although I think it could work for some things.

Catlady711
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I've done various things with my old boxes. Some I cleaned up best I could and sold at garage sales. One I use to empty my firepit ashes into for transport, and one I use to hold water for scrubbing the deck.