PDA

View Full Version : Called the vet....

*LabLoverKEB*
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I am putting this in dog general, because it will most likely get more feedback.

My yellow Lab, Rita, who is three years old, has a urinating issue. When she is asleep, of even just relaxed, she urinates. In the house, on her bed/pillow, when she is laying on the hardwood floors. This has been going on and off for about two or so months. So today, my mom finally called Dr. Apple, Sadie and Rita's veterinarian. I looked up symptoms of diabetes in dogs, and she has 2 or 3 of the symptoms. I am really worried that she might have diabetes. :(:( This will require constant insulin shots and stuff.

Please send out your amazing PT prayers for my dear, sweet Rita Lynn. I am one worried mother.:(

Karen
05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Prayers on the way for sweet Rita.

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I hope what is ailing Rita is easily fixed. I will keep you and Rita in my thoughts.

happylabs
05-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, I can sympathize with her. At 48 after having 2 kids I sometimes have this problem. I hope it is not serious.

chocolatepuppy
05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
My Layla started doing that just before she was spayed. She has Urinary Incontinence. She takes Diethylstilb once a week and she is fine. There are other meds for this also, didn't work for her.
Hopefully Rita has something similar, not Diabetes.

Zippy
05-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Prayers on the way for your Beautiful Rita

Moesha
05-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I hope your doggy doesn't have diabetes. I'm not familiar with diabetes in dogs, but I do have a diabetic cat. Although the symptom you've described, I haven't heard being a symptom for cats either. Does she seem to drink an excessive amount? I just wanted to say that even if you do have to give the shots, they really aren't that bad. My cat never minded them, in fact he would come and let me know when it was time for his shot. That was mostly because he knew he got wet food after wards. Once you get used to giving them which just takes a day or two, you and Rita will be fine with them. It may also be that a change in diet could reduce or eliminate the need for insulin. My cat's diabetes is controlled by his diet now. Again, I'm not familiar with canine diabetes, but I just wanted to let you know even though you are very concerned now, diabetes is a very manageable and treatable condition. Keep us updated.

Spiritwind
05-23-2009, 08:22 PM
My smooth Collie girl, Paris has this issue... and honestly we have never really been able to find a reason.

She was probably around 3yrs old when it first started (she'll be 5yrs old this sept)...But at this point in time she would leak urine when she was just walking around the house. If she was relaxed or sleeping she would do it worse.

Took her to the vet, did a UA, EVERYTHING showed up normal. Put her on antibiotics just in case, but they did no good. It would come and go. Took her back, this time we did a urine culture and again that came back perfectly normal. Bloodwork normal... everything was normal.

She is NOT spayed, which is even weirder, since spayed bitches tend to have this issue more often.

Good luck.. hopefully you will get some answers. Never got any real answers on Paris, other than possible weak bladder muscles, and I could have put her on DES or Prion to control it, buts not something that happens 24/7 so, so far I haven't done meds for it.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your helpful replies! I really appreciate it!:)

So Dr. Apple called my mom back, and said that he doesn't *think* it could be diabetes- thank GOODNESS!!! He said to get a urine sample, and he'll test the urine and we'll go from there!

Thanks again everyone!:love:

Freedom
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Best wishes for an easy solution to Rita's incontinence issue.

Let us know when you have info! (You didn't say WHEN you are going to the vet, so I don't know when to check back in this thread.)

luvofallhorses
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Poor Rita. :( I will pray it's nothing please keep us posted.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks you two.:)

We are going to the vet once we get the urine sample.:)

Queen of Poop
05-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Do all the testing to rule out anything bad, but it is probably incontinence as mentioned here. My Sasha has it. It is getting worse. There is medication to correct the problem.

Prayers that the vet can fix up your pupper quickly, I know my Sasha is very embarrassed over it as I imagine any girl dog would be.

chocolatepuppy
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Any news on Rita?