PDA

View Full Version : Pet food pantry

IRescue452
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Apparently somebody in the area has started a pet food pantry for pet owners in need. I just found out today and thought it was interesting. Of course I still think in some situations that people need to find new homes for their pets. I can't imagine not being able to feed my own. If push came to shove you could recycle some cans or something and there would be $10 or $20 for pet food. But I suppose they can be added to the beneficiaries of my pet supply rummage sale this summer. http://www.fvhungrypetspantry.org

pomtzu
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I think it's a great idea. Maybe if more communities did this, fewer pets would be given up by owners in a financial bind.

Freedom
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Wonderful idea.

Locally, a student collected loads of pet food and donated it to our food pantry -- the food pantry set up for humans.

Sigh.

The Administration said that they are ONLY for humans, not for pets, so they had their own staff take all the pet food. :rolleyes:

pomtzu
05-22-2009, 06:51 AM
The Administration said that they are ONLY for humans, not for pets, so they had their own staff take all the pet food. :rolleyes:

That's awful! At least they could have donated it to the SPCA or some rescue group.

Here, but usually only around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, the SPCA sets up boxes in different locations to take pet food donations. They really should leave them up year round, especially now with the economy the way it is.

Laura's Babies
05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I am impressed with them. I checked out their web sight you provided and it is really nice! Did you see those bags you get for a $30 donation? NICE!

IRescue452
05-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes, I need several of those bags ;)

Medusa
05-23-2009, 06:01 AM
I think it's a great idea. Maybe if more communities did this, fewer pets would be given up by owners in a financial bind.

I totally agree. We never know when financial problems may strike and I've been reading too many accounts lately of people abandoning their pets because they feel they can no longer afford them. This would definitely have helped me several years ago had I known of this service.