PDA

View Full Version : can all you New yorkers help me with a competition please..

carole
05-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I am entering a competition for a trip to New York for my son,we have to put names to five landmarks around New York, i think i have them all except two,just want to ask the cafe in friends was named after central park is that right? and King Kong is to do with the empire state building?those are the ones i think i have right, now can you identify these two places for me, would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

sorry i tried posting the pics but it said invalid files, if you go to www.classichits.co.nz look under competitions, it is the simon spire competition, and then you follow the links for the pictures,i know it is a lot to ask and i appreciate anyone who has the time and wants to do it, thanks.:):love:

The three i think i have are the statue of liberty, the empire state building, and central park, the other two i have no idea.,

davidpizzica
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Carole, I hope this helps. The cafe in "Friends is called the "Central Perk" after central park, and King Kong climbed the Empire State building in the last scene of the movie "King Kong".

Prairie Purrs
05-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not a New Yorker, but I believe the boat is the Staten Island Ferry. And a bit of googling suggests that the last building (with the "dinosaurs" banner) is the American Museum of Natural History.

Moesha
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Central Park, American Museum of Natural History. Here's a link with a very similiar picture on it. (http://manhattan.about.com/od/artsandculture/a/nyhistorymuseum.htm)

jenluckenbach
05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Central Park, American Museum of Natural History. Here's a link with a very similiar picture on it. (http://manhattan.about.com/od/artsandculture/a/nyhistorymuseum.htm)

YUP ! What she said!

Catherinedana
05-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the trip down NY memory lane. I was born in Brooklyn, lived there until I got married (the first time. . . :-0 ) then moved to Staten Island for about 4 years until I moved to Florida 15 years ago. I've only been back twice and the last visit was about 12 years ago. Time does fly!!:eek:

carole
05-20-2009, 10:44 PM
A huge thanks to everyone who posted, i now will be in with a chance, i won't tell my son i have entered him,now just think what a great surprise it would be if he won it, i am quite lucky with radio comps and the like so you never know, here's hoping, i don't even know who the singer simon is, but just want the trip to New York for him lol.:D

Again THANKS cheers everyone.:):love: i knew i could count on you guys to help.:)

davidpizzica
05-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Sis, if you win and you're flying over Pittsburgh, look down and give me a wave!

carole
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
David i put it in my son's name so the prize will be his if i win, but yeah sure bro i will tell him to give you a wave lol.:love:

GILL
05-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry I just saw this thread,
Moesha nailed it. I grew up only 14 miles from the city, in New Jersey and I still live here just moved 50 miles west (I can be there in less then 1 hour), I work 8 miles from the city. I have been to all those places countless times.
I hope that you and your son win. If you do give us a shout.
By the way many (40+) years ago I had a pen pal in New zealand.