PDA

View Full Version : Thursday #317 - Remember!

RICHARD
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Since it is Memorial Day Weekend let's keep it low key and post little stories of all the people that need to be recognized???

I did mix up a batch of bloody marys for a p.m. cocktail-if anyone is interested?

DONE?

Grace
05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
A bit of history about Memorial Day. (http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html)

I remember when I was a kid it was often called Decoration Day. And it was always observed on May 30th, no matter the day of the week.

Please pour me one of those drinks, Richard.

RICHARD
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Grace,

Y ou got it!

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
A Bloody Mary is always a good thing...hold the horseradish if that's in your recipe, please, and NO FUNNY STUFF, ORC!

As far as the Memorial Day theme, we have so many to remember and thank from the bottom of our souls. Our serving military, past and present, from all over the world, from wherever we hale, deserve our thanks, praise, and the gift of God's grace.

This is one American Military Brat that thanks you all for your service, in some cases your life, and forever your devotion.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Happy Memorial Day. :love:

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Amen to that. THANK YOU! to all who have given their lives for us and are currently risking their lives now. :(

I remember when LH was called to active duty not to long ago. My daughter was a year and a half and another 2 years later her little brother was born and LH had to drive down from NY to be there. Axel got an official Army Brat Certificate and the folks in LH's unit sent him a little camouflage onesie and some other stuff. :)

May I have one of those drinks too please?

lvpets2002
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
:) You know I had forgot.. It was called Decoration Day.. Hey great History notice & thanks grace.. Hey Richard lets me start with a LIT please.. Orc wants to know when are we starting the Grill up?? :D
A bit of history about Memorial Day. (http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html)

I remember when I was a kid it was often called Decoration Day. And it was always observed on May 30th, no matter the day of the week.

Please pour me one of those drinks, Richard.

aTailOf2Kitties
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
pour me a stiff one, Orc! My favorite alternative music station (the only one in Memphis) went ***poof*** and was replaced with boring old ESPN sports radio. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I remember my parents. I wouldn't be here without them. One of my favorite pictures of Dad is of him in his Army uniform.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who are serving and have served in our armed services. :love:

Karen
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
We all owe a debt of gratitude both to previous generations, and those who have served and are currently serving in the military.

And as it is also graduation time, let us remember teachers who helped us and others along the way.

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Morning everyone! How about some fruit salad this morning and muffins. Hey Orc, are you allowed to make coffee? Or should I do it?

Pinot's Mom
05-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I hope you didn't drink Orc's coffee! It makes hair grow on your chest!

I had a bagel, but the fruit salad sounds good!:)

momoffuzzyfaces
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Fruit salad and muffins sound just the thing!!!

Just got back from putting flowers out at the National Cemetery here for Dad. The place sure looks nice with all the flags out. Just wish none of our loved ones had to be there. :love:

Sending positive thoughts for all the HS and College grads too. They face lots of challenges that I never had to when I was their age. :love:

cassiesmom
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Goodness, my grandmother used to call it Decoration Day. I was just thinking about this yesterday at work. Everyone was buzzing at lunch about traveling or doing house work (painting, cleaning, repairing, that sort of thing) because of the 3-day weekend. No mention of putting out a flag or going to a parade. I did my graduate nursing clinical rotations at the V.A. and I got way more out of it than I ever put in. It was a privilege to be a student with the veterans there.

On a completely different note - It has been a lovely, sunny, 75-degree day in Chicago today - could I please have iced tea?

Edwina's Secretary
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Anybody able to explain why it was called Decoration Day????

blue
05-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Anybody able to explain why it was called Decoration Day????

Why not just explain the reason instead of trolling?

I have no idea and would like to know.

If I had to guess it would have to do with Decorating our Veterans with medals they earned.

blue
05-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Being a toll and trolling are different. One catches fish and the other scares the fish.

I just need some jalapeneos for my martini.

Karen
05-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Decoration Day was a name prevalent in the South in the years after the Civil War. Widows, children and survivors would go to decorate the graves of those killed in the war, hence the name "Decoration" Day. It was known as Memorial Day in the North, and was expanded to be a day of remembrance for not only the war dead, but all our forebears and loved ones.

I went with Dad on Friday, and we planted flowers at my mother's grave, my brother and sister who died as infants, my grandparents and his grandparents (my great-grands), and several beloved (great) aunts and uncles.

KYS
05-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I to can't say enough and feel much gratitude for our past and present
military service men and woman.
I have a metal American flag up year round in the front of my house.
Up goes the real flag for this weekend.
Thanks for the explanation of Decoration Day.

Will be BBQ hot-dogs and fruit salad sounds great. :)

gini
05-25-2009, 11:48 AM
We owe so much to so many for sacrificing their lives for our freedom.

May we always be grateful and never, ever forget!

Richard's Bloody Marys.............hmmm, if you want to keep your socks on, then don't have one - but they sure are good.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

(gini, where ARE your socks? :eek:)

Just would like a cherry limeade to kick of the summer season. :D

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM
We owe so much to so many for sacrificing their lives for our freedom.

May we always be grateful and never, ever forget!

Richard's Bloody Marys............./mmm, if you want to keep your socks on, then don't have one - but they sure are good.

LOL, Socks, nylons....who cares?;)

I got my new comp today, so I can fill all your drink needs ASAP!

Thanks to all of you who remembered!

BMs, Cherry Limeade and all the things that make you all happy!

DONE!