PDA

View Full Version : Proud daughter!

catnapper
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
My mom has been unemployed for a few months, and found out yesterday that she could go back to school for free if she was on unemployment. She thought, "why not?" and went to the local community college and signed up for a class!

The funny thing? Mom has NEVER used a computer before. She said it took her an hour to just type her name and address in! :D She said that if it weren't for a young girl (probably in her 20's, but young to mom ;)) that she wouldn't have ever gotten it done. Then they sent her to another computer to take placement tests, which took another long time, and she said she knows she placed porrly just because the tests were timed and she couldn't operate the computer, let alone answer the questions. Poor mommy! I can only imagine how lost she felt.

The ironic thing? She signed up for an internet class! :eek: She said she'll just go to my brother's for the work, because she knows he'll help her navigate through. I'm kinda jealous, because I'd love to be the one who helps mom get through college!

So.... at 55+ years old, mom finally gets to go to school like she wanted to do when she graduated high school. But she had to go to work to support my grandmom since grandpop got sick in her senior year of highschool.

I couldn't be prouder of how brave mom is being. I think she's in shock that she actually signed up!

RedHedd
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Your mom rocks and I think she'll be surprised to see many others her age there. I've gone back to school several times now - most recently last year to take some archeology classes just for fun

K9karen
05-18-2009, 11:27 PM
God Bless Her Ever Loving Heart!!! He**, I can't even muster the strength or energy to go to night classes 2x a week for 2 hours to perfect Spanish. I give your mom oodles of credit! What a great woman!!! And I'm 55+ too...a youngster, if you don't mind! :p
Good Luck Catnapper's Mom!

Medusa
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM
That is absolutely fabulous! Give her an "atta girl" for me! :)