PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour suspected in attack on dog (2 stories) UPDATE #14

Catty1
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I wonder IF the dog was barking 24/7? Still, this bonzo did not try to solve the problem properly. Poor Bo!:(

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/05/15/tp-cgy-beau-dog-attack.jpg
Beau's owner, Matthew Pacaud, said the dog lost at least four intact teeth and swallowed others that broke off during an attack. (CBC)

Neighbours' quarrel suspected in attack on dog
Last Updated: Friday, May 15, 2009 | 4:25 PM MT
CBC News

The RCMP, SPCA and local authorities are investigating a brutal attack on a dog that was hit so hard he swallowed some of his own teeth that were broken in the assault.

Matthew Pacaud, who lives on an acreage in the Municipal District of Foothills, southwest of Calgary, said he came home on Tuesday but his dog, Beau, did not meet him at the front gate as usual.

"When I walked up to the front door I noticed blood, feces, teeth laying everywhere," Pacaud told CBC News on Thursday.

Beau, a four-year-old Great Pyrenees, was lying in his doghouse whimpering. Pacaud said he found four intact teeth on the ground, as well as blood near the front door.
Angry telephone message

Pacaud said the veterinarian told him Beau's injuries were the result of being struck by a blunt object. He also said the dog is missing more than four teeth.

"When we quickly looked, there's teeth that's broken off as well that the dog swallowed," said Pacaud, a carpentry student who lives at the acreage with his mother.

Pacaud, who owns two other dogs, said he received an angry message on his answering machine on Tuesday morning from one of his neighbours.

"It's half past 10. Your f---ing dog's been barking for about three hours, you inconsiderate horrible peasant," said a man said in the message that was played for CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/05/15/tp-cgy-matthew-picaud.jpg
Matthew Pacaud speaks to a protective services officer from the Municipal District of Foothills on Thursday.
(CBC)

Constant barking at all hours of the day from Pacaud's property has been a problem for years, the neighbour told CBC News on Friday. He declined to give his name.

He said he's tried to reason with Pacaud for years, even offering to buy a special collar for the dogs that deters barking.

The neighbour said he went to Pacaud's house to talk to him on Tuesday morning, but no one was home. The man said Beau attacked him and so he defended himself with the walking cane that he uses for a chronic back condition.

The neighbour said the barking has gotten so bad, he's looking for a new place to live with his wife and two sons.

Okotoks RCMP confirmed that they're reviewing the case with the SPCA and the Crown prosecutor and considering several possible charges, including trespassing and other Criminal Code offences.

A protective services officer from the M.D. of Foothills also interviewed Pacaud on Thursday.

Beau was undergoing surgery and x-rays on Friday.
With files from Tara Fedun, Bryan Labby

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Cruelty+charges+laid+after+injured+dispute/1602352/story.html

Cruelty charges to be laid after dog injured in dispute

By Deborah Tetley, Calgary HeraldMay 16, 2009

Okotoks Mounties say animal cruelty charges are pending after a neighbour dispute over a barking dog led to the canine being bashed on the muzzle and losing several teeth.

But the neighbour, who admits hitting Bo, a four-year-old Great Pyrenees, over the head with a cane, says he was acting in self-defence.

When Bo's owner, Matthew Pacaud, arrived home to his mother's acreage in Okotoks Tuesday night, the dog wasn't there to greet him as usual.

Then Pacaud noticed broken teeth, blood splatters and feces on the doorstep. The gruesome discovery prompted him to search for Bo, who he found hiding in the garage. When Pacaud, 25, noticed blood around the dog's mouth, he peeked inside.

"I pulled up his lip and all the teeth on the top and front of his mouth were gone and he was bleeding.Several teeth along the bottom gum were broken. The left side of his face is pretty mangled up."

At first Pacaud thought Bo had been in an accident.

But then he went inside and listened to a phone message from his neighbour.

"It's half past 10, your f------dog has been barking, you inconsiderate, horrible peasants," is the voice-mail message.

RCMP Const. Bryan O'Rourke said several charges, including injuring an animal and trespassing, are pending against the neighbour.

"Animal cruelty charges are pending,"O'Rourke said Friday, adding officers found blood, feces and several teeth on Pacaud's property.

RCMP decided to charge the neighbour after interviewing him Tuesday night.

"This is a man who didn't go through proper avenues when dealing with a noisy neighbour," O'Rourke said. "The guy lost his temper."

Bo spent Friday undergoing surgery to remove three broken teeth, bring the total number of lost teeth to eight.

Pacaud said the vet was shocked by Bo's injuries.

"The vet figures he was hit with a piece of steel pipe, or the blunt side of an axe," he said.

"He said it must have been an overhand swing coming down on the top of his muzzle to knock the teeth out the way it did."

But the neighbour, Nigel Warren, says he hit the dog with his walking stick in self-defence.

The man said he went to Pacaud's house Tuesday morning to complain about "incessant" barking after being awoken at 6:15 a. m.

"It's bedtime and we hear bark, bark, bark,"Warren said. "It's morning time, bark, bark, bark. The dogs bellow all day long. It's ruining our lives."

The 64-year-old said when no one answered, he tried to leave and became terrified by Bo, who is 68 kilograms.

"I thought the dog was going to bite my butt.He's massive with huge jaws,"said Warren. "I needed to defend myself so I took my walking stick and whacked him in the mouth and then I got out of there."

He saw teeth fly out of the dog's mouth, Warren said.

"When I hit him, the stick caught in his mouth, so I pulled the stick and his teeth came out. It was a tug of war. I wanted my stick and he wanted me."

Bo underwent surgery Friday to have several broken teeth removed, Pacaud said, adding the dog is traumatized by the incident.

"He cries when you touch him and he's really timid, and cowering."

Pacaud, who says he has res-cued many animals over the years--including abandoned ducks on Deerfoot Trail and orphaned hawks he takes to sanctuaries--is looking for justice for his dog.

"I just can't let this go and let somebody get away with something like this,"he said. "He's my best friend and someone hurt him."

Warren said the situation spiralled out of control.

"I did not go there with every intent on whacking the teeth out of a dog.

"I was protecting myself from the surging jaws of a large dog."

[email protected]
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Taz_Zoee
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
:mad::(Can't type through tears.

DJFyrewolf36
05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Surging jaws of a large dog?!? Give me a friggen break. I've dealt with agressive dogs waaaay bigger than 68lbs and I in no way felt it nessicary to strike a dog.
There is absolutely no way that a single hit from a stick could cause THAT much damage. :mad: I think the guy needs to be thrown in jail for the rest of his miserable life.

Daisy and Delilah
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
OMG!!!!! This story has made me so angry and so sad, I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I would have to inflict the same punishment on the person that did this to my beloved pet. So the dog may have been barking. Why didn't this moronic idiot call authorities to take care of the situation humanely?

I feel so sorry for this poor doggie and his owner. Isn't this breed pretty docile? If the dog acted angry, he sensed that the man was a jerk.

I can't go on anymore with this, I have to calm down.:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Medusa
05-17-2009, 06:23 AM
That poor dog. How will he ever trust anyone again? :(

Desert Arabian
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Surging jaws of a large dog?!? Give me a friggen break. I've dealt with agressive dogs waaaay bigger than 68lbs and I in no way felt it nessicary to strike a dog.
There is absolutely no way that a single hit from a stick could cause THAT much damage. :mad: I think the guy needs to be thrown in jail for the rest of his miserable life.

The dog does not weigh 68 pounds, the dog weighs 149 pounds (68 kilograms), that is a very big dog for an elderly man to have to deal with. Of course, I do not think he should have beat the dog, but I can definitely put my feet in his shoes. I cannot stand people who let their dogs bark constantly without making an effort to stop it. I am currently dealing with two neighbors who let their dogs bark freely and I would love to punch them in the face. No way could I take my anger out on the dogs, they don't know any better. We were not there, we do not know the full story.... who knows, maybe the dog did try to hurt the neighbor since he was an unfamiliar person in the dog's territory. I sure hope that pup recovers quickly and does not suffer long-term due to trauma. :(

elizabethann
05-19-2009, 08:22 AM
What a freaking coward! I hope the guy gets thrown in the slammer and I hope he and his family move.

My neighbor hates Fenway. He barks everytime she comes home. I hear her say shut up all the time. If she every laid a hand on him, I'd be typing this from jail.

Taz_Zoee
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Zoee barks all the time. But I would hope to God none of my neighbors would beat the crap out of her for it. In fact none of our neighbors have even complained about her barking. Although we are looking into a remedy for it.

lvpets2002
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
:( OMG this is so Sad & Horrible.. Now I have been around several Great Pyrenees & never noticed constant barking.. Also these dogs are the most layed back & loving dogs known.. I cannot justify this person's thinking of to attack this dog with a walking cane.. You know this person had to have hit the dog several times to have knocked this baby's teeth out.. How so Cruel & Disgusting.. I think they need to beat this guy over the head with his own cane.. Sorry Asssss Batrrrrrddd.. Rott in Helllllll..:mad:

Medusa
05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
:( OMG this is so Sad & Horrible.. Now I have been around several Great Pyrenees & never noticed constant barking.. Also these dogs are the most layed back & loving dogs known.. I cannot justify this person's thinking of to attach this dog with a walking cane.. You know this person had to have hit the dog several times to have knocked this baby's teeth out.. How so Cruel & Disgusting.. I think they need to beat this guy over the head with his own cane.. Sorry Asssss Batrrrrrddd.. Rott in Helllllll..:mad:

A neighbor over the fence has a LOUD barking dog. It barks all day and all night. I feel badly for the dog. I doubt that he gets any attention at all. It's irritating, to say the least, but I would NEVER hurt that animal.

lvpets2002
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
:) Oh yes I have a neighbor accross the street from me that has german shepards that bark non-stop.. I would not dare hurt the babies.. Now what I have done in the past is throw some dry dog food over the fence & make sure it scatters thru out the yard & the dogs will be too busy eating all the bits that they will forget about barking.. Then by the time they finish they have forgot what they was barking at.. Well it works for a while..:D
A neighbor over the fence has a LOUD barking dog. It barks all day and all night. I feel badly for the dog. I doubt that he gets any attention at all. It's irritating, to say the least, but I would NEVER hurt that animal.

Casper
05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I will never understand how people can stoop so low...
That picture of Beau induced a bit of LES... I know a ton of people with Pyrenees and they are all absolutely fantastic dogs.

This reminded me of an event that occurred quite a few years ago around here...
My cousin has a Border Collie (one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met) that once got his jaw broken and half of his teeth knocked out by a pinhead-of-a-neighbor. The reason? A dispute on whose property line ended where and the others began.

Cowards like that really need to learn how to solve their quarrels with the person, not their dog...

Catty1
05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/05/18/dog-attack-charges-animal-cruelty-alberta-neighbour.html

Neighbour charged with animal cruelty in dog attack
Last Updated: Monday, May 18, 2009 | 5:43 PM MT
CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/05/18/cgy-dog-attack-teeth.jpg
Beau's owner, Matthew Pacaud, said he found at least four of his dog's teeth on the ground. (CBC)

A southern Alberta man is facing a charge of animal cruelty in connection with an attack on his neighbour's dog.

Matthew Pacaud, who lives on an acreage in the Municipal District of Foothills, southwest of Calgary, said he found his dog Beau bloodied and missing several teeth last Tuesday.

As CBC News first reported last week, Beau's veterinarian said the four-year-old Great Pyrenees had been struck by a blunt object.

A neighbour had left an angry message on Pacaud's answering machine complaining about his dog's continuous barking.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/05/15/tp-cgy-beau-dog-attack.jpg
Beau underwent three hours of dental surgery on Friday and is expected to make a full recovery. (CBC)

The neighbour told CBC News that he went to Pacaud's house to talk to him about the longstanding problem but no one was home. Instead, Beau attacked him, so he defended himself with the walking cane he uses for a back condition, he said.

Nigel Warren, 62, has been charged with one count of injuring an animal under Section 445 of the Criminal Code, the Okotoks RCMP said Monday.

If convicted, Warren faces up to five years in prison. He's scheduled to appear in court in Okotoks on June 16.

"For neighbours to escalate to this is very unusual. I don't have many calls to this magnitude. Usually people use the proper avenues to resolve the situation," RCMP Const. Bryan O'Rourke said. "Either calling us before this happens, calling the [Municipal District] of Foothills, possibly writing letters to your representatives — those are all good options before escalating to something like this."

Beau underwent three hours of dental surgery on Friday and is expected to recover from his injuries.

Catty1
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Apparently another person knows this dog is not gentle...I hope the dog owner also gets taken to task.

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20090519/160_CGY_dog_attacked_090519.jpg
The dog is now recovering at home with owner Matthew Pacaud.

Accused dog attacker speaks

Updated: Tue May. 19 2009 18:42:04

ctvcalgary.ca

An Okotoks man is facing a criminal charge in connection with a dog attack.

Nigel Warren, 62, is facing one charge of Causing Injury to a Dog.

He is accused of hitting his neighbour's Great Pyrenees and smashing out four of the dog's teeth.

CTV spoke to Warren Tuesday afternoon. He says the dog attacked him.

"I wish somebody had been there to see me attacked by these massive jaws trying to jump up at me."

The dog is owned by Matthew Pacaud. He says he called his neighbour after receiving a phone message complaining about a barking dog.

"I said you've hit my dog. He was backed into a corner, there's blood and feces everywhere. He said, 'I'm not denying it' and I said I'm phoning the RCMP."

Pacaud says vet bills have totaled 15-hundred dollars so far and his dog isn't a problem animal.

But another neighbour told CTV that Pacaud's dog is a problem and is both aggressive and constantly barking.

If convicted, Warren faces a maximum of five years in prison.

He is expected to appear in court next month.

lvpets2002
05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
:love: I still say Great Pyrenees are not Aggresive dogs.. They are normaly so Loving & Layed Back.. So if this dog is Aggresive then its because of some types of abuse.. Oh yes you can see in the pics of how so mean this dog is.. Yow Right:rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
05-23-2009, 08:56 AM
My sister had a Great Pyrenees and the one she had was big as a horse, gentle as a kitten and was just the sweetiest thing you ever saw. The beauty of the one she had was inside and outside. Just the sweetiest soul you ever met!

That man put himself in that dogs territory, KNOWING the dog was there so he invited whatever happened to him. While a barking dog is annoying, there are other methods to deal with it other than the method he choose. He made some VERY bad choices and will just have to suffer the consequences of those choices. Let's hope that justice is swift!

Karen
05-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I feel the sorriest for the dog, who was obviously left outside by itself to be barking for three hours, or constantly barking as neighbors are claiming. It is not the dog's fault. It is the owner's fault and the neighbor's fault. And Great Pyrenees are wonderful dogs, but they are strong guardians of their flock - bred to protect their territory. You'd have to be pretty stupid to invade one's yard uninvited.

Daisy and Delilah
05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Candace, I'll bet the neighbor is one of those people as ignorant as the guy that beat the dog. You know how people will back people just to act like they are on that person's side? Blowhards, as I guess we could call these types. I don't put much faith in what he says.

I agree with Karen. It's the fault of the owner and the neighbor. It's a crying shame the poor dog had to take the punishment. He thinks barking is okay because nobody has trained him to not bark all the time. The owner is defending his baby much like I would. However, he needs to take responsibility as well. If he had trained the poor doggie, this probably wouldn't have happened.

I can imagine that the neighbor that beat the dog is regretful of going berserk at this point. Who knows? He might have just gotten angrier and continues to blow off steam to anyone that will listen. What a terrible situation.:(

Medusa
05-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Evryone is culpable in this situation. Dogs bark; that's what they do. But if they bark incessantly, it's the owner's responsibility to handle it. Why have a dog if you're going to keep it chained in the yard all day w/out proper attention and love? The neighbor may have had a legitimate complaint but to hit an animal for any reason is not the answer. Yes, it's a pain to go through the proper channels but I feel worse for the dog than anyone else. He didn't/doesn't know any better than what he was taught or, more likely in this case, just left to do. It's shameful all the way around and that dog is the biggest loser in all of it. Pity.

Catty1
05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Life/Neighbourliness+goes+both+ways/1612246/story.html

Neighbourliness goes both ways

Calgary Herald
May 20, 2009

There are no winners in the case of the Okotoks man charged with beating his neighbour's dog, but there is certainly a cautionary tale for those on both sides of the dispute.

Nigel Warren, 64, will be up on charges of injuring an animal when he goes to court June 16, after he bashed Bo, a Great Pyrenees, over the head with his cane. Bo lost eight teeth as a result of the beating.

Fed up with the dog's allegedly ceaseless barking, Warren went over to Matthew Pacaud's house last Tuesday to complain.

"It's bedtime and we hear bark, bark, bark. It's morning time, bark, bark, bark. The dogs bellow all day long. It's ruining our lives," Warren said later.

Finding nobody at home, Warren said he hit the dog with his cane in self-defence, afraid it would bite him.

Neighbourliness works both ways. Warren should have left the premises without touching the dog and waited until Pacaud returned to discuss the matter with him.

However, Pacaud should have shown some consideration for his neighbour and dealt with his dog's barking long before matters escalated to their current state.

Dog owners need to take note. Part of responsible pet ownership is ensuring your dog does not torment your neighbours with its behaviour, including barking. Few things are more annoying than the jarring notes of a dog's repetitive barking. Well, maybe there is one thing more annoying --an inconsiderate dog owner who allows it to go on.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Daisy and Delilah
05-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I really hope alot of people read this story and take notice to the outcome. Negligence is never good in any situation. People have to take responsibility.

The guy that beat poor Bo, will probably be sent to anger management classes and that's it.
I can't stop thinking of how hard he had to hit him to inflict that much damage. OMG!! It's making me sick!!:( :( :(

sasvermont
05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
We all know that dogs bark from time to time. What I don't understand is why owners think it's ok to allow their beloved pet to disturb neighbors for hours on end.

If the owner of this poor pupster was a responsible owner in the first place, he/they would have taken steps to quiet the dog. The neighbor doing the damage to the dog SHOULD BE BLAMED and punished FOR THE DAMAGE, but I think the dog owner's negligence needs to be addressed as well.

The poor dog. I have a neighbor with this breed of dog and yes, their dog barks when someone walks by the house. He does bark loudly and for as long as someone is passing by. He spends a fair amount of time outside, but is primarily an inside dog. As far as I know, no neighbor has ever complained.

I would have been on the phone to the local authorities every fifteen minutes if that dog lived next to me and barked for hours on end. I would never have harmed the dog. I suppose I would have asked the owner to quiet the dog before calling the authorities. I am not sure about that......

I wish dog AND cat owners were always responsible, but that is unrealistic, at best.

Here's hoping the dog's owner wakes up and keeps the dog inside and/or spends time with the dog so that it is not alone and barking. Maybe finding this pup a new home would benefit everyone.:confused: