PDA

View Full Version : Mould - Sick

king2005
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm sick from mould in my apt.. Don't worry I'm already looking at new places to get out ASAP.

But does anyone know what I can do in the meantime to help me feel better?
I'm going to the clinic on the weekend when I'm visiting my sister. I'm taking Sudifed & its not helping at all. Ok I've taken a LOT & it hasn't put a dent in my sinus pain.

ANy home tips are appreciated!! I'll try nearly anything to help as its hard to see with watery eyes from the pain/pressure.

Karen
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Get to a doctor! You may have a sinus infection and need antibiotics. Can you see the mold?

Daisy and Delilah
05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
If you can see the mold, try to wash it with some bleach water. Of course you might have to wait until you feel better. Once that happens, you may want to wipe down all surfaces while you're there.
I know it can make you real sick but I don't know alot about doctoring the illness. Best of luck with it.

catnapper
05-15-2009, 07:36 AM
I know allergies are horrific this time of year. I live on Advil Sinus right now. Do you have prescription allergy meds? A nasal spray is your best friend, but a PRESCRIPTION one, not something off the shelf because those are addictive.

Like Karen, I think it sounds like a sinus infection. A quick round of antibiotics will make you feel like a new person.

And how do you know its mold? Do you see it? If so, thats a bio hazzard and your landlord's legally responsible to take care of it. My sister in law has major mold issues right now and is fighting him to do something. In the meantime she bleaches the moldy places whenever she sees it reform.

king2005
05-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Karen I'll answer your question with catnapper's questions.

If you can see the mold, try to wash it with some bleach water. Of course you might have to wait until you feel better. Once that happens, you may want to wipe down all surfaces while you're there.
I called the Health Inspector & they told me NOT to touch it. It will become far more harmful if touched. A lesson I know now. I didn't wash it, but I did poke it in wonder as to what it was. Apparently touching it with anything causes it to release its spores & your pretty much guarenteed to breath them all in. This is why I'm more sick then usual :( opps

I know allergies are horrific this time of year. I live on Advil Sinus right now. Do you have prescription allergy meds? A nasal spray is your best friend, but a PRESCRIPTION one, not something off the shelf because those are addictive.
I'm usually fine this time of year. Its ragweed season I want to rip my sinues out or jump off a building (j/k)... but ya, I have no reactions to pollins at all. My allergy tests came up negative/non-reactive for pollon, trees & grasses. I'm just allergic to Ragweed & VERY allergic to mold. The spot they poked me for mold grew like mad. it was a VERY itchy spot about 3' in diamater & was taking over the other tested spots as time went on.

Last summer we were making pickles & Jordan was opening fresh garlic.. well one was rotten & when he oppened it a black cloud of mould went everywhere. I was sick for days, & started to react to it about 5 mins after. My eyes wattered & puffed up. I then felt ill & weak.. I was banished to the couch for the rest of the evening feeling like death was teasing me.

Like Karen, I think it sounds like a sinus infection. A quick round of antibiotics will make you feel like a new person.
oohhhh.. I hate antibiotics. I always get more infections from them & feel very ill for a week :( I'm going to the dr. regardless, but I'm going ot be very upset if it is a sinus infection :(

And how do you know its mold? Do you see it? If so, thats a bio hazzard and your landlord's legally responsible to take care of it. My sister in law has major mold issues right now and is fighting him to do something. In the meantime she bleaches the moldy places whenever she sees it reform.
Legally I can't touch it. My landlord isn't answering his phone. The government has been trying to get a hold of him & hes not returning their calls either.

Yes I can see it. Its black soggy nasty drippy stuff coming from the ceiling. When I was upstairs to turn the outside water on (under the main sink), ALL the wood under there was ROTTEN. We had a leak in the ceiling in our livingroom a few weeks ago (it wasn't pouring, just dripping). Nothing was done to our apt. & the tennant upstairs was told to fix it... I think he used tape.... oooo tape....

The reason I'm really mad about this & got the government involved is that the landlord is doing NOTHING about the squirrles living in the house!! They chewed a HUGE hole in the room beside the main floor's kitchen & they were chewing things in the walls, & storing things above the stove. I called my landlord the second I saw the gaping hole (after turning the outside water on.. WEEKS ago)... He said hes known about them for a while now... They are still there... Our lights in my livingroom don't turn on all the time... The place is now a fire hazard!!

Here is a list of people that are involved in helping me with my issue:
Health Inspector
Fire Department
Officer (hes with the health department)

The Officer is coming over on Tue at lunch time to look at my place. He said hes sure he's not suppose to go in, but he'll go in to inspect to help me as I'm ill.

Jordan is scratching & his breathing has been bothering him for a while. Digi & Cash are sneezing & scratching. I know its not fleas as I see none & they are on Advantage.

We will be breaking the lease & moving asap. Cash & the birds should be gone tonight (I hope). Digi is coming to Kingston with us to stay at my sisters for the long weekend. The turtles, Spiders & Fish have no choice but to stay in the apt for the long weekend. We plan to open more windows as soon as the birds are gone, I'll be moving Lilly & plants into the "pet room" & closing the door with the heat on low. This will keep the plants alive & all th eanimals away from the mould areas (3 prime locations throughout the house). The plants will be under a light so they'll filter the air 24/7 for the weekend, so the animals will have better air. I'll also put my air filter in there to help catch particles.

I'm out of time to type any more... I hope the above makes sence as I haven't reread it yet... :o

kokopup
05-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Black Mold is a fungus that is very toxic. If you have an infection from it you will most likely need a fungicide type of Med like Flagal. This can make you very ill by itself. I just went through 2 months of treatment for a nasal fungal infection and it is no fun. Try saline nasal spray in the mean time. This will help with your sinus problem. Do not use the steroid type of spray it will just make matters worst.

king2005
05-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Black Mold is a fungus that is very toxic. If you have an infection from
it you will most likely need a fungicide type of Med like Flagal. This can make you very ill by itself. I just went through 2 months of treatment
for a nasal fungal infection and it is no fun. Try saline nasal spray in the mean time. This will help with your sinus problem. Do not use the steroid type of spray it will just matters worst.

Wow I knew mold was bad but not that bad!!
I usually react poorly to meds (by I get sick off just about all of them). I'm really not looking ofrward to the Dr.s visit anymore... Of course I'm going, but I'm gonna make Jordan go too. I'm gonna email Digi's vet & see what they say... I'm hoping I can give them both childrens benadril(sp) or whatever that allergy med is thats ok for dogs, so I can prevent her & Cash from getting ill. Cash's new daddy (Cash's catsitter (a good friend of ours) wanted Cash REALLY bad as a pet & Cash JUST loves him to pieces, so we are allowing Jason to have Cash) will be taking Cash to the vet & making homemade food for him. So I don't need to worry about Cash for too long. But I will give a good portion of the allergy meds to Jason to help Cash.

Catlady711
05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the US they can condemn a place that's unfit to live in, although black mold is debateable in my state.

I know this from personal experience looking info up online because I have a TON of black mold in my basement (floors/walls). I used to try and clean it up, but the leaking down there is so bad it's not worth the effort anymore. The slightest rain and the water comes in. Just leaving the garden hose on (which leaks) can cause water to go in the basement.

Not saying it's damp down there or anything, but I've had mushrooms growing out of the cement floor before, and it didn't dry up down there until we were 2 months into a drought! *sigh*

I hope you are able to have legal action taken against the landlord to get things made right, or able to find a healthier place to live. Good luck.

king2005
05-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the US they can condemn a place that's unfit to live in, although black mold is debateable in my state.
They do the same here. They plan to shut it down & force the landlord to remove the apt. as its also illegal.

I know this from personal experience looking info up online because I have a TON of black mold in my basement (floors/walls). I used to try and clean it up, but the leaking down there is so bad it's not worth the effort anymore. The slightest rain and the water comes in. Just leaving the garden hose on (which leaks) can cause water to go in the basement.

Not saying it's damp down there or anything, but I've had mushrooms growing out of the cement floor before, and it didn't dry up down there until we were 2 months into a drought! *sigh*

I hope you are able to have legal action taken against the landlord to get things made right, or able to find a healthier place to live. Good luck.
Thats terrible!

I'll be moving out by force. The government will be shutting down the place. They are kinda... mad... Not at me thought. They told me to get out ASAP.. I'll be looking at a VERY nice place tomorrow morning :)

I don't like the 1300 rent, but its CLEAN & in a fantastic area!
I'm currently in a nice area too, but this individual house is a hazard to everyone :S