PDA

View Full Version : fresh corn...

beeniesmom
05-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok, crazy question...
I bought some ears of fresh corn and don't remember how long they need to boil before they are soft enough to eat.

lvpets2002
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
:) Oh wow its been a while since I boiled any corn ears.. I think about 15 min on high & maybe 30 min on med.. Ok some Corn in-putters needed here.. See I buy take home meals all the time.. :D

beeniesmom
05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I haven't bought any in about 2 years.
My mother in law made some last weekend and it made me want to make my own. So much better tasting than canned and they seem to be on sale now everywhere. I got 8 ears for 2 dollars at publix.

kokopup
05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Why not ask the Mother-in-law:confused::D

Daisy and Delilah
05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Carmen, I've always boiled them for 15 minutes. At least that's the way I like them. I guess you can either start them in the cold water or drop them in boiling water. I've done it both ways and it's delicious. No matter which way, just boil for 15. :)

Shelteez2
05-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I just drop them in boiling water for like 5 minutes... The color changes to a nice rich yellow and then they are done. :)

caseysmom
05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Wrapped in foil with a little butter and barbequed is my favorite method.

Willow Oak
05-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Throw them on the grill, off to the side, with the shucks still on, wrapped in tin foil if you like. Leave them there until you've finished with your potatoes -- likewise on the grill wapped in tin foil -- and your meat. You can't go wrong with this method, and they taste the best cooked this way.

caseysmom
05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Throw them on the grill, off to the side, with the shucks still on, wrapped in tin foil if you like. Leave them there until you've finished with your potatoes -- likewise on the grill wapped in tin foil -- and your meat. You can't go wrong with this method, and they taste the best cooked this way.

I've done it that way camping, its great. Do you remove the silk?

beeniesmom
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Why not ask the Mother-in-law:confused::D

I would but she is out of town and has her cell turned off. :)

cassiesmom
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Willow Oak

Originally Posted by Caseysmom

We do. Pull the husks almost all the way off, remove the silks and then pull the husks back up. I've read that you should immerse them in cold water for a few minutes before you grill them, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Elyse's mom's method for corn on the cob
Big pot of water
Couple shakes of salt from the salt shaker
Throw in a teaspoonful or two of sugar if you think the corn won't be sweet.
Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. When it boils, put in the ears of corn. When it comes back to a boil, shut the burner off and leave the pot on the burner. Remove from the water after 13-15 minutes (I have a gas stove, my mom has a glass cooktop so mine finish a little faster). Dress with butter, black pepper, and eat.

Willow Oak
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Yes. Remove shucks and silk and eat the corn right on the cob. It's so good that way you don't even need salt or butter -- especially if you use corn you picked yourself. Here in Alcorn County, Mississippi, corn grows like mosquitos. There is no shortage of home-grown fruits and vegetables.

Here I am picking up some okra at our local farmers' market -- homegrown only allowed to be sold!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/eulersequation/FarmerMarket.jpg

Karen
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
It depends, especially on how fresh they are, and how big. We always just got the water boiling, threw in the shucked corn, and when it "smells like corn" it's done! Never noticed how many minutes that took!

Seravieve
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
We've always boiled our ears of corn for 3 minutes. You have to bring the water to a rolling boil before adding the ears. Then 3 minutes and take em out!

If they longer, they get chewy.. My family has always liked it when they're cooked, but still crisp instead of chewy.

Medusa
05-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I just drop them in boiling water for like 5 minutes... The color changes to a nice rich yellow and then they are done. :)

Yes, it doesn't need to cook for long. That way it's nice and crisp.

beeniesmom
05-14-2009, 05:17 AM
I ended up putting them on the stove in cold water and waiting until they boiled. After 15 minutes of boiling, I turned the heat off and when we were ready to eat them, about 5 minutes later, I drained them. They were very crisp and delicious. Thanks everyone!