PDA

View Full Version : Banana Cream Pie, anyone?

Catty1
05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
My sweetie is tired of banana cream pies that are made with vanilla pudding and a few banana slices. We have checked my cookbooks, and the internet - and VERY few actually include bananas in the filling itself. ie, the recipes call for sliced bananas in the bottom of the pie plate.

Anyone got a recipe for a banana cream pie where mashed bananas are part of the filling?

Thanks! :)

Nomilynn
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I saw him make this on a show recently.. apparently it's the most requested dessert in his restaurants!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7002988

This one just looks really easy:

~ Makes 8 Servings ~ Work Time: 15-20 Minutes ~ Difficulty: Easy as Pie!

2 Bananas, thinly sliced
1 Banana, finely mashed
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1 box (3.9 oz.) Instant Pudding, Vanilla or Banana flavour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 Cup Whipped Cream (or 1 8oz. pkg. Cool Whip)
1 Graham Cracker Crust

Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, mashed banana and pudding. With the mixer on a low-medium speed, slowly add the milk and continue to mix until the filling is smooth.

Layer one sliced banana on the bottom of the graham cracker crust. Cover with one half of the pudding filling. Layer second banana slices, then cover with remaining pudding filling.

Chill pie for at least 6-8 hours to set pudding. Cover the entire pie with whipped cream before serving.

You can use a store-bought graham cracker crust, or make your own, which is really simple. Grind graham crackers using your food processor (or a large ziploc bag and a rolling pin) to yield 1 1/2 cups — usually this takes one sleeve. Add 1/4 - 1/3 cup of white sugar (depending on how sweet you like the crust), 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix it all well, pat it into the pan, and bake for 7 minutes at 375 if the pie won’t be baked after the crust is filled, or chill for an hour if it will. Really simple.

Catty1
05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks! My sweetie wants to make the pudding from scratch too - but he may have to be practical. ;) That looks way yummy!

bckrazy
05-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I love making banana cream pie with mashed bananas in vanilla pudding, banana slices and whipped cream on top, and nilla wafer "crust". Mmmm'mm! :love:

HoochsMommiee
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
this sounds sooooooo yummie