PDA

View Full Version : Best vacuum for picking up pet hair?

Pembroke_Corgi
05-09-2009, 12:42 PM
What kind of vacuum do you use? What is the best kind for getting up all the pet hair that is making me crazy?? :p

I have an upright bagless vacuum (I think it's a hoover of some kind...) and it gets clogged within minutes so is essentially useless. I'm tired of unclogging it all the time and want something that works! What do you recommend?

pomtzu
05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
There was a thread about this in Dog General about a week ago...:)

Pembroke_Corgi
05-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks! :) I will check there now...

Edited to add: Just checked the other thread and it appears that the $500 Dyson Animal is the best choice. Anybody have anything cheaper that works ok? Spending $500 on a vacuum is not an option since I am not working, and even if it was, I don't think I could do it!!

pomtzu
05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks! :) I will check there now...

Edited to add: Just checked the other thread and it appears that the $500 Dyson Animal is the best choice. Anybody have anything cheaper that works ok? Spending $500 on a vacuum is not an option since I am not working, and even if it was, I don't think I could do it!!

As I stated in the other thread - I've used an Oreck for about 5 years now, and it does a great job. If you are able to get to an Oreck store, you can check them out and "test drive" one. They also have reconditioned ones at great savings.

Taz_Zoee
05-09-2009, 02:34 PM
When we were looking for a new vacuum I came here and searched vacuums and did research that way. As I stated in the most recent thread we found a Dyson Animal for $300 something. You can get refurbished ones with a warranty if you do enough research. My boyfriend is good at that. :)

Medusa
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I've tried oh so many vc's and none of them meet w/my approval. I may try a Dyson but when I see commercials where the vc is sucking up nuts and bolts, it makes me crazy. Clearly you have a unique problem if nuts and bolts are all over your floor. Any vc can handle that job. Pet hair clings. I think they should make a vc out of clothing because my clothes are always covered!

neko1
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I have the Dyson animal for the downstairs and an Oreck for upstairs and I love them both. The Oreck is lightweight and the Dyson has great attachments.

allmycats
05-10-2009, 12:34 AM
not exactly anything to do with a vacuum, but I saw something advertised that you roll across furniture, etc, and it picks up pet hair, I think that's what it was, but I can't remember and haven't seen it lately. has anyone else seen it or know what I am talking about? has anyone tried it?

Moesha
05-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I think what you are talking about is made by Pledge. I haven't used it but have seen it at one of the houses that I clean.

My Dyson is not the animal one. I bought it on Overstock a year and a half ago. I don't know if they still have it or not. It came with 5 attachments. It is bronze in color. I think it was $400, but I had found some coupons and rebates online and paid $350, free shipping and no tax helped out too. It wasn't refurbished, but you can get them refurbished for less money. Sometimes HSN, Home Shopping Network, has them cheaper than you can find other places.

sirrahbed
05-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I have my first ever Dyson and just love it!! One thing I learned when we were searching Dysons was that the "Animal" refers to the hand attachment itself and you don't have to buy the "Animal" model necessarily if you find the basic Dyson on a good sale. The basic model had the same specs as the one that is packaged as "Animal". Dc-8 or something like that? You can always buy that attachment separately. It is pricey though so prolly best to get with the package if you plan to use it. That said - though I love my Dyson, I am not that impressed with the animal attachment itself. I usually do not bother with it at all. It is the suction of the vacuum that is so wonderful!! It literally picks the carpet up off the floor and sucks out all the dust and hair - cleans like crazy:) Sometimes that cup is full to the brim with cat hair that I thought was gone!! Like the commercial says, it does not lose suction. I noticed that the newer light weight model that moves on a roller ball actually has less power than the basic clunkier model.

I recently saw a TV commercial for a new model available at WalMart - some name brand I don't remember at the moment - and it sounded like it used the same cyclone technology of the Dyson and I wondered if that might be something to look into and more affordable? $4-500 IS a lot to pay for a vacuum - even though I love it very much and am glad I have it.

sirrahbed
05-10-2009, 01:21 PM
not exactly anything to do with a vacuum, but I saw something advertised that you roll across furniture, etc, and it picks up pet hair, I think that's what it was, but I can't remember and haven't seen it lately. has anyone else seen it or know what I am talking about? has anyone tried it?

That does sound like the Pledge fabric eraser - and I bought one with a coupon. It really does a good job of getting the downy fur off of my bedspeads and pillows. But it is rather pricy I think - about $5 for a disposable product. So, I have been swiping a toothpick between the roller and removing the picked up hair so I keep reusing the rollers and so far, they are still working just fine. I have had it about a month and use it every few days on beds and pillows. It works about the same as a sticky tape roller at picking stuff up. I suppose the rollers fabric will wear out in a few months and I will buy another. There was a good ($2 off) coupon at the Pledge website - may still be there:)

Moesha
05-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Macy's has the DC18 Dyson Slim for $249 on closeout on their website.

Here is the link. (http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=241003&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&LinkshareID=59JLB7sBj1c-Clp98Ym70uP7WQZuGLeQPw) It says $299, but when you add it to your cart, you save $50.

Moesha
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Overstock.com has a Dyson Animal refurbished with a 6 month warranty for $263. There are some other deals on new and refurbished Dyson's there also.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Oddly enough, it's not my cats' hair that causes the problems here, it's mine.
I have long hair and it wraps around vacuum rollers and brushes and stops them dead.

I've gone through more vacuums than I can count. :(

Oh, about those Pledge fabric erasers: you can empty them and reuse them if you are careful. Just use an exato knife and cut out the flat slanted side. Pull out the hair and cover the hole with duct tape. I've done it and it works.