PDA

View Full Version : Ear wax?

allmycats
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Earlier this year when Leo had surgery, Snickers was sick too, she has been doing fine , but yesterday I was petting her, and noticed a spot of what looked like wax in one of her ears...do cats get ear wax? I have never seen it in any of my cats before, and I have had cats for almost 9 years now. :confused:

aTailOf2Kitties
05-08-2009, 06:50 AM
yup, they get ear wax just like us!

Catlady711
05-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Yup, some cats just get more of it that others, and sometimes just one ear.

allmycats
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
what do you do for cat's ear wax? I hate to mess with with their ears, I guess I'll call the vet on Monday.

aTailOf2Kitties
05-10-2009, 08:17 AM
if it's just a little bit and not too deep you can wipe it out with a q-tip. If there is a lot you can either buy a bottle of ear cleaner and do it yourself or have a vet do it. Your vet can also check for ear mites (just in case) while she is there. My Havoc was treated for ear mites when I first got him and his ears just seemed to stay nasty for a couple months afterward. I was cleaning them twice a week for awhile until it finally decreased in frequency.

Catlady711
05-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I just clean out my kitties ears with a Qtip about once or twice a month, depending how fast the wax builds up. You can't really get to the eardrum in a cat, because it's around a corner, and the cat would never let you get anywhere near it if you tried. If you're afraid to use a Qtip, then swab it out with a dry cotton ball as deep as you can get it in with your fingers. That should take care of most of it.

Earmites typically will present with itching, and head shaking. The stuff that you clean out of the ears will look like wet coffee grounds. Revolution is the easiest thing to treat those with in that case, as it's just a topical you apply once a month for 1-2 months. It's alot easier than putting drops in the ears every day.

lvpets2002
05-11-2009, 03:17 PM
:) Yup they have ear wax just like us.. Some of my babies dont have it at all & some of my babies I have to clean their ears regularly..