PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing....

Taz_Zoee
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
as a high fat low protein cat food (wet)?
I think I know why Taz is so darn skinny. The food I have him on is pretty low in fat. But he also needs low protein for his kidneys.
I don't know what to do. Do I give him any high fat food just to get some meat back on him? But that runs the risk of his BUN and creatnine numbers escalating.
What would you do?? :confused:

lvpets2002
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
:) I would ask the Vet what food to advise you on.. I am sure there is a happy middle somewhere.. I thought most cat food was high in fat.. I will check diff bags to see which is the highest.. But then again you said low in protien right.. MMmm dont know if we can have both..:confused:

Barbara
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
You know that Filou is in renal failure as well. My vet says that if they lose weight they digest their own protein which is just as bad as protein in food.
She allowed him to eat anything to stop him lose weight. Filou now survives the diagnosis for 4 years with his diet of renal dry food (Royal Canin) plus wet high fat food.
You may give him an egg yolk every other day- it's full of fat and no protein.;)

Taz_Zoee
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks Helene. Yeah, I don't think we can have both. And I want it in a wet food.
The perscription (k/d) I was giving him (which he will only eat the dry of now) was a couple %'s higher than what I'm giving him now in fat. So he's getting even LESS fat with this food and it's all he'll eat.

I am taking the dogs to the vet next Tuesday. I'll inquire with them at that time.

Taz_Zoee
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you so much Barbara!! We posted at the same time. But this really gives me hope. So I will go grab some fatty food this weekend and see how that works. I'll also still ask at the vet as well.

catmandu
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
There are several Vet Formulas out there, but the one that I used when Michael the Dream and Juke Joint Joseph were having trouble with losing weight was the Evo Turkey and Chicken and it worked quite well.
:love::love::love:

Moesha
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Do you still have that link to the food chart from the diabetes website that I posted sometime ago? It might give you an idea of the lowest protein highest fat content food to try. Here is the link just in case you don't remember it. (http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodNew.html)

ETA: I just took a quick look and besides the prescription foods, the different EVO foods are very high in fat and relatively low in protein.

Taz_Zoee
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Moesha. I'll check the site when I get home tonight. :)