PDA

View Full Version : Need dog food storage ideas, please!

Cookiebaker
05-06-2009, 06:01 AM
So, this spring we have been doing a little renovating on our house; and basically have turned our storage room over into a playroom. I have found a new home for everything that was in that room except for dog food. Since we got Malone in 2002, we have kept his food in a huge rubber tote (we buy it 50# at a time) but now, I really don't have a place to keep that tote without it being in the middle of the kitchen or diningroom. So I was wondering, how and where do you store your dog food? Thank you!!! :)

anna_66
05-06-2009, 07:01 AM
We keep ours in the garage (I know, probably not much help am I;))

PS I love your new siggy!!!

Freedom
05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
NICE siggy!

I keep mine in a closet; the cats can open cupboards, so it has to be a "cat proof" place, as they team up - the cats open the stuff, then the dogs go in andhelp themselves. :rolleyes:

caseysmom
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Mine is in a rubbermaid thing in the kitchen in a corner. Not too pretty but its convenient:D

Seravieve
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Ours is kept in a hall closet, about 10 ft from the kitchen, in a flip top storage tote (from Home Depot). I guess it should technically be called the 'coat closet' since its right off of the living room... what whatever. That's the only place we can keep it... And it can't sit out because Zeke knows how to lift the lid with his nose!!

CountryWolf07
05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
When we had Anna and Rosie, their dog food was always stored in a plastic bin, we'd just empty the bag and pour it in there, and then put it away in the wood cabinet right next to their dog food - made everything easier - Same thing with Hank.

wolf_Q
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I have this http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3926636t400.jpg it stores a lot of food but it doesn't take up a huge amount of space. It's airtight so it keeps out any bugs. I keep it in the basement.

ramanth
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
We have 2 of the Iris air-tight storage containers (30 Qt), which we keep in the closet:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6004473

Although it only holds around 30#'s of food, Amazon does sell a 60 Qt. size :)

I love that it's on wheels and is pretty easy to use.

pomtzu
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
In the laundry room in a big plastic container.

lvpets2002
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
:) Will your container fit under your bed?? I keep the dog food in a container on top of the dryer in which is in the garage..

mruffruff
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I have Stack-n-Store. They have a ring kind of thing on the top of the door for putting a padlock or clip on. I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus for about $20. I have them stacked in the hallway next to the kitchen door (cats & dogs). I just pour a bag of food in it and scoop when I feed. They hold about 20lbs of food each.

Cinder & Smoke
05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
The FurKids eat out of the Garbage. :p

:eek:

Well, their Krunchies are *stored* in a once brand new 30 gallon Galvanized
metall Garbage Can with a tight-fitting metal lid. "Their Can" got a soap & hot water bath
(inside & out) the day at it moved into the 1st floor hall Coat Closet, and
has been faithfully holding Big Bags of Dawg Krunchies for 30 years!

The 30 gallon size fits under all the short or waist-length coats; the longer coats
are hung at the other end of the closet. The Krunch Can was big enough to hold an
(old) 50# bag of Krunchies - back in the Dark Ages when they packaged
the stuff in 50#ers. :p
A current "big" bag only holds 30-35# ... Almost looks empty when a fresh bag goes in!

Da KAT had his Krunchies in two plastic tubs - one to hold an 18-25# full bag;
and a second "cereal storage" and server tub with a little flip-door in the top.
His grub was stored in the bathroom linen closet - his dining area was ON the Vanity -
out of reach of the Dawg Mob.

cali
05-06-2009, 06:53 PM
well the mostly in the fridge lol, but the kibble I have on hand, as well as Guinness' dogfood when I am dogsitting, goes in the linin closest in the bathroom.

Kater
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Some tips I learned about pet food storage...

-Keep dry pet food in the ORIGINAL BAG if at all possible.
-The bag can then be put inside something plastic, but transferring food from the original bags to plastic bins has been proven to negatively affect palatability.
-In addition, food in plastic containers oxidizes faster and therefore degrades more quickly (e.g. loss of polyunsaturated fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins).

(This information comes from a DVM boarded in veterinary internal medicine that knows more about the inner workings of the pet food industry than anyone I know.)

Nellly Melson
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
She is right

CountryWolf07
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Some tips I learned about pet food storage...

-Keep dry pet food in the ORIGINAL BAG if at all possible.
-The bag can then be put inside something plastic, but transferring food from the original bags to plastic bins has been proven to negatively affect palatability.
-In addition, food in plastic containers oxidizes faster and therefore degrades more quickly (e.g. loss of polyunsaturated fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins).

(This information comes from a DVM boarded in veterinary internal medicine that knows more about the inner workings of the pet food industry than anyone I know.)

Very interesting info! Thanks... I think I'll stick with leaving the food in the bag now. :)

Nellly Melson
05-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Me too

finn's mom
05-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I use 5 gallon paint buckets. They're airtight and easy to store and rearrange. And, cheap! I can't see paying $40 for a container made specifically for dog food.

labmomma
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I have 40 pounds shipped to me at a time. I keep it inside a Rubbermaid container that fits inside a chest that was inherited when my Dad passed away. It's in the sun room and blends in with the rest of the furniture. It's like a footlocker but an antique.
Labmomma X 2:)

Seravieve
05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I finally remembered to look at the brand of ours.. could never find a picture like it online. Here it is:
http://www.suncast.com/images/product/bh181812-400.jpg

It's interesting to read that a plastic container could change the food so much. I do notice that the kibble is a dark brown when first added to the container, and lighter by the time we're ready for a new bag.

Daisy and Delilah
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
My son has two big dogs so he buys the 50 pound bag. He stores it in a huge plastic bin with wheels on it. He keeps it in the kitchen.

Interesting info about the plastic and emptying the bag into the bin. I'll tell him about this tomorrow.

Daisy and Delilah's food is in a medium Tupperware container that fits on the pantry shelf. Quite a contrast.:)