PDA

View Full Version : purebred vs. mix breed?

jenluckenbach
09-26-2002, 09:30 AM
Do you have pure bred cats or mixec breed cats? What are your opinions on the differences? Pros/cons?

pupper-lover
09-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Oops! I voted, but I didn't realize this was a cat thing. Subtract one vote from the both 1 and 3 category. Sorry about that :o

moosmom
09-26-2002, 02:17 PM
I voted for both 1 and 3 but feel the need to explain.

I have 6 cats. I absolutely refuse to pay a breeder an astronomical amount of money for a "purebred" cat. There are far too many homeless, unwanted and abandoned cats out there.

Out of the 6, 3 are purebreeds that were RESCUED from bad breeders. MooShoo, my Sphynx, was rescued from his breeder who neglected him and his siblings. They all had a herpes virus in their eyes, which caused MooShoo to be blind in his right eye and limited vision in his left.

My Munchkin, "Little Mews Faberge" (aka Shorty) was rescued from another bad breeder who kept her locked up in a cage for the first year of her life, with no exposure to people or other cats. I asked if I could bring her home and socialize her to get her used to people and other cats. She's been with me ever since. Because she developed pyometria and had to be spayed, the whacko scientist (that's what I call the breeder anyway) had no use for her. She's the most loving, kittenish, playful little girl.

Then there's Carly the Curly Girl, an tiger tabby American Curl whose breeder lost her house. She's shy at first, but loves to have her chin scratched. The house she was raised in was littered with filth, garbage and cat pee and poop.

My other 3 cats are mixed breeds that were rescued from shelters.

zookeeper
09-26-2002, 03:36 PM
not really sure if mine is a purebred. I adopted Cam from the humane society and they had him listed as a DSH Orange Tabby. So if he has anything else in him we have no idea.

Although I would never buy from a breeder as there are so many cats at the humane society waiting for homes.

neko1
09-26-2002, 06:39 PM
I have 2 shelter cats, 1 feral cat we rescued, and 1 purebred abyssinian that was given to me by a client at the vet's office that I work in. She paid $1,300 for him!

Felicia's Mom
09-26-2002, 08:56 PM
I have 1 mixed breed and 1 purebred from a breeder.

Uabassoon
09-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Both of my cats are mixed breeds. Corkscrew is an orange tabby, and tibby is a DLH with lynx point markings.