PDA

View Full Version : Dumpy Frog

Adirock
05-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone! First time posting, glad to be apart of the forum.... but now onto business. I received a White's Tree Frog about a week a half ago as a present and couldn't be happier to have him apart of my pet family. (A beagle, a toy fox terrier, and two kitties.) But he doesn't seem to be very interested in food. I can't seem to find anywhere how much he will eat exactly, but most of what I hear is that they are non-stop eaters. Since I have had him he has only eaten about 7 or 8 mealworms. The first night I got him, he ate 3 in a span of about 5 minutes and since then, will eat one every few days but then hops off uninterested in the others squirming around him. He seems healthy, his weight seems to be normal and he likes to sing a lot, but I'm worried he may not be eating enough. If anyone knows anything about these little guys, I would appreciate any information you may have. Thank you!

Karen
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Do you know how old he is? How big is he?

Adirock
05-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you know how old he is? How big is he?

Not sure how old he is but I'm guessing maybe close to a year because I've read that they won't start croaking until then, and he is a little more than 2 inches long.

Seravieve
05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
We have two White's... had them for almost 2 months or so. We've only fed them crickets so far.. and they'll eat tons of them. We've gotten both small and large ones (since they've grown so much) and theyre happy with both. We put 8 or so in their terrarium at once and they hop around and eat them up. If one eats more than the other, we'll give the other one a couple more with feeding tongs. Crickets might be a little more work than mealworms... But these two seem to love them. We feed our other two, Green tree frogs, crickets as well. You can get a cheap little plastic keeper for them and get the gut-loading cricket food and quencher for all probably $20... We keep about 50 crickets at a time in this plastic keeper, was marketed as a hermit crab cage.. but whatever. Crickets are about 10 cents each around here.

It sounds like your white's is older than ours, as its croaking... so it should definitely be eating more, I'd think. Our Greenie aka Chloe will occasionally chirp once or twice, but not too much. Wasabi is the noisiest out of the bunch so far.. he's been waking me up the last few mornings.

Oh yea.. and we feed them nightly. The White's will eat about 4-5 small ones a night.

Adirock
05-08-2009, 05:43 AM
We have two White's... had them for almost 2 months or so. We've only fed them crickets so far.. and they'll eat tons of them. We've gotten both small and large ones (since they've grown so much) and theyre happy with both. We put 8 or so in their terrarium at once and they hop around and eat them up. If one eats more than the other, we'll give the other one a couple more with feeding tongs. Crickets might be a little more work than mealworms... But these two seem to love them. We feed our other two, Green tree frogs, crickets as well. You can get a cheap little plastic keeper for them and get the gut-loading cricket food and quencher for all probably $20... We keep about 50 crickets at a time in this plastic keeper, was marketed as a hermit crab cage.. but whatever. Crickets are about 10 cents each around here.

It sounds like your white's is older than ours, as its croaking... so it should definitely be eating more, I'd think. Our Greenie aka Chloe will occasionally chirp once or twice, but not too much. Wasabi is the noisiest out of the bunch so far.. he's been waking me up the last few mornings.

Oh yea.. and we feed them nightly. The White's will eat about 4-5 small ones a night.

I went out and bought him some crickets because I thought meal worms might be the problem, but he wasn't interested in the crickets at all. For the most part, he'd watch them for a little while and if one of them got too close, he would hop away from them. The good news is, he's actually been eating one meal worm a night since I posted this. And last night he actually ate 3 so that was exciting for me. I thought maybe something was wrong with him, but since he's been eating more he seems more alert and more active. Before, he was hiding all the time under his log or almost burrowing down into his substrate, but for the last couple days every time I come home from work or wake up in the morning, he is climbing up onto his branches or bathing in his tub. Hopefully these are all good signs. Thank you for your advice!

Seravieve
05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Glad to hear he's eating more. That's always a relief!

DriftyAlison0
07-18-2009, 03:45 PM
My guess its stress with a new home and all. But now that he is adjusting, he is eating more.

I am no expert. But that is my guess.