PDA

View Full Version : I just have to say, "AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!" (UPDATE Post #16 with Pic)

rg_girlca
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/STRESSEDOUT.jpg Like I need this right now. :( Some of you will remember from last year the terrible time FIVE of my babies had these horrible sores on their backs and the final diagnoses was "Body Mites," well guess what folks???? You got it!!! Here we go again!!!!!! It's been 9 months since the last sore was completely gone. Then on March 17th, I noticed this on Mooky.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures390.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures396.jpg

When this all started, Mooky was the first one to get this and here he is the first one again and so far the only one. Knocking on wood that he will be the only one also. Brought him the next day to see a different vet, more so to get a second opinion from the first time. But, it was the same diagnosis as the first time, "Flea related," even though they have no fleas. Everyone was treated with Revolution on March 1st. At first the vet thought maybe it was to do with his anal sacks because of it being right at the base of his tail, but upon checking it out, it wasn't that.
Anyway, he was put on medication,"Dexamethasone," 1/2 a pill for 7 days and then 1/2 a pill every second day to total another 7 days. If it didn't heal up I was to bring him back. Thankfully it was almost gone. BUT he started to lick it and it started up again. Back on the pills for another 7 days.
Healed up again, started to lick it, flared up again and back on the pills for another 14 days this time. If it should flare up after this, it's back to the vets. Thank God he is so easy to pill. I just open his mouth, pop the pill in to the back of his throat and that's it. No struggling or moving at all, he just swallows and down it goes.

Everyday, I've been checking all the other cats and so far, like I mentioned above, knock on wood, no one else is showing any signs of having sores.

Sorry this is so long, but if you could please say a prayer that we can get this under control and that it doesn't flare up with the others like the last time, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

catmandu
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
:eek::eek::mad::mad:
I can certainly understand the AAAAARRRGH! as that a paom when Our Cats get fleas or any king of insect infection, Lorraine.!!!
:D:D:D:D
We pray that you can nip this in the bud before it gets too bad!!!
:love::love:

Medusa
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I totally understand your frustration. It's so bad when they itch and if your other cats get it, too, it's even worse. Prayers are going up right now that this will be under control quickly, easily and in peace. :)

Randi
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh no, poor Mooky! :( I hope you manage to get it under control. It must be itching like mad. Can you get something to put on it to help that? I know there are creams for humans you can put on if you're itching or have got burned. Pehaps also a cone will be neccesary.

Sending lots of healing thoughts to Mooky, and to you. :)

Laura's Babies
05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Awwww! I sure hope this clears up fast for Mooky.. Poor baby, itching can drive you nuts!

rg_girlca
05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

Randi, the first time Mooky had this we put some polysporin on it and he went absolutely crazy, twitching, tail thrashing and jumping all over the place for about 15 minutes. Had me in complete tears seeing him like that. Thankfully he settled down after. The vet said not to put anything on it at all and you'll be darn sure I won't.
If it does flare up again, because of his licking it, I'm sure he will get a cortizone shot this time and an E collar.

Randi
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
It certainly sounds like that polysporin isn't the right thing. :eek: :) If Mooky does have to get an e-collar on, perhaps it will help if you put a wet cloth on it now and again.

Sending best wishes for a fast recovery. :love:

Kirsten
05-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Looks bad!! :(

Skin problems can be so difficult to medicate... I hope poor Mooky will soon get better!

Kirsten

cassiesmom
05-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh, Mooky, please rest and let the dex do its job!

phesina
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Prayers that Mooky's sore will heal up properly and none of the others will come down with any of this..

I also lit a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8316933

columbine
05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
If you want something soothing to put on it, emu oil is safe. I'm a bit surprised that he's getting a steroid for mites - did the vet say he's allergic? I know some cats are allergic to mites, but I thought they usually put ivermectin drops in cats' ears to get rid of mites (even body mites - apparently the ears soak it up into the bloodstream). Get better, Mooky, and please keep your itchies to yourself!

Love, Columbine

rg_girlca
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes.

Phesina; Thank you for lighting a candle. That was very sweet of you to do.

Columbine, the cortizone shot is to help with the itching, at least that is what the vet told me, plus it's not for body mites, it was for when he thought it was flea related. He said that if Mooky was the only one who had this problem, he would say he was allergic, but since I had 4 other cats with the same thing, he said no.

Now this new vet that I saw, also thinks it's flea related and not body mites, which I don't understand, because like I mentioned in my first post, they had all been treated with Revolution on March 1st and I noticed the sore on Mooky on the 17th. BUT, the article that I had first read about this last year, said that even though they don't have fleas, it is flea related and with proper treatment, which is a cortizone shot and antibiotics, they will get better, BUT it could come back again in about 6 months time.
I just hope and pray that this is not going to be a yearly thing with Mooky and that I was able to nip it in the bud before it spreads to the others.

momcat
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Poor Mooky :( I hope you're all better very soon and these ickies will leave you alone! Sending you lots of get better lovies :love: :love: :love:

Oh Lorraine, I remember the problems you've had with this. Your poor Mookster must be pretty uncomfortable. Prayers are being prayed that it won't spread to your other fuzzballs. Please let us know how things are going?

krazyaboutkatz
05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Lorraine, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to go through this again.:( I hope that Mooky will clear up quickly and feel better soon and hopefully you won't ever have any more problems. Lots of prayers and positive vibes are being sent your way.

I thought that there was some kind of shot for mites. I always use advantage on all of my cats every month and so far so good. I haven't had a flea problem in years.

Pinot's Mom
05-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Prayers for Mooky - skin conditions are awful! I'm sorry you're going through this (Mom and Mooky).:(

rg_girlca
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes.

Mooky is doing better and is continuing on with his medication.

I just wanted to show you what the difference in the sore is like when it is starting to dry up compared to when he licks it and flares it up.

.............This is when he licks it...........................Then when it is drying up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures390.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures419.jpg

I pray that this time it will be ALL healed up when he is finished his medication.

momcat
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Lorraine,
I've been praying for Mooky. How is he doing? Did everything clear up? Is he feeling better? Sending lots of lovies to your furcrew :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

cassiesmom
05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Mooky, sweetheart --- I am so glad your skin is healing. Please try not to lick it, okay? I know that is hard. Prayers that it will heal up 100%!

HUGS for you and your meowmy,
Elyse and Cassie

rg_girlca
05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you Momcat & Cassiesmom. :D

So far the sore is looking better as each day goes by. He has 4 more pills to take. If it isn't completely gone by then and it should flare up by him licking it, then it's back to the vets with him.