PDA

View Full Version : getting used to them

davidpizzica
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to get used to my new dentures. It still feels funny to have teeth in my mouth again. Are there any tips in getting comfortable with them? I have upper and lower dentures. Talking is an experience!

Karen
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Just relax, try reading the newspaper aloud for a few minutes at a time. That will help you get used to talking with them with no embarrassment, and maybe Marigold will appreciate the "story time," too!

Try to keep them in as much as possible, so your gums gets used to them. One of my uncles left them out too much, then they didn't fit any more.

lvpets2002
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
:) Well it will just take time David.. They will also take some adjustments as well I am sure.. I know my dad was always having his adjusted.. But after you get use to them & all comfy then it will be second nature eating with them..

Laura's Babies
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
You got both? Hummm.. I only have experience with uppers. They DO take getting use to since they are something you are not use to. I had to take mine out several times a day just to give my mouth a rest, no more than 15 minutes per time. Reading aloud is a good way to learn how to talk with them in... WARNING... DO NOT do that whistle thing when you talk with them... VERY irratating to the people who have to hear it. :mad:

Just take your time getting use to them, don't be so consious of them. Practice eating at home before you try doing it in public.. I no time, you will be a pro at talking and eating with them.. OH! Don't forget to SMILE!

I am trying to get use to these new eyes!

davidpizzica
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
You got both? Hummm.. I only have experience with uppers. They DO take getting use to since they are something you are not use to. I had to take mine out several times a day just to give my mouth a rest, no more than 15 minutes per time. Reading aloud is a good way to learn how to talk with them in... WARNING... DO NOT do that whistle thing when you talk with them... VERY irratating to the people who have to hear it. :mad:

Just take your time getting use to them, don't be so consious of them. Practice eating at home before you try doing it in public.. I no time, you will be a pro at talking and eating with them.. OH! Don't forget to SMILE!

I am trying to get use to these new eyes!

LB, I hope I can talk with them pretty good because sunday aftenoon, I'll have to try to SING in the choir with these dentures in! Also I'll have to master the art of eating because I'll be cruising our three rivers on the Majestic which will be our bowling banquet. A lot of food!

Laura's Babies
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I'll be cruising our three rivers on the Majestic which will be our bowling banquet. A lot of food!

All that good food?! Ok, don't forget the diet and make WISE choices with what you eat.

Hummmm, sing in the choir Sunday? You better get to practicing!! If they fit right, it shouldn't be a problem.

pomtzu
05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey David - I have both - after losing the real ones to a severe calcium deficiency about 5 years ago.
I really didn't have any trouble talking - even right from the start. You might feel more comfortable with them starting out if you use an adhesive, especially on the tops, and especially if you're going to be singing.
Also, you'll find that you have to make adjustments eating. I can't just bite into an apple any longer - I cut it in slices and then eat it. Nuts are pretty much off my diet since they so easily get under the plate and cause a big ouch!!!:eek: They're not worth the pain!!! Fruits with small seeds - like strawberries or raspberries are a pain too - but not as bad as nuts. Corn on the cob is a challenge and I would never attempt it in a restaurant - at home it's manageable - but not too pretty!!! :eek: Tender meats are a must - chewing on that piece of steak that resembles shoe leather is better left alone. Chewing gum??? - forget it!
I think you'll find that you just have to make your own adjustments to get what is comfortable for you. Unfortunately, they will never work like the "real thing", but it's better than doing without any at all. And of course if you get any sore spots (which you most likely will), get back to your dentist for an adjustment.
Good luck!

rg_girlca
05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Pomtzu, you took the words right out of my mouth and yes David, it is very important that the minute a sore developes, please don't put it off, get to your dentist right away. Also, I wanted to add in regards to food, stay away from anything that has sesame seeds.

Good Luck David and don't forget to post a picture of your wonderful smile now. :D

davidpizzica
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
All that good food?! Ok, don't forget the diet and make WISE choices with what you eat.

Hummmm, sing in the choir Sunday? You better get to practicing!! If they fit right, it shouldn't be a problem.

LB, I sang real good with them in the choir today. It was better than I'd thought I'd do! No slips and they stayed where they belonged!

DJFyrewolf36
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
LB, I sang real good with them in the choir today. It was better than I'd thought I'd do! No slips and they stayed where they belonged!

Thats good! *hugs* Glad that you are getting used to them so quickly :)

Laura's Babies
05-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Believe it or not, I thought about you yesterday and wondered how you did and came checked to see if you posted about it yet. They will become so much a part of you that before long, you won't even notice them anymore.

I am having a struggle getting use to NOT wearing glasses because they have been so much a part of me for soooo very long. First thing when I get out of bed, I go to the dresser to get them.. I am always grabbing them and putting them on only to realize I can't see with them anymore.. This is going to take some getting use to! :rolleyes: I miss my glasses!

davidpizzica
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Believe it or not, I thought about you yesterday and wondered how you did and came checked to see if you posted about it yet. They will become so much a part of you that before long, you won't even notice them anymore.

I am having a struggle getting use to NOT wearing glasses because they have been so much a part of me for soooo very long. First thing when I get out of bed, I go to the dresser to get them.. I am always grabbing them and putting them on only to realize I can't see with them anymore.. This is going to take some getting use to! :rolleyes: I miss my glasses!

LB, with my new teeth, the cataract surgery on my right eye, and my artificial left knee, I wonder how much "me" is left? I getting better with my dentures and so far no sore spots have developed.

Laura's Babies
05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I had cataracts eyes on both removed. LOL, how much of you is left? Wait till you loose that weight and you WILL be a totally new person! Then you will be able to see how "HOT" you are going to be, be able to chase the women with your good knee and bite the heck out of them once you catch them with your new teeth!! LOL! :rolleyes:

carole
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
YAHOO Brother, i am so happy at last you have them, ok where is the pic then, waiting patiently, glad you are getting used to them, yes i hear it takes time, but time will fly by,great news.:):love: