PDA

View Full Version : A reminder about May Day

Medusa
04-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Last year I posted about this and several of you asked me to post a reminder again this year.

On May 1, wash your face in the early morning dew. Legend has it that it will ensure your youthful appearance and beauty for another year. I've often wondered what my neighbors think when they see me pat the grass and then pat my face even though I do it as close to sunrise as possible, thinking that perhaps I won't be seen that early in the morning. Ah well, I'm the crazy cat lady in the neighborhood anyhow, so who cares. :p

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Last year I posted about this and several of you asked me to post a reminder again this year.

On May 1, wash your face in the early morning dew. Legend has it that it will ensure your youthful appearance and beauty for another year. I've often wondered what my neighbors think when they see me pat the grass and then pat my face even though I do it as close to sunrise as possible, thinking that perhaps I won't be seen that early in the morning. Ah well, I'm the crazy cat lady in the neighborhood anyhow, so who cares. :p

Yikes - so that's my problem!!! :eek: I never heard of this. So what happens if it's a very clear and dry night and there's no dew in the morning? Do I turn the hose on it and make my own??? :p Hey - nothing will help me at this point. The damage is done and I'm beyond repair!!! :(

Medusa
04-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Yikes - so that's my problem!!! :eek: I never heard of this. So what happens if it's a very clear and dry night and there's no dew in the morning? Do I turn the hose on it and make my own??? :p Hey - nothing will help me at this point. The damage is done and I'm beyond repair!!! :(

No dew, no do. ;) And no, you're not beyond repair, girlfriend. You're beautiful; what are you talking about?

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 07:41 AM
No dew, no do. ;) And no, you're not beyond repair, girlfriend. You're beautiful; what are you talking about?

Didn't you say that you needed new glasses???? :D

Laura's Babies
04-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Hummmm... Maybe that is what I need to stop these wrinkles.. I HOPE I remember to give that a try in the morning... hay, would it help (the rest of me) if I went out there naked and rolled around in the dew? :eek:

Medusa
04-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Hummmm... Maybe that is what I need to stop these wrinkles.. I HOPE I remember to give that a try in the morning... hay, would it help (the rest of me) if I went out there naked and rolled around in the dew? :eek:

I thought of doing that myself but I don't want to scare people or damage their eyesight.

kokopup
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Every year for as far back as I can remember our roadways have been lined with thick clover everywhere. Years ago my wife jokingly said we need to take a 'roll in the clover'. Every year since, when the clover comes out, I am reminded that we haven't had that roll yet. Maybe we can restore a lot of youth if we take that roll in the morning dew kissed clover tomorrow. It couldn't hurt to try, right :D

Twisterdog
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Hmmm ... on May 1st in Wyoming, there is no dew, there is snow. Does that count?

Medusa
05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
LOL No dew here this morning either, just rain.

sirrahbed
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Showing my age but does anyone remember the custom of making paper cones of flowers and hanging them on doorknobs? I have an elderly neighbor I do this to - she is a retired school teacher and principal:D

I missed the morning dew - remember reading this last year - maybe next year:)

Edwina's Secretary
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Showing my age but does anyone remember the custom of making paper cones of flowers and hanging them on doorknobs? I have an elderly neighbor I do this to - she is a retired school teacher and principal:D

I remember! We would ring the door bell and then hide so the neighbor would not know who brought the flowers!

sirrahbed
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I remember! We would ring the door bell and then hide so the neighbor would not know who brought the flowers!

Exactly!!:D Can't believe I still get a kick out of this. I watch out the window while she comes to get them - she will tell me about it later and I play dumb:p She has so many ex-students in the area and thinks one of them still comes by. She will tell me how it is very old practice and who in the world remembers?? I don't even know where I got it - maybe from my mom or from a school teacher years ago - seems like it would be a craft project at school from what little I remember. I normally went to military dependent (DoD) schools so maybe that is where I learned it. :o I often wish kids still did this sort of thing.

phesina
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
When I lived in Cambridge, Mass., every May 1 I would see a bunch of Morris dancers prancing around the Maypole in Harvard Square. (I assume they're still at it.)

I think there's a group here in Ann Arbor, too. I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I don't know where they have their celebration, probably somewhere on the University campus.

Medusa
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
When I lived in Cambridge, Mass., every May 1 I would see a bunch of Morris dancers prancing around the Maypole in Harvard Square. (I assume they're still at it.)

I think there's a group here in Ann Arbor, too. I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I don't know where they have their celebration, probably somewhere on the University campus.

We danced around the Maypole when I was in grade school. I loved it. I know several people who still do it.

phesina
05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
We danced around the Maypole when I was in grade school. I loved it. I know several people who still do it.

That would be fun! Now I need to find out where they do it here (I'm sure they do) and how serious they get with it. The ones in Cambridge were real Morris Dancers, with the costumes and all. That's a little more involved than I'd want to get.