PDA

View Full Version : Can You Teach a Cat to Cuddle?

Catty1
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.catage.com/care/tipoftheweek.aspx

Can You Teach a Cat to Cuddle?
Originally published on April 28, 2009

Wish your cat was more of a cuddle bug? We may have help for you . . .

How touchy-feely a cat is often depends on his breed, his individual disposition, and how much affectionate human interaction he received as a kitten.

And while not every cat can be turned into a lap cat, the following training tricks -- although not scientifically proven -- may be worth a try:

* Let it be on his terms. Start by petting and sweet-talking your cat when he is sitting, lying down, or standing up. Conclude such "love" sessions with a treat to reward and reinforce the experience.
* Use enticements. When your cat is hungry, use some yummy treats to coax him onto your lap. Praise and pet him once he's there nibbling out of your hand. (And never medicate your cat or trim his nails while he's on your lap.)
* Don't force it. Wrestling your reluctant cat onto your lap and forcing affection will only ensure he never comes there again.
* Be patient. You may need to accept your cat just as he is. However, don't be surprised if -- after months or even years -- he becomes the cuddle cat you crave. Often, it just takes time.

Laura's Babies
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Giz wasn't a cuddeler until she matured, now she wants to cuddle all the time.. Boo wasn't a cuddler either but now she loves it since she learned how great it feels... but you all know what it took for her to get this far! :rolleyes:

catnapper
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I just had my non-cuddler over here begging for loving. :) Then she was pushed out of the way by another non-cuddler for the same reason. My silly girls! :p

Every cat will cuddle on their terms. Its just how often and to what extent.

aTailOf2Kitties
04-29-2009, 07:03 AM
a little catnip goes a long way too, LOL

Taz_Zoee
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I was afraid Paizly wasn't going to be a cuddler. But with my persistence and just constantly petting and touching her (as much as she would allow at a time) she is a huge cuddler. She's not fond of being held (while I'm standing) for very long though. But she is in the routine that every morning when I feed her I pick her up, give her a kiss and place her on the cabinet in front of her dish. She used to jump up there by herself, now she waits for me to pick her up and put her there. :p

catmandu
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM
:love::love::love:
I have found that the more that I love my Found Cats the more that they love me back, and I am lucky that we can spend so muchtime together, and have no distractions in life to bother us.
At the Found Cat hotel we are like a land Locked LOVE BOAT!!!
:love::love::love::love:

lvpets2002
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
:love: Some of mine want to cuddle & some dont.. I dont push it.. If they do then great & if they dont then thats fine too..

catmandu
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I HAVE FOUND THAT TUBSTER PANTHER:love::love::love::love: IS QUITE A CUDDLE BUG, AS HE PROBABLY NEVER HAD A LOT OF PETTING WHEN HE WAS YOUNG!!!
AND POUNCIERGE THE PRECIOUS IS THE MOST AFFECTIONATE, SHE CURLS BESIDE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING AND IS VERY NICE TOTHE WOUND CLINIC NURSES WHEN THEY COME, EVEN TRYING TO HELP AS THEY CLEAN THE SORES ON MY DIABETIC OLD FEET!!!
ITS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS.

smokey the elder
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Bubba, Pink Nose and Almond are my biggest cuddlers; Spike when he's in the mood; the others are friendly and do head bumps and purrs but don't really cuddle with me. Moby and Bosun cuddle with my SO; they're truly Daddy's girls.

GILL
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Some times it just depends on thier mood. Precious is a cuddle bug, mostly me when I not available she will go to mom. Mit's & Bart are my boys and will squeeze in the chair with me. Mit's like to give me hugs and has to cuddle too make sure I go too sleep on time. Demetri is my baby and loves to be held like one, all the time giving head bumps, kiss, and love nips, while purring his hart out. He will cuddle with mom if she grabs him. Chessie is mom's boy all the way, he cuddles, purrs, drools, and make bread, I might get to give him a scratch once in a while. Roz is a moma's girl and will snuggle in bed. Lucky only cuddles when it's time too go to sleep, he likes to sleep behind my nees. Penny will snuggle againest my tummy. Peak is not happy unless he is snuggling with mom, on top of her. Princess, Lenny, Bailey are not cuddlers. Sweety & Boots are our in house ferals.