PDA

View Full Version : Mandy is HOME p.4, #48; updates #24, 37; Mandy is missing

Freedom
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, Mandy has been the one cat who has had lots of trouble settling in.

I trapped her as a kitten, maybe 4 months old. I held her here 4 days, then she went to be socialized and after a few months that wasn't working, then Donna -- Moos mom -- took her in for almost 14 months, then she came back here in June of 2008.

My Dad, (who has Alzheimer's) opened his window and did not drop the screen down. Several of the cats took advantage and got out. I discovered this last night at bedtime -- I feed the cats right before I hit the sack. There was Chaplin, looking at me from OUTSIDE the window, and meowing, "I want dinner, MEOWMIE!" Took me a moment, I looked around to see where he was that I had such a clear reflection of him in that window, then I realized he was OUTSIDE! :eek:

Raced around trying to figure how he got out, found Dad's window. Dad was already in bed asleep, but me hollering woke him. :o He had to think on it, but figured the window had been open 24 hours. So I got that screen down, so no more escapes.

Set about counting tails, raced outside trying to find everyone and herd them back in. (Typical PT story, me in pajamas running around in the dark with cat kibble calling "here kit kit kit kit KIT!" )

I slid the screen up on my bedroom window and Chaplin waltzed right in. WHEW! Got everyone else EXCEPT . . . Mandy.

Haven't seen her at all.

The past 3 weeks or so, Crystal had been giving her a hard time, they were having some fights especially at night.

She is spayed, shots were updated in January. But she doesn't have the ear tip, as none of us expected her to be out and about ever again. She has only been coming to me in the middle of the night for petting so she never really tamed up much at all. But she is not at least 2 years old, hasn't been out since she was 4 months. The colony I trapped her from is walking distance from here, some of the cats show up in my yard now and again. I don't think she would remember any of that, though. And of course we have the coyotes in the back field . . . .

moosmom
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Freedom,

My heart is broken. I feel so bad and blame myself for not just keeping her with me. I am so sorry she got out and I hope and pray to God that she comes back. Check all the perimeters of the house, every nook and cranny you can find.

Please keep us posted.

I'm going to light a candle

Moesha
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
If you were to see her, do you think she would come to you? Do you have a humane trap that you could put out with some food close to the house in case she is nearby? I probably sound like I'm grasping at straws. I feel bad for you and really hope that Mandy comes back.

Scooter's Mom
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Oh, Sandie... my heart goes out to you. I will keep prayers going that sweet little Mandy gets hungry and comes home to you. I know how much you love her, even though she isn't as tame as the rest.

Maybe if you can put out a trap with food in it, you can get her in it and get her back in the house.

((Hugs)) and prayers going out to you, your dad and Mandy.

Laura's Babies
04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Awww! COME HOME MANDY!!!

pomtzu
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Mandy - come home please!!!

Sandie - hopefully she'll realize that the food is better at your house than in the wild. Prayers for her safe return.

Medusa
04-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Sandy, I'm so sorry that this happened. As Ellie said, maybe she'll realize how good she had it at home and come back after she gets her little taste of freedom. I will light a candle, too. :love:

happylabs
04-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Oh dear, I always worry of such things happening. I hope she comes back to you.

moosmom
04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Any sighting of Mandy yet, Sandie??? Everytime I think about her I cry that if it weren't for me giving her back, she'd be safe inside. Please forgive me.

Laura's Babies
04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Checking for a update too! Any news?

catmandu
04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
THE PET TALKER ANIMAL ANGEL ARMY SEARCH AND RESCUE SQUAD IS N THE JOB, AND WE PRAY THTA MANDY IS SOMEWHERE OUT THERE , AND WILL COME HOME TO YOU ONE DAY.
IN THIS OUR ALL MIGHTY LORDS NAME, WE PRAY!!!
:love::love::love:

lvpets2002
04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
:( Oh No Sandie I would just be so Defestated & Horrified.. Sending Lots of Prayers that Mandy comes home soon.. Come Home Now Sweetie Pie Mandy.. keep us posted ok..

momcat
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
How sad to hear such news! With all the PT prayers and the Angel Army Search and Rescue team on the job I have to believe that sweet Mandy will be found safe and sound. Groucho is contacting the A&P Investigators to ask them to join the search.

Many, many prayers are being prayed to St. Francis, the Patron Saint of animals to protect her and lead her back to where she is so loved and cared for.

Please keep us updated?

kb2yjx
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
O Sandie!!! I am so sorry to read about Mandy!! PRAYERS for her safe return, and I am going to light a few candles for Mandy and you, too!!! Sandra

GILL
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
The CREW is so sad that this has happend. Mandy it's time to get home where your safe.

phesina
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
We are saying our prayers and lighting a candle for Mandy too..

Freedom
04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you for all the kind words. No sightings of her as yet.

Donna, don't feel badly, you were thinking she would be happier at a farm, remember? She is a free spirit, loves the adventure of the outdoors.

I've been putting things out for her, but they have not been touched as yet.

moosmom
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Sandie,

Well, I do know that she wasn't happy being inside with my cats. But somehow I feel a bit responsible. I'm praying for her Sandie, and have been lighting candles for her.

I am so sorry.:(

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-29-2009, 06:26 AM
OOOOOHHHHH NO...........
Please get home asap Mandy !!!!!!! Your meowmie misses you!!

Pinot's Mom
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Any sightings? I'm so sorry this happened - I know it feels just awful!

Felicia's Mom
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I am so sorry to read this. Keeping you in my prayers.:love:

kb2yjx
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I am going to light another candle!!!! Come home Mandy...

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
No sight of Mandy yet???
Please come home sweety!!!!!

Freedom
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Spotted her in my backyard this morning! I ran out with th ebag of treats, shook it and called to her. She stopped and watched me for a bit, then jumped the fence to next door. I ran over and piled treats at the fence. Came in, (had to take Sugar for her post surgery vet check) looked 2 hours later, all the treats are gone.

She is currently safe, and in the area!

Will keep working on it.

Medusa
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Now that's encouraging! Good news, Sandy. Keep the faythe.

GILL
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Just keep trying.

kb2yjx
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Sandie!!! Maybe in her way, Mandy is missing you!!! Will light a few more candles for mandy and YOU!!!!

Pinot's Mom
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Come on Mandy, you're almost home!!!:love:

Catty1
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Come on, sweetie!:D

Would a have-a-heart trap work with the treats in it?

MAJOR prayers that she is home and safe soon!:love::love:

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Okay Mandy - time to stop playing "Cat and Mouse" with Meowmie. Why don't you just go back in the house - you can play it inside too!!! ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Would a have-a-heart trap work with the treats in it?

Was my first idea too!!

catmandu
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes just keeping on putting treats and food out, closer to your house and Mandy will eventually come back in.
It may take time as Mandys enjoyig being outside , but hopefully the novelty will wear off , and Mandy will be back in soon!!
The Pet Takers Search and Rescues keeping an eye on Mandy, and trying to convince her that theres no place like HOME!!!!
:love::):cool:

moosmom
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh Sandie that's wonderful news!!!

Don't give up, please!!!!!! Next time you see her in your yard, sit down with the treats and throw some to her. She might surprize you and come over.

That is such great news.

Laura's Babies
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
WONDERFUL news!! She is just out enjoying the spring weather and having a little fun! Keep encouraging her and she may come back, she just may prefer to be a outdoor/indoor girl.

phesina
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Fantastic! I lit another candle.

Mandy, come on home, where you get all the comfort and love and treats you can imagine!

momcat
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Come on Mandy, Meowmie misses you very much. Don't worry sweetie, you're not in any trouble so come on home :love:

Freedom
05-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Borrowed a trap and set it up late morning today, with nice smelly tuna in oil.
Put towels on the floor so she won't feel the wire. Plastic on top, held in place with rocks so it won't flap or blow away. Rain is coming.

As I am setting it all up, I felt like someone was watching me. So I paused, sat on the grass and slowly looked around. There was a nose and twitchy whiskers peering out from under my garden shed! I could lean over and see her, but obviously I could not get her, so I didn't even try. Didn't want to scare her away. That rascal smelled the tuna!

So, she has been out and about, learning it aint so easy to get regular meals when you are on your own. Now we have a few days of rain predicted, so I am thinking this will be a great time to trap her. The plastic will keep her dry and hold the smell of the tuna in the "cave" making it a very attractive place to poke around!

We saw her again about 5:30 this afternoon, coming across the street from the neighbor's yard and heading into my back yard. My back yard is fenced so she is safe from cars, coyotes etc back there. I keep checking the trap, but realize that the morning when she has been eating the food I have back there is the most likely time to get her.

I am working on it!

Little devil, sitting there watching me, lol.

Laura's Babies
05-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Little devil, sitting there watching me, lol.
And she is probably laughing her tail off while she has been watching you..

Medusa
05-02-2009, 06:15 AM
And she is probably laughing her tail off while she has been watching you..

My thought exactly. "Look at me making mom jump through hoops". ;)

Freedom
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I checked the trap at 9 AM and added some treats. Checked it at 12:15, she has been in there, tripped it but somehow managed NOT to be caught. :D Licked the tuna flat, ate most of the treats.

OOOooooh, she is a rascal, this one!

pomtzu
05-02-2009, 12:06 PM
You're getting closer to catching her, so that's a good sign.
Sounds like she's trying to test your patience and outsmart you too! :eek:

rg_girlca
05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't mean to laugh, but I did find it funny that she was sitting there watching you as you were setting up the trap. What a little devil is right!

Prayers on the way that you are able to catch Mandy and that she remains safe and sound til then.

snowbelle15
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
This is great news! Your getting closer and closer to catching her.

Mandy, come home. Meowmie misses you.

Freedom
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Looked out the window this afternoon, and there she was, sniffing around the trap, jumping backwards, sniffing again. Odd.

So I went out to look. My LACEY was sitting trapped inside! :D Of course, all the cat treats, tuna and other treats were gone.

Gosh, this is hilarious, as long as Mandy stays safe and ends up inside eventually.

blue
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
So I went out to look. My LACEY was sitting trapped inside! :D Of course, all the cat treats, tuna and other treats were gone.

Gosh, this is hilarious, as long as Mandy stays safe and ends up inside eventually.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing2.gif

I do hope you get Mandy back sooner then later, but thats just funny.

Medusa
05-03-2009, 05:53 AM
I want her to be safe, of course, but it's hilarious to log on and see what she's done next. :)

pomtzu
05-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I agree with Mary - this is so funny. I have to come here first to see what antics she is up to.
And poor Lacey must have wondered what the heck happened....:eek:
Mandy is having a grand old time at the expense of others. What a little stinker! :p

Freedom
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Marlin got me up for his usual 5 AM trip outside, and he stopped and looked at the trap. (He normally ignores it.) So I went over and sure enough, there was my very ticked off Mandy sitting inside! Oh her face said it all, she was P - O'd! lol.

Brought her in and set the trap in the spare room / sewing room, which has litter boxes and water in there ( it is a "cat" room, baby gate to keep the dogs out) and returned to bed. Not before I saw Chaplin, her partner in crime, hop the gate and go over to smell her.

Lated, after I got up and had my coffee (I am NOT a morning person!) I decided to tackle her. She had been meowing at me since I got up. I took the trap in the bathroom, got her out, clipped her nails, checked her over. She is fine, and no ticks! (My dogs are picking them up even in mthe back yard.) She did scrape her head trying to get out of the trap, nothing drastic, a bit of Vaseline and that will heal with time.

Set her free in the same room, closed the door, let her adjust some more. She hurried under the futon in there.

Mandy's little walk about adventure is OVER! Whew!

Thanks so much for all the support, PT is wonderful.

Medusa
05-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I wish I could've seen Mandy's facial expression inside the trap. I'm glad she's safe and sound, though, and back where she belongs. Whew! :)

kuhio98
05-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Yay! I'm glad she's home.

Bet, you are going to be given dirty looks for a few days. :D

pomtzu
05-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Thank goodness!!!!!

I'll bet she's gonna be one p.o.'ed pussy for a while. :p

snowbelle15
05-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Great news!! I'm glad she's back home. :D

phesina
05-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Wonderful news! Welcome home, dearest Mandy! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
WOOHOO!

Would have loved to see her po'd face! Mandy, that's what you get for messin' with your mom's head while she was setting things up! :D

She loves you, sweetie - that's why she did all that.

Let yourself be loved and I hope you settle back into being home soon. :love:

kb2yjx
05-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Sandie!!! I am a little late in reading the thread, but when I read that another one of your cats was in the trap, I could not help but laugh!!! I am SO GLAD that Mandy is back INSIDE!!! No more adventures, PLEASE Mandy!!! I am going to light a candle of THANKS!!!

rg_girlca
05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm so happy to hear that Mandy was finally caught and that she had no injuries or ticks. I bet she's not laughing at you now.

pomtzu
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Sandie!!! I am a little late in reading the thread, but when I read that another one of your cats was in the trap, I could not help but laugh!!! I am SO GLAD that Mandy is back INSIDE!!! No more adventures, PLEASE Mandy!!! I am going to light a candle of THANKS!!!

No - that was one of her DOGS that originally got trapped. That makes it even funnier...:D

Laura's Babies
05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
WELCOME HOME MANDY!!!!!!

I am doing the HAPPY DANCE!!

Taz_Zoee
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I have been following this hoping Mandy would be found and then hoping she'd be caught.
Thank goodness she is safely back home.

Note to Mandy: Please don't do this again. Hopefully you realized how good you have it there and do not need to explore the great outdoors anymore.

catmandu
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
We are so glad that Mandys home :love::love: after leading her Meeowmie on a wild goose chase for the past few days.
:):):)
That reminds me of the time that the Animal Welfare lent me a Humane Trap to catch Pouncer Roccalno, and over a week I caught every stray Cat but her, and had to ser some very irritated Cats free!!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
We are so happy Mnadys home!!!
:cool:

moosmom
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I have been waiting for this news for sooo long!!! Thank you Sandie for not giving up on her.

The little bugger. Her adventure's over. LOL:p

Moesha
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
YAY!! I am so glad that Mandy is back inside safe and sound! I'm so glad that the trap idea worked.

Cinder & Smoke
05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
My LACEY was sitting trapped inside! :D
Of course, all the cat treats, tuna and other treats were gone.

... that was one of her DOGS that originally got trapped.
That makes it even funnier ... :D

OMG!
:o

I didn't really pay attention to the Name - I just *assumed* it was one
of the KATkids
that felt the need for a treat or two.

Just now realized she'd trapped her own DAWG! :eek:

:D

jenluckenbach
05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
HOORAY for Mandy, safe at home. :D :D

And a comment for Lacey......:rolleyes: Silly Pupster! :p

Pinot's Mom
05-03-2009, 08:46 PM
WELCOME HOME, MANDY!

don't do it again!!;)

cassiesmom
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Welcome back, Mandy! And Lacey, please don't go in the trap again :eek:

lvpets2002
05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
:love: Woo Hoo Mandy your home now.. I will bet you wont do that again.. Meowmom was so worried about you.. So was all of us PT'rs.. Glad your home & all is good.. Stay indoors ok..

Vermontcat
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I've been following this thread and I am happy to hear that Mandy is safely back inside where she belongs.:)
That is too funny that one of your dogs got caught in the trap instead of her.:D

GILL
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Great news, yea she be POed for a while, at lest you she is safe. Look at this way she's TICKED OFF becouse she went out and got caught. My Patches wouold get ticked off if I went out twice in one day. She would stay that way for days and not come near me.

pomtzu
05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Hey Sandie - how is Mandy doing? Is she settling back in okay? (little stinker)! :p

Freedom
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Mandy is well. I was concerned that she may hang out by the door and try to escape; she is not interested.

She is calmer than before. I guess being outside wasn't all the fun the she thought it would be! :p