PDA

View Full Version : Feral cats

Redd
09-25-2002, 07:12 PM
At our friends barn they have atleast 15 cats. They all just kind of show up. Well, someof them are very friendly and love to be petted, while the others wont go anywhere near people. We would like to find homes for as many of them as we can, but nobody wants a cat that may bite/scratch out of fear. Does anyone have any ideas how to get closer to them? Its going to be difficult since there are so many. I will post pictures of them soon, they are gorgeous. Thanks!

toughCookie
09-25-2002, 08:57 PM
try posting in cat resuce... and good luck to you and all the sweet kitties!

moosmom
09-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Redd,

Feral cats are very difficult to place in good homes because they do not trust humans. And like you said, some of them won't let you near them. If a feral cat has kittens, she passes onto them her distrust of humans. I have heard of older feral cats being socialized, but it is rare and takes ALOT of patience and time.

In order for feral kittens to become sociable enough to be placed in homes, they need to be taken away from their mother at 6-8 weeks of age. I've rescued feral kittens who were 12 weeks old and it took a while for them to come around. It was very challenging and well worth it!!

I wish you luck in finding them homes. You are a special person for wanting to try.

AvaJoy
09-26-2002, 09:53 PM
It is very important for these cats to be neutered. Aside from limiting the feral cat population, it will improve their dispositions so that socializing can begin. If these cats are truly feral, it is a long haul. I do TNR (trap/neuter/release) and have tamed one of the ferals who was under a year old. It takes patience and a lot of time devoted to being as close to the cat as possible, talking/singing/reading aloud so the kitty becomes accustomed to you and eventually trusts your touch. I would sing and read to Muskrat (tortie) while holding my hand still in her cage, waiting for her to decide when she felt safe enough to seek out my touch. Forcing oneself on a cat never works . . . it only creates stress and anxiety for them.

It was worth every hour spent when Muskrat finally approached my hand and let me pet her for the first time . . . :D . . . best of luck to you in working with and finding homes for the barn kitties!:)