PDA

View Full Version : Summer shelter

pomtzu
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
A lot of you know that I made my outside resident stray, Sherbie, a winter shelter this past year. It was a big success, and he put it to good use. Now that the weather is getting warmer (darn hot!), he isn't using it of course. However, I'm sure he'll take advantage of it on rainy days.

What to put in it now? Obviously the comforter and self warming pad that's in there now will be way too warm and uncomfortable. Would hay or straw for the summer be appropriate, and will it attract mice and bugs? :eek:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

lvpets2002
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
:) Yes I found out the hard way = Hay will attract Mice.. Now if you go to Walmart & buy Pine Shavings = that does great for my dogs.. It should be ok for your kitty as well.. It will keep out the bugs & all mice.. The bag (large) of Pine Shavings is around $6.00.. It will be in the dog section.. Look on the top shelves.. The bags are bigg..

pomtzu
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
:) Yes I found out the hard way = Hay will attract Mice.. Now if you go to Walmart & buy Pine Shavings = that does great for my dogs.. It should be ok for your kitty as well.. It will keep out the bugs & all mice.. The bag (large) of Pine Shavings is around $6.00.. It will be in the dog section.. Look on the top shelves.. The bags are bigg..

Thanks - I know just what you mean. I was going to use pine for his winter house, but decided he would need something warmer. Duh - where's my head today??? - I should have thought of that right away!

lvpets2002
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
:) Yes I used Hay one year && it got to where the dogs would not go into their houses.. Well a friend said have you checked for mice & I said no.. Well come to find out that is what happened mice & other small bugs & ect was all into the hay.. Well I dump & cleaned the dog houses & put in Pine Shavings.. From there on out I am devoted to Pine Shavings.. No Dust - No Bugs && No Mice.. Also it keeps the smell fresh..

catmandu
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
ONE PLACE WHERE I FIND GREAT THINGS FOR OUTDOOR SHELTERS IS THE AMITY AND SALVATION ARMY IS THE SALVATION ARMY AND AMITY.
A USED EXERCISE MAT WORKS WELL AND CLEANS WELL AND IS NOT USUALLLY MORE THAN 3 DOLLARS!!!
:cool::cool::cool:

smokey the elder
05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Cedar might be OK, too; it smells nice and repels bugs.

lvpets2002
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
:) Yes Cedar Shavings is good too.. Really I like to mix the two for the dog houses..
Cedar might be OK, too; it smells nice and repels bugs.