PDA

View Full Version : New strain of flu in Mexico and parts of the U.S.

cassiesmom
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I heard on the news about this "swine flu" strain affecting Mexico and cases appearing in California and Texas --- Husky Mom, Richard, everyone who lives in Mexico and Calif.- are you okay? I'm praying you don't catch it.

Karen
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
It seems to be very dangerous, as it is a combination of swine flue, avian flu and the human flu. Everyone everywhere be very careful and wash your hands a lot, especially after dealing with the public. It can be transmitted human to human, so Wash your hands, everyone!

There are cases now in New York, Ohio, and now on both coasts of Canada, and in New Zealand.

Catty1
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Yep - six cases in Canada so far.

But - the latest news I heard is that only the cases in Mexico involve fatalities, and they don't know why. The Canadian cases are mild, so far.

slick
04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
It's hit British Columbia - two cases in the Lower Mainland but they won't detail exactly where.

My brother just got back from a 6 month stay in Mexico (south of Cancun) and he's coming to visit me on Thursday. Mind you he was no where near Mexico City so I think he's safe.

Medusa
04-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I try not to panic at such news but my son lives in CA and his immune system has been compromised due to that bad infection he had last year. There has been one case reported in Ohio that I know of.

Hellow
04-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Well, at least the 11 kids in the US that originally got infected didnt die.

smokey the elder
04-27-2009, 07:14 AM
The pattern of known cases suggests that carriers traveled by air.

The virus may be further mutating to a less deadly strain (we can only hope!) than the one that killed the people in Mexico. This flu is so odd because it roared to life at the tag end of the "usual" flu season.

Moesha
04-27-2009, 07:14 AM
I have a very good friend who I am with almost every day whose husband leaves for a week in Mexico today. He goes for work. His last job would take him to Mexico City, but I think that this time he has to go somewhere near Acapulco. I'll have to ask her this morning. I sure hope he doesn't bring it back to this area.

Laura's Babies
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I find the whole thing odd... The bird flu, swine flu and human flu somehow merged out of the blue and right here when the worst of the flu season is over? And none of the people had anything in common? Just a bit odd to me.

Donnaj4962
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I am NOT saying that I had the "swine flu", but I was down last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with a bad flu bug. The usual symptoms, plus a high fever that finally broke Monday night. I was very achy even through the weekend, feeling like I had been hit by a truck! My doctor told me there is a bad strain of flu going around (never mentioned swine flu) and that I needed to watch for dehydration.

By the way, I had a flu shot (as always) this year, but apparently this strain was not covered by that.

I have a second job at a woman's clothing store, and I think I may have gotten it from touching all of the hangers, clothes, and money transactions.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was awful....

pomtzu
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I heard on the news this morning, that officials are speculating that there have been no deaths in the U.S. since it is weakening by being spread human to human, where the Mexican deaths were from people who had been in contact with affected animals.
Also, the kids in NY that have it had just returned from Spring Break vacation in Cancun, so it looks like it's not just in Mexico City afterall.

Husky_mom
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
thank you for thinking of us... ((hugs))...

we are ok... so far... and hope to stay that way... hubby has been vaccinated as he`s in the middle of everything down there... hoping he doesn`t gets it or doesn`t gets to be a carrier as he comes next weekend...

up here so far we`ve got no new cases... tehre were about 18 or so.. but back from december... and now they are relating them to this new ordeal...

there have been over 1000 cases.. and about 100 deaths.. :(...

supposedly... as what I`ve read... a pig can mutate flu strains... so he can get flu viruses from birds and humans and mutate them into new "versions" that can go back to humans.. :rolleyes:..

schools have been closed until may 6th... all public venues have closed also... movies, recreation parks, malls, theaters...etc...

let`s hope this ends soon and with no more casualties...

lvpets2002
04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
:) Thank You Isabelle for Reporting in that you & the family is all ok.. Oh I thought & worried about you & family all weekend.. Tell Hubby & you all make sure to wear your mask & do what the medics say.. Keep us informed ok.. Its a bad bad virus.. I am so saddened to read of all the deaths.. God Bless You All..
thank you for thinking of us... ((hugs))...

we are ok... so far... and hope to stay that way... hubby has been vaccinated as he`s in the middle of everything down there... hoping he doesn`t gets it or doesn`t gets to be a carrier as he comes next weekend...

up here so far we`ve got no new cases... tehre were about 18 or so.. but back from december... and now they are relating them to this new ordeal...

there have been over 1000 cases.. and about 100 deaths.. :(...

supposedly... as what I`ve read... a pig can mutate flu strains... so he can get flu viruses from birds and humans and mutate them into new "versions" that can go back to humans.. :rolleyes:..

schools have been closed until may 6th... all public venues have closed also... movies, recreation parks, malls, theaters...etc...

let`s hope this ends soon and with no more casualties...

Husky_mom
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
as if it wasnŽt enough.. hubby just called to say they got evacuated from the building as there just had a quake...

we donŽt have quakes here... so he called to say he was fine but it felt awful... poor him :(... he jokingly told me there were a lot of lobsters on the street...:rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Isabelle: I will keep the thoughts and prayers coming that you and your family stay safe. An earthquake?? OMG!! What is this world coming to?:confused::eek:

lvpets2002
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
:eek: Oh Crap Isabelle= A EarthQuake .. OMG thats just Horrible.. You & your family stay safe ok.. Lots of Prayers & PT Vibes being sent..

Husky_mom
04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
until may 6th.. many states have closed schools and now my state has also come to that... starting @ 2pm TODAY...

all mass events are also cancelled... the national olympics that was scheduled for this week was also cancelled (my dad is the president of the bowling)... so until further notice... weŽll be secluded... weŽll wait to see if works are also suspended...

Karen
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh, Isabel, we will be keeping you and your husband and your community in our prayers. Thank you for keeping us updated!

Barbara
04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
The news have been here all over the place as well. The virus is a new mutation that managed to cross the barrier between pigs and humans. Flu viruses are very flexible, so they mutate often and of course it becomes very dangerous when they can cross that barrier.
It happened with the avian flu before but pigs are more likely even as they are mammals and closer to us than birds. This is not the first and definitely not the last flu virus to be introduced from another species.
Up to now there is no vaccination as the virus is new. The development of a vaccine will take some months. While WHO recommends flu vaccination especially for the elderly, this existing vaccination will not yet help against this new virus.
However we heard here that the flu caused by the new virus responds well to modern flu meds.
We heard that even in Mexico it is not yet clear whether all of the people who died were hit by the new virus. Per year some 100.000 people die in the world of just "normal" flu- which is bad enough.
So- it is all very sad and a reason for lots and lots of caution but it is not yet a reason to panic.
And Karen is right: we should wash our hands, maybe not shake them (a German problem ;)) and avoid masses of people where the droplets can travel very well from person to person.
Sending all my best wishes to Isabel and family who are so close to the place where this virus started it's dangerous journey.

carole
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes another thing to scare the jeepers out of everyone, a group of high school students visiting Mexico on a school language trip are thought to have come down with Swine flu in New Zealand,they are in isolation and our country is taking all the precautions necessary, and everyone on that flight is being traced and will be isolated, unfortunately some of them are going to be hard to contact, hopefully through the media they can be, i just hope they have not spread it by now.

The government tells us we are in a good position to fight this flu, with plenty supplies of Tamiflu, i sure hope they are right.

Thinking of everyone who is at risk here and overseas in the United States,especially you Husky's mom and her family.

Let us all be safe and well.

carole
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes another thing to scare the jeepers out of everyone, a group of high school students visiting Mexico on a school language trip are thought to have come down with Swine flue in New Zealand,they are in isolation and our country is taking all the precautions necessary, and everyone on that flight is being traced and will be isolated, unfortunately some of them are going to be hard to contact, hopefully through the media they can be, i just hope they have not spread it by now.

The government tells us we are in a good position to fight this flue, with plenty supplies of Tamiflue, i sure hope they are right.

Thinking of everyone who is at risk here and overseas in the United States,especially you Husky's mom and her family.,and also Killearns Kitties, as it is in Scotland as well.

Let us all be safe and well.

smokey the elder
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Poor Mexico. Now they have just had an earthquake. What is this, whale on Mexico week? I hope everyone stays safe and well.

ChrisH
04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh, Isabel, we will be keeping you and your husband and your community in our prayers.
Me too. {{hugs}}

It's reached Europe, Spain and the UK.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8020552.stm

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for updating us Isabel!! I truly hope this flu will not come anything near to you!!

Today a few passengers, who came back with a flight from Mexico, were taken to quarantine because they had a fever. Let's hope it is NOT that mexican flu....

lizbud
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I read a good article about this flu flareup. It is ,they believe, Mother
Nature biteing us back for raising hogs in the "factory farm" inviroment.

They work like large petri dishes for new germ production.:(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/swine-flu-outbreak----nat_b_191408.html

Medusa
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Prayers are going up for you and yours, Isabel, that you will be safe from harm of any and all kinds. :love:

phesina
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for being in touch and updating us, Isabel. Prayers for you and your family and all of us everywhere to stay safe and well.

Husky_mom
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks for the good thoughts..

IŽll be off maybe till the 6th or 7th... IŽll try get some internet signal so i log in and update whatever...hopefully better news...

well... just wanted to le tyou all know the reason on my missing for a few days..

thanks again for thinking of us... very much appreciated...:).. ((hugs))...

Moesha
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I was with my friend this morning when her husband called her from Houston to say that they had canceled the trip due to the swine flu threat and he and two other men were waiting on standby flights to come back home.

carole
04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I just saw our local news, and so far it is influenza type A, the test results won't be back until end of the week from Melbourne, so we will then know for sure if it is swine flu in NZ, but considering the kids were in Mexico, i think the chances are pretty high, they still have not located everyone on that flight either, so that is a big worry, they could be spreading it everywhere, let us hope it is not the swine flu down under.

Again thinking of everyone worldwide who is affected by this serious threat.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Prayers on the way for everyone effected by this in all countries. I look for it to get worse in the US because of the lack of border controls on all our borders. If it spreads in the US, it will just be a matter of time before it gets worse in Canada. :(

I certainly hope we help Mexico and Canada get all the medicine and help they need. :love:

Donnaj4962
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Breaking news from a local TV station.... one confirmed case of swine flu in northern Indiana. They said it was a teenage male.

I live in northern Indiana, the northeast corner. Not sure where they are classifying "northern" Indiana.

No one here seems to be panicking, just being cautious. One friend of a friend has gone overboard and says that we should be stocking up on all supplies because we soon won't be getting anything from Mexico! Oh my.... how sad to be that type of person.

Isabelle, please keep us posted on the situation.

blue
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=-13.923404,-151.875&spn=177.374682,360&z=1) for the swine flu.

carole
04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Bad News for NZ, it is swine flu, the test results came back with three of them positive and they are assuming the rest are too, this is not good to hear, i must admit i feel a little scared about it all, it also will have a huge impact on our tourism industry which we heavily rely on.

Please put some prayers this way, that it does not spread, and we can contain it,i am hoping they can contact all of those on the plane and soon.

Thinking again of everyone affected by this and hoping everyone will be ok.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Breaking news from a local TV station.... one confirmed case of swine flu in northern Indiana. They said it was a teenage male.

I live in northern Indiana, the northeast corner. Not sure where they are classifying "northern" Indiana.

No one here seems to be panicking, just being cautious. One friend of a friend has gone overboard and says that we should be stocking up on all supplies because we soon won't be getting anything from Mexico! Oh my.... how sad to be that type of person.

Isabelle, please keep us posted on the situation.

On CNN yesterday one of their doctor consultants said fruits and veggies from Mexico should be safe to eat. Just be sure and wash everything first.

pomtzu
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Now the Univ of Delaware has reported 4 probable cases. The Governor is holding a news conference later this morning with additional info. This is getting too close for comfort - only about 30 miles north of here.
And now there has been one death in the U.S. too.

Pam
04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Now the Univ of Delaware has reported 4 probable cases. The Governor is holding a news conference later this morning with additional info. This is getting too close for comfort - only about 30 miles north of here.
And now there has been one death in the U.S. too.

I heard that too this morning Ellie. My daughter lives about 10 minutes from the University of Delaware. I will miss the news conference but hope to see it covered on this evening's new. My heart breaks for the family of the little child that has died. I hope they get this under control and quickly.

lvpets2002
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
:( Sad to say the first Texas Death was Monday Night.. A 24 month old baby boy from Brownsville.. That is on the border of TX & MX.. The family had been in MX for the weekend & just come back across.. So Sad So Sad..:(

Edwina's Secretary
04-29-2009, 12:57 PM
How many had the flu vaccination last fall?

Pinot's Mom
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
"Sad to say the first Texas Death was Monday Night.. A 24 month old baby boy from Brownsville.. That is on the border of TX & MX.. The family had been in MX for the weekend & just come back across.. So Sad So Sad.. "

Actually the toddler was from Mexico and came to Brownsville for treatment. Below quote from the AP:

"Virulent swine flu spread to 10 U.S. states from coast to coast Wednesday and swept deeper into Europe, extending its global reach as President Barack Obama mourned the first U.S. death, a Mexican toddler who had traveled with his family to Texas. Total American cases surged to nearly 100, and Obama said wider school closings might be necessary.

The World Health Organization said the outbreak is moving closer to becoming a full-scale pandemic.

Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the organization's top flu expert, told reporters in Geneva that the latest developments are moving the agency closer to raising its pandemic alert to phase 5, indicating widespread human-to-human transmission. That's just one step below level 6, a full-fledged pandemic."

This is not to be messed with. Isabel; I hope your whole family is OK - prayers to stay safe!!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
How many had the flu vaccination last fall?

They were saying on the news yesterday that that flu shot probably won't protect anyone. It was not for this strain of the flu. :( and it only protects for a few months anyway. :(:(

carole
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I heard there are 96 cases in NZ, that is way too many for my liking, however on the positive side those who have had it, were mild cases and have recovered well, so that is always good news.

blue
04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Swine influenza - update 5

29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (13), Germany (3), Israel (2), New Zealand (3), Spain (4) and the United Kingdom (5).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

carole
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for posting that Blue, not what i heard on the tv this morning, but maybe i got it wrong, sure hope so, well there are only 3 confirmed lab cases here, phew I like those odds a lot better, hope it stays that way, perhaps the others are just not confirmed yet, will watch the news tonight for an update,hope everyone is well.

blue
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for posting that Blue, not what i heard on the tv this morning, but maybe i got it wrong, sure hope so, well there are only 3 confirmed lab cases here, phew I like those odds a lot better, hope it stays that way, perhaps the others are just not confirmed yet, will watch the news tonight for an update,hope everyone is well.

The Media is hoping to drive panick to boost their ratings. "Never waste a good crisis".

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
The Media is hoping to drive panick to boost their ratings. "Never waste a good crisis".

I really don't think that's the case. From what I've seen, they are only reporting announcements as given by officials, and don't appear to be sensationalizing the issue. I'd rather be informed, than not!

Medusa
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I get blue's point, though. I read that 250,000 - 500,000 people contract seasonal flu every year. How many of those result in death, I don't know, but the number of cases are much higher than this swine flu that's currently being reported.

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I get blue's point, though. I read that 250,000 - 500,000 people contract seasonal flu every year. How many of those result in death, I don't know, but the number of cases are much higher than this swine flu that's currently being reported.

True, but I think there's a lot of concern since there is no vaccine for it yet, as there is for other flu strains.

Medusa
04-30-2009, 09:25 AM
True, but I think there's a lot of concern since there is no vaccine for it yet, as there is for other flu strains.

I know, it really is rather scary. However, back in the 70's when the swine flu was supposed to have hit us hard, they told us to get vaccinated but there wasn't a vaccine for it back then either. I'm keeping an eye on it and I'm even fussier than usual now about physical contact w/people but what else can we do? The one point that I wish more people would take to heart is when you're sick, stay home. I can't tell you how many times my nail tech is sneezing and coughing and she's holding my hands while she works on my nails. I've asked her why she didn't stay home and she said that she needs the money. I understand that, truly; I'm not independently wealthy but missing a couple days of work won't send her into bankruptcy but if this flu is deadly, it could prevent deaths if she stayed home.

Puckstop31
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM
IIRC, I read somewhere that about 36,000 people die each year in the US from the flu. Often the flu itself is not the killer, but the complications that develop from it. Also, again IIRC, most of the people who die from the flu and/or complications from it are older, very young or have compromised immune systems. For instance, a AIDS patient who contracts the flu has a much higher chance of dying from it. Does that count as a AIDS or flu death?

Personally, I do not think it is an accident that the media is going ape over this and, IMO, blowing it WAY out of proportion. Further, we should keep a watchful eye on Big Nanny. They never want a "good" crisis to go to waste ya know. LOL

Did anybody notice that because of this "crisis", Kathleen Sebelius's confirmation was rushed through? Even though Health and Human Services (as Unconstitutional as it is...) was handling things fine.

Medusa
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Did anybody notice that because of this "crisis", Kathleen Sebelius's confirmation was rushed through? Even though Health and Human Services (as Unconstitutional as it is...) was handling things fine.

Perhaps someone was enchanted w/her.

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
IIRC, I read somewhere that about 36,000 people die each year in the US from the flu. Often the flu itself is not the killer, but the complications that develop from it. Also, again IIRC, most of the people who die from the flu and/or complications from it are older, very young or have compromised immune systems. For instance, a AIDS patient who contracts the flu has a much higher chance of dying from it. Does that count as a AIDS or flu death?

Personally, I do not think it is an accident that the media is going ape over this and, IMO, blowing it WAY out of proportion. Further, we should keep a watchful eye on Big Nanny. They never want a "good" crisis to go to waste ya know. LOL

Gotta disagree with you on this one Puck!

Personally, I don't see where it's being blown out of proportion. I feel we are being informed, and since NOBODY had a flu shot that would be effective against this since no vaccine exists for this strain, then we need to be informed. I don't think anyone has pushed any panic button - do you? First of all, what most people think of as the regular flu season has passed, therefore they might be more lax in the preventative measures they would normally take, and be potentially more susceptible. Of course folks should practice sensible preventatives year round, but does that happen? I don't think so. At least with the reporting of this outbreak, they might be a little more cautious. And I agree - most flu deaths probably aren't from the flu itself - but if you can avoid the flu in the first place - then your odds of survival are greater, aren't they?
I am "older" and also have a compromised immune system, so IF I should be so unfortunate to get it, it would probably be a lot more serious than if YOU got it. I'm not in any kind of panic, and I'm not going to lock myself in my house and not go anywhere, but I do appreciate knowing what's happening around me. It's just common sense that the public should be informed without causing undue alarm, and that's all I'm seeing so far.

blue
04-30-2009, 11:39 AM
The MSM blew SARs, West Nile Virus, the Bird Flu, all out of proportion so people would be informed, IE higher ratings.

You want to be informed, check here (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/) and here (http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/).

Karen
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually in this case, Puckstop is more at risk than you. It is not the usual flu where people who are very young, old, or have compromised immune systems are at risk. It is people in the 20-40 age range - those with good, strong immune systems. WIth this flu, the danger is that it provokes such a strong response from the a healthy immune system that everything gets inflamed, and that's the danger - fluid building up, pneumonia and death.

That is one of the reasons the World Health Organization is so very concerned, as that is a population society needs - to take of the ones at the other ends of the spectrum!

And we all, who have watched journalism for any time know - if it bleed, it leads. Nothing is quite as exciting and newsworthy as possible death!

Pam
04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Nothing is quite as exciting and newsworthy as possible death!

Agreed... That and the sensational stories like the Octomom and the Craigslist murderer. :rolleyes: I am not minimizing this flu, but am not impressed with the way it is being reported.

Puckstop31
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Pom, Karen.... I hear ya.

Just be wary as to what is actually done to "protect" us. You know me and how I roll. LOL

As for me personally... What will be, will be. I'll just keep living my life the way I am lead by the Lord. When my time comes, I am ready.

Pam
04-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll just keep living my life the way I am lead by the Lord. When my time comes, I am ready.

Amen! ;)

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
The MSM blew SARs, West Nile Virus, the Bird Flu, all out of proportion so people would be informed, IE higher ratings.

You want to be informed, check here (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/) and here (http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/).

Thanks anyway, but I really don't have the time or desire to seek out everything that is being reported. :rolleyes:

Medusa
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanx, blue. I bookmarked both links. Great to have. :)

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
As for me personally... What will be, will be. I'll just keep living my life the way I am lead by the Lord. When my time comes, I am ready.

Hey - I'll drink to that.

However, I am also a firm believer that ignorance is NOT bliss ! ;)

Medusa
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
ignorance is NOT bliss ! ;)

I second that, Ellie. A late friend of mine used to drive really fast and w/out a seat belt and she'd say "God will protect me". I told her that God gives us common sense, too, and that she'd better start using it. I think it's good to be informed about the swine flu and anything else that affects our lives but to be overly concerned at this point is unwise.

Puckstop31
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey - I'll drink to that.

However, I am also a firm believer that ignorance is NOT bliss ! ;)

Quite. :)

No problems, of course, with being in the know. I just fear ANY time Big Nanny comes trying to "save" us from the next big evil.

Puckstop31
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I second that, Ellie. A late friend of mine used to drive really fast and w/out a seat belt and she'd say "God will protect me". I told her that God gives us common sense, too, and that she'd better start using it. I think it's good to be informed about the swine flu and anything else that affects our lives but to be overly concerned at this point is unwise.

Good analogy. LOL

Its like that famous story about the guy on his roof in a flood.... The water is rising and a boat comes to help him. "No thanks, God will save me." Next, a helicopter comes. "No thanks, God will save me." He eventually drowns. Standing before his Creator, he says, "Lord, why did you not save me?" God says, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter....."

:)

Things can be done to help us. Things should be done to help contain whatever this bug ends up being. We just need to be wary as to WHAT is done to keep us "safe". Further, I am not saying that anything WILL be done that is out of line (IMO) during this event. But anymore, my "spidey sense" goes all tingly when a "emergency" happens. Because "you can't let a good crisis go to waste."

War and the moral equivilant of war has been the tool despots have used for millenia to control people and take away their God given liberty. So just keep on living and keep your eyes and ears open.

smokey the elder
04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
People can minimize their own individual risks by taking the precautions outlined (ooh, personal responsibility!) At least for now (strictly IMO), the only difference between this flu's spreading pattern and the garden variety winter strains is the timing. This flu is coming at the tag end of the "usual" Northern Hemisphere flu season. It's too early to tell if it's more, less or approximately as dangerous (from a statistical standpoint) as the "garden variety" flu.

It is tempting to consider that the virus mutated in that little Mexican boy they are calling "patient zero". I guess he lives near a pig farm, but the animals tested negative for the particular strain. So he either "grew" it inside him, or got it from somewhere else.

The big difference between now and the swine flu scare of the 70s is there is a good test to determine the presence of the particular H1N1 or whatever strain this one is.

carole
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
yes well there are certainly more than 3 cases in NZ, I saw it briefly last night, but missed the actual numbers, i guess it is spreading, however we are taking all the precautions necessary here,so i am pleased to see that,many people are in isolation.

I also remember the big scare with bird flu, but then it never reached NZ, where as it has with the swine flu.

I think we all have to take responsibility for ourselves and take the precautions we can, i have made sure my daughter has one of those bottles of antibacterial hand washes that you can use without water in her school bag, mind you i probably should have done it way before now.

Here's hoping we can contain this nasty virus before it gets well out of hand.

Husky_mom
05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
ok.. IŽm back... almost.. hehe...

schools are still closed till monday... up here weŽve had so far just 4 confirmed cases but no deaths... hubby came and was ok... he left today... i came to my parents to update a lil...;)

here there were only a few places closed due to it... as opposed to Mexico city.. where only universities will open tomorrow... and some resturants as well as some public places.. but with a few restrictions... between each people there must be a minumum of 2mts... LOl.. yeah right.. so if you want to go to the molvies you have to leave like 2-3 seats to each side front, back and sides...

and preschools and elementary.. will open till monday... so IŽm stuck off work... I can go out and such... taking precautions but no need to panic... at all... so IŽll try to log in any chance I come back down here... and if not until monday IŽll be back to normal logging mode ;)

carole
05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for checking in, glad you are safe and well, fingers and all paws crossed here you and your family,friends will continue to be well., take care.:love: