PDA

View Full Version : Kia - Kimmy & Andy's FurPup - INJURED & Treated - Prayers Answered 4/25/09

Cinder & Smoke
04-25-2009, 07:51 PM
:eek:

Kia (on the LEFT in this Kia + Chipper snappie) >>>

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_2300.jpg

Kia had a boo-boo this evening and
has been rushed to the Emergency Dept
at Michigan State University
College Of Veterinary Medicine in East
Lansing, Michigan.

She is OK / Stable ... but pretty 'sore'! :(

Wha-Hoppined?? :confused:

The Family (2 and 4-Leggers) were gathered for a BBQ (complete with
occasional RAIN) and all were havin Phunn ...
Kia, Brother Chipper, Cousin Shamus, and neighbor FurPup Jake were all
playing a rousing game of *chase me / catch me / TAG / You're IT when
all four dashed past a house window ... with only three returning.
Kia limped into view with :eek: BLOOD streaming from her nose.

First Aid applied, GranPaw Smith drafted to drive the Ambulance/bus -
with Miz Kimmy holding Kia in the back seat - they headed to MSU Vet
Hospital.

The ER Gang have stabilized Kia (the bleeding is stopped) and she's been
given a pre-op Blood Test and has been given some pain killing Morphine.

She's "in line" for a full facial X-Ray study ... the temporary holdup being that
the Small Animal ER is just *packed* with emergency cases - it's going to be an hour
before the X-Rays are done and read (~~9:00 pm EDT).

The PRELIMINARY diagnosis is that she somehow managed to :eek:
*Break her JAW* - how is unknown.
All four of the Pups were playing very nicely and running around at break-neck speeds -
Whatever happened happened in the blink of an eye - and only Kia seems to have been injured.
The other three had NO blood on them ... and none of them acted angry or upset.

Exactly WHAT is *broken* isn't known yet ... could be upper / lower jaw, nose, facial bones, :confused:

I'll get an uppie-date from Kimmy as soon as they know somethinng more.

For now -
a BIGG Batch of Pet Talk Prayers
are needed for Kia, Kimmy, and Andy!

K9karen
04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Holy Crap! I nearly fainted when I saw this, Phred! Poor Kia, our precious blue eyed girl. A gazillion prayers for Kia and Kimmie and Andy. They must be beside themselves. I'll be anxiously waiting for an update. I'm so shocked, I'm stunned and terribly worried! :(

Taz_Zoee
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh my goodness! I just checked in real quick before leaving the house. So I will be thinking of Kia and Kimmy. I hope everything will be all fixed up soon and poor Kia is back on the mend. I will check in as soon as I get home to see if there is an update.

Cinder & Smoke
04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
:)
:)

OH HAPPIE DAZE!!

Somebody musta *Prayed* really FAST!!

Kia is (almost) *FIXED* - or as *fixed* as she can be tonight ...

X-Rays showed a Hairline Crack / break in her Upper Jaw - just behind the big K9 tooth.

There was a Surgeon called in for another patient, and he studied Kia's x-rays ---
said there was NOTHINNG that could be done surgically that wouldn't just make
things worse. So she's to be on SOFT Foods for three weeks or so and
*NO* Ruff~Housing allowed.

She'll have antibiotics and pain pills to slow her down a bit;
then some TIME will let the jaw heal itself.

They will pull the just installed catheter and start to *wake her up* from
being anesthetized for the x-rays.
She's headed for HOME as soon as she can *walk* out of the ER Department on her own.

THANKS, God!!

;)

*LabLoverKEB*
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Phred, THANK YOU so much for posting this, and keeping us updated, you are AWESOME!

I'm so relieved/glad that our own sweet Kia is going to be okay! Lots and lots of prayers & :love: on the way for a pain-free, speedy recovery for miss Kia!!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened:( but I'm glad to hear that it's not as bad as first thought and that she won't need surgery and that she'll be able to go home soon.:) I'll continue to keep Kia in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon Kia.

Karen
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh, goodness, poor Kia! Soft foods and even worse - No rough housing? You have my sympathy, pretty girl!

Catty1
04-25-2009, 10:38 PM
*WHEW* SO glad she will be ok!

Daisy and Delilah
04-25-2009, 11:21 PM
What a scary situation this is. I am so glad Kia will be ok. We never know what to expect. Thoughts and prayers going out. Great job to those that got her transported, held, and fixed so quickly. Hugs to all!!:)

cyber-sibes
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Oh my! Well it sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse, thank God it wasn't. Keeping paws crossed, sending sibe vibes & pawrayers for Miss Kia!

luvofallhorses
04-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Wow how scary! :( I am so glad she's okay and has a speedy recovery.
(((hugs to you all & Kia))) :love:

captain
04-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Phew!!!!! Glad to read the happy uppy-date.
Thanks Phred for keeping us updated.

{{{hugs}} to Kym, Andy and Chipper.
{{{{gentle hugs and kissed}}}}} to Kia ...

ramanth
04-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Finally home. Thank you all for the prayers. :love:

Kia was officially discharged at 10 p.m. and I had to take my dad home so we spent a few hours there winding down.

Kia ate her dinner and took her meds like a champ. :) She's on Tramadol for pain and Clavamox as a preventative against infection in her nasal cavity.

Official discharge form said:

On presentation Kia was bright and alert. A small amount of brusing was noted on her mucuous membranes located at the level of her left maxillary 1st and 2nd premolars. She has mild left facial swelling that is causing squinting and enophthalmos (sunken globe) of her left eye. This is most likely due to pain and will resolve.

Skull radiographs were performed and a closed, non-displaced left maxillary fracture was found.

A consultation was obtained with Dr. Guiot (surgical resident) and his recommendation was to manage Kia conservatively with pain medications, antibotics, and soft food.

We're to keep Kia quiet and rested, and give her soft food for the next 3-4 weeks.

Should she show any signs of difficulty eating, vomiting, anorexia, or further discomfort, she'll need to go back for further diagnostics such as a CT.

Lots of prayers needed that she'll make a swift recovery. :love:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_8852.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_8856.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_8857.jpg

chocolatepuppy
04-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Oh no poor Kia!:( I didn't get a chance to pray, but that's a good thing right, not needed?;) Pawsitive thoughts for you Kia, get well fast!:)

beeniesmom
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Oh Poor Kia,
I just saw this. I'm glad you are home and better.
Looks like you have one sore snooter.
Beenie girl did something similar last week. She was running in the front yard and slammed face first into a tree. He face was red and she bled a little on the inside of her mouth (from her teeth hitting her lip) but was none the worse for wear after a few hours of lovies and ice.

Feel better soon.

Seravieve
04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Awww poor KIA! Glad to hear its not as bad as initially thought. Hopefully a couple weeks on some tasty soft food will be all it takes!

Sure would be scary to have a furkid show up will blood running from their face.. yikes!

Grace
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
So sorry to hear about Kia. Thank goodness you are just down the road from MSU!

Really glad she can be healed with just tincture of time, rest and soft food.

wolf_Q
04-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh my poor Kia. I worry about stuff like that happening to mine when they run full speed around the yard. I'm glad its nothing that requires surgery. Get feeling better soon Kia!

shais_mom
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
omgosh!
I'm so sorry to hear this!
I'm so glad she's going to be ok!
how scary!
our puppers sure know how to keep us on our toes!
Kia - you behave you have to be better for Findlay in a MONTH!

Vela
04-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't see this until just now. I am really glad Kia is okay. How scary. I love how they scare us half to death!

Hoping for a quick recovery for the Kia girl.

RedHedd
04-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Kimmy - I saw the post about this on Facebook. I'm glad Kia is home, resting and healing. All the best for a quick recovery.

gini
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Bless her heart - she looks so sad in her picture.

Thank goodness she is alright - but it must have scared the daylights out of you.

Rest now Kia and be a good girl and enjoy the soft foods - that's right - let them spoil you even more rotten!!:D

Cookiebaker
04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
SO Scary! And she does look so sad in her pictures, my heart is breaking for her and you. I hope she recovers quickly and heals perfectly. :(

boomersooner
04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh, poor baby...I glad things are better!! The hard part now will be keeping her still and quiet for 4 weeks!! Good luck!!! Give her a kiss from Boomer!

Ginger's Mom
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Aww, poor Kia, she looks so sad in her pictures. Prayers going out for a quick and easy recovery.

lizbud
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh Wow, I just now saw this news about Kia. Poor baby.:( She doesn't
look too happy in those pictures. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Wonder what
she ran into, or what ran into her? Rest up & start feeling better soon Kia.

cassiesmom
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Miss Kia -- Gentle hug to you and I hope the 4 weeks of soft food and taking it easy on the playing go really fast!

K9karen
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Awww... poor baby girl. You look so wiped out.
I hope you get better real quick. You'll be getting oodles of extra loving care. It'll be hard, sweetie, but no messing around for a while (hear that Chipper?) and soft food stuff. I'm so glad your boo boo wasn't more serious. You had everyone so scared. Gentle hugs to you, Kimmie, Andy and Chipper too.

DJFyrewolf36
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Ouch! Get well soon Kia! *gentle hugs*

ChrisH
04-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Oh, my ... I only just saw this, my heart stopped for a second when I saw the title.

Poor, poor Kia, so sorry you got hurt sweetie, prayers on the way from across the pond that you recover swiftly, fully and fast. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/petdoggy.gif

And big http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif for you, Kimmy and Andy, I can just imagine how scared and worried you must have been.

Cincy'sMom
04-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Hope Kia is recovering well and enjoying her "special" diet!

4 Dog Mother
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I just saw this - poor Kia! Poor Andy and Kimmie - trying to keep her calm and quiet for 3 weeks might be a bit much. Seeing my dog coming at me obviously injured would have freaked me out. I am glad things have turned out relatively okay and she should be better in a few weeks.

ramanth
04-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone! :love:

She's enjoying the wet food and hasn't refused a meal. Her water intake isn't that great though, so we baited it with chicken broth and she sucked down a full bowl. :)

She's been very good about resting and keeping quiet.

I'm hoping she'll be feeling well for Memorial Day. If she's back to her usual self, I think we'll bring her but restrict her time in the dog park. :)

Jags mom
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, and very glad it is not as bad as it could be. Your lucky to have a great momma to get you to the ER fast, I would immagine a little more roughhousing would have made everything worse. I sure hope the same situation doesnt happen to my guy as he nails trees all the time chasing Alaska. He cant quite turn as fast as she can. And good luck with keeping her quiet and relaxed, its so hard when you have a playful dog.

cyber-sibes
04-27-2009, 06:16 PM
glad to hear she's feeling better - she looked sooo forlorn in those pictures. Gentle snooter kissies!

K9soul
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh poor baby! :(. She looks woozy and maybe a bit sore in her pictures :(. Hoping she heals up quickly and is back to herself soon. I know this had to be quite a financial blow too. My thoughts are with Kia and the whole family ((hugs))

sabies
04-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Wow what an experience to go through. Kia and family I am thinking of you and hoping for a full recovery. Keep resting, Kia, you will be ok soon.

k9krazee
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Feel better soon, Pretty Girl :love:

Fett
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh poor baby! :(. She looks woozy and maybe a bit sore in her pictures :(. Hoping she heals up quickly and is back to herself soon. I know this had to be quite a financial blow too. My thoughts are with Kia and the whole family ((hugs))

Actually, that was the cheapest we've had to pay there out of the 4 times having to take a pet there. Got out under $500 this time. We just added it to the $2,400 bill we're already paying monthly on from when the cat was there in December. :rolleyes:

Kia seems to be doing OK. She's just lying around, not smacking her jaws as much as she was doing last night. Gave her the antibiotic around 12:30 and will dose her with more painkillers sometime soon before I head out for the day.

K9karen
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the update, Andy. Please give Kia gentle smoochies for me.

Pinot's Mom
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
AWWW...those pictures! Sweetie, it'll be OK - your family will take good care of you and make sure you don't get in any more boo-boos! Obey your doctor and get well soon! :love:

anna_66
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh poor little girl:( I can imagine how bad she was feeling after all that.
I'm glad to hear she's eating fine and taking all her meds.

More prayers headed her way for a speedy recovery.
(((HUGS))) to you all:love:

joycenalex
04-29-2009, 07:07 PM
oh wow...gotta love a vet er, but the cost is a wowsa...get better sweetie...

RobiLee
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Big hugs for Kia! I hope she is feeling much better.

Fett
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
oh wow...gotta love a vet er, but the cost is a wowsa...get better sweetie...

They do good work there, but the thing that bugs most locals is that they're a teaching hospital, where they're teaching college student to become vets, so you'd think they wouldn't charge as much as they do, because they charge more than vet offices do.....but again, they have equipment most vets don't have so we have to go there as needed.

Of the 4 pet visits there over the last few years, the total has been about $6,400.....always with payment plans because we never have that kind of extra money sitting around. :(

Cinder & Smoke
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Of the 4 pet visits there over the last few years,
the total has been about $6,400 ...
always with payment plans because
we never have that kind of extra money sitting around. :(

<<GASSSSP>> :eek:

But then ...
The cost of a FurKids Life ...

... PriceLess!! :D

MonicanHonda
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm glad puppy is okay!!! Michigan is a GREAT vet school. An expensive one too if you are applying out of state.... but I won't get into that. Lol But I'm glad she's doing good. She had a good school to help her. They have a lot of good medical technology there.

ramanth
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks again everyone! :love:

Just wanted to share that Kia is feeling a lot better. She's officially done with the pain meds and keeps trying to play with Chipper and Calypso. Now the fun part begins. :rolleyes::p:D

Still on soft food and attempting 'no play & rest'. Wish me luck. ;)

Grace
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
They do good work there, but the thing that bugs most locals is that they're a teaching hospital, where they're teaching college student to become vets, so you'd think they wouldn't charge as much as they do, because they charge more than vet offices do.....but again, they have equipment most vets don't have so we have to go there as needed.

Of the 4 pet visits there over the last few years, the total has been about $6,400.....always with payment plans because we never have that kind of extra money sitting around. :(

We took our cat, Grady, to State 4 years ago for a fractured leg. It was beyond the expertise of our local Vet. Total cost was $1250. However, if we had taken him to the conglomerate in Southfield, it would have been twice that. Our Vet said State's price is lower because it is tax supported.

Whatever - we consider ourselves so lucky that we are so close to such a wonderful facility.

beeniesmom
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Aww! Glad she's better. :)
Now behave yourself Kia and don't get too rowdy with your siblings!