PDA

View Full Version : Cat Allergy?

momofive
04-25-2009, 12:54 AM
H

Hi, folks!

I'm new to this board, but not new to cats! I've had cats all my life, and curreently am owned by 5 cats!

Could one develop an allergy to cats after being around them all their life? I've been experiencing intense itching, runny, itchy eyes, and runny nose when in the house or around my cat. He also likes to ride in my car and I now experience the same symptoms while in my car.

Can one develop an allergy to cats suddenly? what to do, besides take benedryl? Benedryl helps, but makes me sleepy.

Karen
04-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Sadly, it is very possible. That doesn't mean you have to give up your cat, but you do have to change your habits. Wash your hands after petting him, don't touch your face after touching him. Vacuum regularly, and consider putting something like a blanket or towel that you can easily wash down on the couch or wherever he like to nap.

Speaking as an "allergic person" - I know that allergies can develop in anyone at point in their life. You may want to get tested to make sure it is the kitty you are reacting to, and oh, do clean the surfaces in your car and set a towel down where he like to ride in that as well.

columbine
04-25-2009, 09:16 AM
This is a hard time of year to figure out exactly what you're allergic to, as all the outdoor allergens are in full force!

Cetirizine (generic Zyrtec) is a good allergy medicine that doesn't cost too much and doesn't make you sleepy. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water. When I take Benadryl, I also take Sudafed (because it's speedy!) but never after noon, and I stop if I have any trouble sleeping. If I take Benadryl more than once a day, I make sure to take a fiber supplement too. NasalCrom spray (cromolyn sodium) works, but takes a while to kick in, needs to be used every 4 hours, and is expensive. (I'm not allergic to cats, but I work in a sick building full of illegal smokers and end up paying for their inconsideration.)

Some people shampoo their cats to try to make them less allergenic, but others say it backfires because the cat then produces MORE dander, licking their fur with more allergenic saliva. I think the jury's out on that one - check with your vet.

A HEPA filter can help, as can declaring the bedroom off-limits to cats. You can ask your vet about dander-reducing sprays and wipes - there are a lot on the market, but a vet would know which ones work and are safe. A vet would also know whether a skin & coat supplement for your cats might be helpful.

Good luck!

Love, Columbine

carole
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes you can develop an allergy to anything at any time in your life,i also am allergic to cats, however my story differs in that i had not had cats in my life for over 15 years, and then along came Ash, anyhow to cut a long story short i am now owned by four beautiful cats, the ones in my siggy below, and by putting myself in amongst it all, the fur and dander, i have actually desensitised myself to a degree, i still have some problems, but mainly if i pat them then touch my eyes, other than that i manage extremely well, with the odd allergy pill and eye drops, but yes life with cats is very possible for me now ,more so than before, take all the advice given and enjoy those furbabies.:)

garebear544
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Just a guess, but your cat's probably shedding winter coat. My cat's got hair flyin' all over the place right now. Maybe get someone to give her a good brushing, then follow with the cat allergy wipes. I've heard that the Oxy Med wipes work pretty well.