PDA

View Full Version : Mac users - I need help on backing up HD

Catty1
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi!

In the next few days, it is very likely that I will need to back up the files on a Mac HD prior to installing Linux Ubuntu.

I've done some Googling, but cannot find a straightforward answer on WHICH files to back up.

On Windows, it's Documents and Settings, Desktop, Favourites, etc.

Are there 'standard' files to back up on a Mac?

Any info much appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Hellow
04-25-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't know about programs, and I see no point in backing them up as they don't run on Linux, but seeing as Leopard is Unix-based, the files you would probably need to back up is just everything in their home directory (documents, pictures, etc.)

Karen
04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Just back up the whole drive. If you don't have the space to do that, ask the person if they have back-ups of everything important to them, just in case, then back up at least the System folder and the Users folder, presuming they are using OSX.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-25-2009, 08:13 AM
My husband uses both OSX and Linux so I asked him if he had any advise for you. This is what he said...

I'd create a full bootable backup so you can do a 100% restore if things go haywire. I like SuperDuper for that: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html - Of course, then it's not readable by Linux. Otherwise I'd use a FAT32-formatted drive and backup the entire /Users directory as others have said.

Catty1
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks!

Hellow
04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
My husband uses both OSX and Linux so I asked him if he had any advise for you. This is what he said...

Oh, it certainly is possible to read it on Linux, things get a little interesting there though.