PDA

View Full Version : Help us name our baby girl...

beeniesmom
04-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok fellow PTers, this request may be strange. We need help naming our soon to be baby girl.

Hubby and I have been thinking about a name for our girl for the last few months.

These are the criteria:

1) It must be a name that is spelled and pronounced the same in Italian and English. :D
2) It has to look good on a letterhead. :p
3) It can't be changed into an awful nickname. :o

Fair enough?

We have been able to come up with 2 names so far but I am not 100% sure about them.
Hubby likes them both but I still think we haven't heard the ONE.

Thanks for your suggestions.

pomtzu
04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Alexandra Marie???

Ok - I know Alexandra is of Greek origin, but it's a fairly common name in Italian families. Both my full blooded Italian grandfather and uncle were named Alexander.

beeniesmom
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Alexandra Marie???

Ok - I know Alexandra is of Greek origin, but it's a fairly common name in Italian families. Both my full blooded Italian grandfather and uncle were named Alexander.

Yes, Alessandra (italian spelling) is a very pretty italian name.
I'll add it to the list!
Keep them coming folks.
:)

finn's mom
04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I voted for Laura, simply because I wanted to choose from the two you listed. :) And, I LOVE Grace. But, I looked up some girl names with Italian origins, and here is a list of ones I like, along with their meanings...I think your second and third requirements are pretty much going to be different for everyone. What I like on letterhead might not be your choice, and I may love a nickname that you hate, haha. SOOOO...with all that in mind, I just went with the Italian origin. There are so many pretty choices! I'm excited to hear what you guys choose...on a side note, we are still no closer to choosing between Clara and Natalie. :)

Adrina (happiness)

Aida (happy)

Aria (solo melody)

Bella (beautiful)

Luna (the moon)

Viola (violet)

Those are just the ones I like. :) And, they're easy to pronounce and spell in English, for the most part. They all sound pretty with Grace, too, I think. :) There are so many others!

finn's mom
04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
WOW! Every name so far ends in 'A'. :)

beeniesmom
04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm excited to hear what you guys choose...on a side note, we are still no closer to choosing between Clara and Natalie. :)

I hear ya. That will probably be the case for us (choosing between 2).
I guess we will both wait until the last minute.
When we see thier faces, then we will know. :)

I really like Viola! My sister's childhood best friend's name was Viola.
I've always liked it.

Sonia59
04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I did not vote because I like both names. Other suggestions in addition to the ones already proposed: Eva, Clara.

Shelteez2
04-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I've always liked the name Isabella. :)

I agree with Finn's mom in that the 3rd criteria is just going to come down to your personal choice. If it were mine Angela would be out because I don't like the nick name 'Ange' lol.

Good luck in choosing! :)

finn's mom
04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I hear ya. That will probably be the case for us (choosing between 2).
I guess we will both wait until the last minute.
When we see thier faces, then we will know. :)

I really like Viola! My sister's childhood best friend's name was Viola.
I've always liked it.

I think Viola is beautiful. I actually prefer the meaning as the actual name (Violet). It was one of my choices on our girl list at the beginning.

I told David that I wish we could be sure what color hair our daughter will have. I know you can't be sure from birth, though. ;) I just think, of the two, Natalie conjures up images of a dark haired girl, where Clara brings up more fair haired images. We have everything in our family. Our mothers are both red heads (with hazel/green eyes), dads are both dark haired (one with blue eyes, one with brown), my grandfather is blond and blue eyed. Skin tones vary from the palest of white, to really dark. Should be interesting. ;)

molucass
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Aida (happy)

That is a beautiful name... Aida would sound beautiful with Grace as a middle name.

I chose Laura Grace from the poll.

Pinot's Mom
04-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Put me down for:

Isabella Grace:)

catnapper
04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
My coworker just went through the same exact thing.

the best I liked from her was Jacqueline Grace,

lvpets2002
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
:love: I like this name as well..

Put me down for:

Husky_mom
04-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I've always liked the name Isabella. :)

Put me down for:

what can I say.. hehe.

that was gonna be my suggestion too...;)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I like both names. I honestly don't know which I like better. Part of me is leaning a little more toward Laura.

finn's mom
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
...Carmen, have you seen this?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/PuppySwimsuit.jpg

It's from Target!

http://www.target.com/Newborn-Girls-Swimsuit-Terry-Coverup/dp/B001QTG3LY/sr=1-19/qid=1240508307/ref=sr_1_19/180-2718217-1227811?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&field-browse=1038590&rh=k%3Apuppy&page=1

M&M's Mommy
04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I second (or maybe fouth) the name Isabella Grace!

Laura's Babies
04-23-2009, 02:30 PM
My Grandmothers name was Grace so you know what name I picked.. :rolleyes:

Catty1
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Violetta

Tosca

Rosina

Marcella

Zerlina

Anna

Giovanna

Laura

Carmen

Marguerita

Marisa

Viva

Ella

Don Juan's Mom will know a lot of female names from Italian operas - most of the above come from there.

I kinda like the idea of Marcella Grace (nickname is often Ella).

Karen
04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Angelica Grace? I have known too many Angelas, so I like modifying it a little more.

Maria Grace K - old fashioned, but much lesson common nowadays, and I am sure she has some Maria in her family tree ...

Lisabetta Grace?

gemini9961
04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Aida Grace or Isabella Grace

From your two on the list: Laura Grace

beeniesmom
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
...Carmen, have you seen this?

Oh my, that is adorable. I may have to purchase it!

Thanks guys for the imput!

I love the name Isabella too! I'll add that, Eva and Marisa to my list.

My mom's name is Angela; :) that's why we are considering it.

Catty, my sister's name is Giovanna and my nickname is Carmen!

lizbud
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I have always liked the name Arianna. I think it would be pronounsed
the same in both languages. Arianna Grace.

carole
04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I really love your choices of names, particularly Grace, we were going to have Angeline if we had another child, which we didn't so i guess i will have to go with Angela Grace then laura as a second choice.

Gosh Kari that outfit is simply gorgeous,girls clothes are just so darn cute, if i ever have a grandchild and it is a girl i will be spending up large on clothes, i can hardly resist buying now and i have no-one to buy for lol.:):)

cassiesmom
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Between Laura and Angela, I like Laura better. I know two Natalies and they are both blue-eyed blondes :) My niece is in 11th grade and one of her friends/classmates is Natalia.

jennielynn1970
04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
So many choices!! I love the name Natalie/Natalia.

I like Bella, or Isabella, but right now that makes me think of Twilight (movies and book series), so I guess I'd shy away from that one. There are going to be a ton of Bellas out there at some point with all the Twilight hype.

kfitzp1
04-24-2009, 03:14 PM
What about Nalla Grace, or Grace Nalla? From JR. Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood Vampire series but hey at least its not Bella lol! Kelley.

molucass
04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Eva and Marisa to my list.

Eva and Marisa are both beautiful names.

Twisterdog
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM
3) It can't be changed into an awful nickname. :o

Oh, EVERY name can turn into an awful nickname! LOL My niece named her son Zachary ... he goes by Bubba or Bert. Seriously. :rolleyes:

How about Sophia?

beeniesmom
04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

I understand about the nickname thing... I guess you can change anything into something embarrassing.

Sophia is a pretty name. Many people have suggested that to me.

My mother in law suggested that any name that I can yell/scream in the front yard, in front of people, 5 times, without sounding funny, is a good name. :o

Husky_mom
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
not a bad nickname... but an example of what can be done to a name you don´t even have.. haha

my kid is Joshua Isaac... his nicknames include Bobby... and he´s no Robert at all.. haha.. and Patiño... which came from Bob Patiño... translation from tha clown that framed Krusty in the Simpsons...

my name is Isabel Adriana... and my nick.. is Pingüi... the name of Chilly Willy in the spanish version of it.. and short of penguin (pingüino)...

conchitaroja
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I like the name Laura Grace; my sister's name is Laura & she is a very strong lady... knows what she wants & is not afraid to go for it... doesn't take any guff from anybody ... EVER!!!!! :cool:
plus... Laura Grace just seems to flow better;)

KYS
04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Between Laura G. and Angela G. I like Laura. :)

Catty1
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Rosina - the romantic heroine from the operatic sitcom "The Marriage of Figaro". ;)