PDA

View Full Version : Baby rabbit.

chunkymonkey123
04-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I found a baby rabbit today...
My cat killed the mom so I took him in.
But, I dont know what to feed him..he's approximately 2 weeks old.

Any suggestions?

chunkymonkey123
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I've been trying to get ahold of the humane society/animal control center.
Everythings closed right now...
So I need to know what I can feed him for tonight.

pomtzu
04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
It's difficult to raise a wild rabbit, and in some states, it's even illegal. Hopefully you can get him to a rescue.

I have had success and failures in raising them. Several years ago I had a survival rate of 2 out of 3, and then last year lost both of the 2 that I rescued.

They do well on milk substitute for puppies or kittens that you can get from a vet or Petsmart, and now even Walmart. You can also get tiny nursing bottles, but I found that an eyedropper worked even better. Those tiny teeth are sharp and will chew right thru the rubber nipple and they can choke on a piece if they chew it off.

happylabs
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree with pomtzu. It is very difficult to raise a wild rabbit. Most times they do not survive. If you ever just find a baby bunny and do not see the mom around, do not assume that it is abandoned. Most likely the mom is around somewhere closeby.

pomtzu
04-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I agree with pomtzu. It is very difficult to raise a wild rabbit. Most times they do not survive. If you ever just find a baby bunny and do not see the mom around, do not assume that it is abandoned. Most likely the mom is around somewhere closeby.

My outdoor kitty likes to raid nests and bring them to me as a present. He doesn't kill them like he does birds tho! It's getting to be that time of year when he'll be out gift shopping for me!!! :eek:

happylabs
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
My outdoor kitty likes to raid nests and bring them to me as a present. He doesn't kill them like he does birds tho! It's getting to be that time of year when he'll be out gift shopping for me!!! :eek:

Hmmmm....is he saying "can I keep it mom?"

pomtzu
04-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Hmmmm....is he saying "can I keep it mom?"

LOL~~~~~~~He tries to play with them, and can't figure out why they don't play back !

Seravieve
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Yikes... Good luck. We had a similar thing happen 10 or so years ago. Mom bunny made a nest near our house and a cat killed her and 1 baby. The other 6 or so babies were strewn about our yard. We tried to feed them puppy formula with little syringes and kept them on a heating pad.. but to no avail. Every one of them died. It was so heartbreaking.

chunkymonkey123
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I went to the store and got him some kitten milk.
But unfortunately, he died a few days ago.
:(

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 06:55 AM

Aww - that's too bad. Unfortunately, the success rate is never very high. :(

Karen
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM

Don't feel too bad, it is not uncommon for a baby rabbit to fail to survive, even experienced rescuers go through that.

Rest in peace, little one!