PDA

View Full Version : Certified Storm Spotter

Moesha
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I am off to go take a class sponsored by the National Weather Service to become a certified storm spotter. Weather coverage fascinates me. I could watch The Weather Channel all day when a hurricane is coming ashore. I have actually taped overnight coverage to watch the next day. We're supposed to be taught how to recognize certain weather conditions and then get a special phone number to call and report what we see on the ground. I'm so excited. I'm just sad that no one else would go with me. I hate doing things alone, and I even contemplated staying home. But I know that I would be so disappointed in myself if I did that. I hope it goes well! Has anyone else taken the class?

chocolatepuppy
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Good for you! My brother does that in Mississippi. Maybe you'll meet some fellow weather spotters whose company you enjoy and you won't feel like you're going alone next time.:)

3Catcondo
04-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Moe
That sounds really interesting. I've never heard of this before. Let us know how it goes!

Moesha
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
It was so fascinating! They even had updated their class with video of the tornadoes from Murfreesboro that happened just a couple of weeks ago. I feel much better informed, but really want to research more about thunderstorms and tornadoes to learn as much as I can. He also gave us a website, www.cocorahs.org where anyone can go and record daily rainfall amounts and track weather events. I am going to check that out as well. I highly recommend attending for anyone that knows of a class being held in their area.

Cinder & Smoke
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
It was so fascinating!

I highly recommend attending for anyone that knows of a class being held in their area.

Information on the NWS SKYWARN (Storm Spotter) program can be found at >>>

http://www.weather.gov/skywarn/

Moesha
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a SKYWARN decal for my car. :) (And a souvenir weather service pen that I can't sell on ebay.)

Laura's Babies
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I bet there are even forums for weather spotters...

Hellow
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I myself want to become a SKYWARN Weather Spotter for the NWS, but being 14, that probably wouldn't work. heh.

Moesha
04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
There were young people there. They didn't give an age limit when inviting the community to attend.